Thread: outboard for cat

Default outboard for cat

hi all,
    in typical fashion, i haven't searched this topic yet, but mean to. i'm shopping for a 5-10 hp outboard for my 14' nrs rivercat. i was hoping to find out from the forum what general specs should i be looking for. i have an nrs frame on my cat and suspect i will be buying a corresponding transom for it. am i looking for a long shaft? what type of prop? anything to avoid? is this a good hp rating for my boat? this unit will be used for skilak crossings, slow downstream river cruising, etc. any help will be much appreciated. Take care, abel6wt

I do know there was a thread on this sometime around last spring. They had some video links of cats fully on step racing. it was cool. there was alot of info on outboards for cats though. Especially for just barging accross places like skilak. Also Mike S, and moose might want to chime in on this as they are very knowledgeable in this area
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Sounds like youíre on the right track for HP. I have an NRS frame also and for a motor mount I just had two 16" flat plates welded on sandwiching the two horizontal cross bars on the yoke, then also had gussets welded on either side of that yoke between the two horizontal bars for strength. This cost me at the time (12 years ago) $100.00 and added very minimal weight to the frame. I run a 20hp long shaft 4 stroke on this 18' cat and it works great. As far as your prop goes, I wouldn't worry about that, the only thing that I would definitely be looking for in an outboard is a 4 stroke. The regs are going to be changing very soon on the Kenai system that will only allow 4 strokes and oil injected 2 strokes. IMO you may as well just get a 4 stroke and call it good. I occasionally see some very good deals pop up on Craigslist for newer small 4 strokes.

This is about the best pic I have of my system. If you look realllllly hard you might be able to see it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default cat motor

Able6, do you have a rigid floor in your setup or the mesh floor? Even at slow cruising speeds you'll get a lot of water through the floor between the tubes. I had a 16' Rivercat setup with an outboard and wood floor over the mesh and it helped but unless you have somthing similar to the 'ol splash floor AKR&K used to sell(I dont think they do anymore) you will see some water. Mostly used it for canyon runs. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by AK Troutbum View Post
    Sounds like youíre on the right track for HP. I have an NRS frame also and for a motor mount I just had two 16" flat plates welded on sandwiching the two horizontal cross bars on the yoke, then also had gussets welded on either side of that yoke between the two horizontal bars for strength. This cost me at the time (12 years ago) $100.00 and added very minimal weight to the frame. I run a 20hp long shaft 4 stroke on this 18' cat and it works great. As far as your prop goes, I wouldn't worry about that, the only thing that I would definitely be looking for in an outboard is a 4 stroke. The regs are going to be changing very soon on the Kenai system that will only allow 4 strokes and oil injected 2 strokes. IMO you may as well just get a 4 stroke and call it good. I occasionally see some very good deals pop up on Craigslist for newer small 4 strokes.
    Just curious, what does a 20 hp 4 stroke weigh? My 25 hp 2 stroke weighs just 70 pounds. My 45 hp hondas on my cabin cruiser weigh 210 pounds each.

You are likely right about the 2 stroke regulation on the Kenai. It would not surprise me that the Little Su follows suit with what the Kenai does as it is failing its pollution measurements too. Yet, with the river data results from this year and how much cleaner the Kenai was than it was the previous year, it might not happen for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by T.R. Bauer View Post
    Just curious, what does a 20 hp 4 stroke weigh? My 25 hp 2 stroke weighs just 70 pounds. My 45 hp hondas on my cabin cruiser weigh 210 pounds each.

You are likely right about the 2 stroke regulation on the Kenai. It would not surprise me that the Little Su follows suit with what the Kenai does as it is failing its pollution measurements too. Yet, with the river data results from this year and how much cleaner the Kenai was than it was the previous year, it might not happen for a long time.
    I heard rumor that the Kenai was slated to change in 09, then I heard for sure in 2010. I don't know if any of this is true, don't know if anybody does know for sure. I have a Yamaha 20 horse 4 stroke that weighs 118 lbs. dry, I believe the Hondas are about the same weight. I also know that the 25HP 4 stroke Honda weighs around 185 lbs.

What i have read is that outboards on the Kenai have to be 4 stroke or direct injection 2 stroke for *July only* in 2009. It was the same in 2008. Starting in 2010 the restriction will be year round.

I assume this applies to Kenai Lake and Skilak Lake as well as the river itself, but I read some speculation that for some reason it doesn't. Anyone know for sure?

I don't cross Skilak Lake but once every few years, and it would be a shame to have to replace my 2hp Yamaha. It's a sweet little thing.

Ya, it will be the entire Kenai river system, that's Kenai lake down. The idea being there's no sense in just making it apply to the lower Kenai river while allowing the upper Kenai to continue to be polluted by 2 stroke emissions. **** rolls down hill.

Default Hey! Motor Mount!

If you were running a bigger boat or if you know your going to run water that is mixed i.e. sometimes 1ft some times 8ft you might consider an adjustable mount.

If your main intent is to raft the Kenai 90 percent of the time I would suggest a standard mount as shown and described in the post and picture posted by AK Troutbum.

NRS plate sold at AR&K and BMR sits on top of your standard back brace of the Cat Frame as well as the lower bar has two U bolts that secure it and is movable from one inflatable cat to the next. This is what I use most of the time. If I were running a double tubed Cougar or 18ft cat I would change over to adjustable.

If your a true motor head and want to expand your options based on your frame configuration you will want to look at the adjustable transom which in turn will cost you some bucks however it will give you the option of having a short shaft verse the standard long shaft which in turn equates to a weigth savings depending on the motor that you have or purchase.

Mike has a link and a great break down of the set up.

Give our sponsor friends Alaska Raft and Kayak a call they will also put you onto the link for the adjustable.

Blue Moose

Some info here...

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=37456

Quote Originally Posted by abel6wt View Post
    hi all,
    in typical fashion, i haven't searched this topic yet, but mean to. i'm shopping for a 5-10 hp outboard for my 14' nrs rivercat. i was hoping to find out from the forum what general specs should i be looking for. i have an nrs frame on my cat and suspect i will be buying a corresponding transom for it. am i looking for a long shaft? what type of prop? anything to avoid? is this a good hp rating for my boat? this unit will be used for skilak crossings, slow downstream river cruising, etc. any help will be much appreciated. Take care, abel6wt

My primary boat is a 16' NRS River Cat with a mesh floor.

I have a 4-stoke, 5hp Honda with a heavy (5-10lb), removable transom. If I don't need the transom it is easy to take off before a trip. The motor, I believe, is around 60lbs, which makes it an easy one-man transport/portage. I use a small gas can, so it doesn't get in the way when loading my boat. It is super reliable. My boat goes slow, especially when it's loaded. When there are significant waves; like on Skilak, Paxson, Louis, etc; the spray can be pretty bad, but definitely tolerable. It's really helpful when you want to make good time going downstream through "dull" water.

If you want to check it out, pm me. I am out in Peters Creek.