Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just cound'nt shot it

Default Just cound'nt shot it

First off,cabin fever is is at max with me,been trying to get out and about,been 20-below for a week or so,any wind don't bother to try pulling the sno-go cord,went out to get a sno-go that the pull cord would not retract,on the way less then 1/3 mile my younghest daughter and i saw a wollf,again it is -20 or so,drew my ar-15 started to throw some lead,well could not hit the broad side of a barn,could not even see were my shots were hitting-cold!-anyway the wolf ran off in to the brush,i left my daughter on the sno-go with it running and told her to just go if it came out as i went in to track it and make sure i did not hit it,well it made off for off a mile or so when i called it quites,we went home.a couple day's later i went to get the sled by myself and saw the wolf at the same spot,descided to get as close as i could and that was close,i got within 50 yrds and it was still laying down nawining on a moose kill which was only bone,stopped the sno-go and walked slowly towarded it with it in the sights,and the little b--- started to wag its tail at me as if he were my pet.put two and two together and saw he was on his own as i and just trying to survive.don't get me wrong on being SOFT but this was a first for me and just wondering if others have experinced something like this.

I've given lots of critters a pass.Don't know what it is but its kind of like seeing them as just tring to make a liveing.At times the animal seems to be haveing suck a bad day you don't want to make it worse and other times they are haveing such a great day you don't want to spoil it.

Default Humanity?

I think that might be a good name for what you experienced. Something else that comes to mind is a "True Sportman". I fully understand your situation and admire you for it and I'm admintantly jealous of your situation. I don't think that is often in life that we get to experience that side of raw and pure nature and it's a feeling that i can only imagine that will remain with you for the rest of your life, congrats!!!

Even the ones we do shoot deserve thanks and prayers. This just shows you are a true hunter.

Default tboehm

Kinda sorta of,always had respect for the wildlife here,use to be that any and all furs were cash to help feed the young ones and pay the bills.

Default Not sure

I'm not sure why everyone thinks they have to be like a little kid with a BB-gun; shooting every target that presents itself. PEER PRESSURE maybe. That seems to be the normal consensus though, it's there-it's legal shoot it.
    You probably had more fun with your daughter out rideing sno-gos than you would have going back home and skinning a wolf though, I'm sure she did. There's always next time and the adventures await.
    Congrats on a great day in the outdoors.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Default Ya i did

and that is i had a great time with my daughter going out and about,she's pushing 16,and it was her that i asked if we should harvest the wolf,with her helping out and learning how to skin it.she said ya and film it,don't be looking for it on y tube!anyway we are infested with lots of wolfs here and i have no problem with harvesting as many as i can,it is that this one kinda look me in the eye and-------

Same thing has happened to me. I can't explain the why, it just seems like sometimes it isn't the right thing to do. Its even happened with the animal in the crosshairs and finger on the trigger. I just couldn't pull the trigger for some reason. I've never regretted not doing it but don't ask me to explain why.

Talking hear ya

Quote Originally Posted by brav01 View Post
    I'm not sure why everyone thinks they have to be like a little kid with a BB-gun; shooting every target that presents itself. PEER PRESSURE maybe. That seems to be the normal consensus though, it's there-it's legal shoot it.
    You probably had more fun with your daughter out rideing sno-gos than you would have going back home and skinning a wolf though, I'm sure she did. There's always next time and the adventures await.
    Congrats on a great day in the outdoors.
    I recall a story that two friends were fishing and a large Antelope showed up. One man walked to his truck, pulled out a rifle. The other asked what he was going to do and the one replied, "I'm gonna shoot him". When asked why (closed season), he stammered, "uh, uh, well, cause he's there!" The other one replied, "if you do, the first stop I make when we leave here, will be the F&G." The Antelope walked away. Sadly, this attitude is very, very prevelent with most "hunters" I know. Ethical hunters have my sincere respect. If it's wrong, it's wrong, and no matter how we try to justify and gloss over our actions, we know inside...it's still wrong. Thanks for sharing the story Gusuk.
    If you like getting kicked by a mule...then you'll "love" shooting my .458.

This thread pleases me a lot. I see two REPS here already.

Juneau has one of those lonely wolves and with any luck he'll be back again this year. For all I know, he might be, but I'm not really keeping up with the news.

A friend of mine shot a deer once which was the mission for the day. But, once it was down, we both agreed that it had looked so noble laying there with it's head up surveying his domain below that it would have been equally awesome to have just gotten his picture. Of course, we dined on it, and that was awesome too, but to see it in such a majestic pose was pretty thrilling on it's own too.

My grandfather, who killed over 3,000 wolves in Alaska once told me, "I'd hate to be the one to kill the last wolf." I understood that he loved to see them and genuinely respected them.

Once, when deer hunting I came across a really small rabbit on the way back down the mountain. I had just reached a point where most people who hunt up in that area find the trail, and I thought, this guy (the rabbit) is going to be bait for some killer. It wasn't moving, so I petted it, then gave it a couple of nudges with my boot to get it off into the bushes a bit.

I also knew a trapper once that had quit trapping foxes because he told me for $15.00, they were worth more to him alive.

Gus, you have a mental image that will not pass. A great memory and experience to cherrish.

This is excellent! The hunter vs. the killer shows up in the threads again.
    "...just because we didn't agree with you doesn't mean we didn't have good discussion. It just means you missed it." -JMG-

I do most all of my predator hunting with a camera now days. I open the computer to view all my trophies. Nothing wrong with that.

I admire your respect for the animal, I wish more people here in S.E. had the same thought process. There's another thread on here about the snow down here and its affect on the deer. Was out the other day and saw lots of deer down on the beach eating seaweed and such. Problem is, most of them were fawns or yearlings who's mothers had been shot. There's three and four feet of snow inside the tree line in some spots so its hard for them to get around. I shot my five bucks all by the middle of November. As of late, I've taken only bucks, let the does go, I kind of feel that shooting a doe is about the same as walking into my kitchen and shooting my fridge and freezer. The problem I'm seeing now is a lot of guys going "hunting" which is code for cruise the beaches and drink beer. These are the guys that haven't even walked in the woods all fall, it's too much work. I'd like to see the State and the Feds shut down the January season to give the deer a break. Either that or at least get some more enforcement out (not that I really want it, it's just needed). The other day at the launch I saw two grown men trailering their boat with about six deer in it, the biggest one was about the size of my Lab pup. I was so disgusted that I couldn't even manage to take the time to say "Hi", just walked away.

Several here seem to think you showed "respect" for the animal by not shooting it. Would it then be correct to say it would have been disrespectful if you had shot it? If it hadn't wagged it's tail, would you have shot? Your staying in a semi remote location, right? Are you working? Would that fur have clothed or earned money for your family? Could one argue that it was "disrespectful" to your family to pass on a source of income?
    1991 I was cruising down an interior river in early Oct. Had been setting up trapping camp on that river, 40 air miles from the nearest town. Rounded a bend and there was a good looking gray wolf. Sitting on the bank. It raised up, wagged it's tail like it was happy to see me, and sat back down. Acted just like a dog happy to see it's owner. I shot it. I think I got 300 bucks for it that winter. Was I disrespectful? As I beached the little boat, other wolves started howling. I howled back and hung around. I would have shot more. Fur was my income that winter.
    I don't think you did anything right, wrong, respecful, or disrespectful. You just did what you felt like at the moment.
    I bet several guys are giving you "rep" points for your post.
    I bet some of those same guys give stranger rep points for his multiple dead animal posts.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Wink Bang bang

Random thoughts here...Nothing very inciteful from me today, althongh I probably would have shot it. On the other side of the coin, you lead a remote lifestyle that few of us will ever truely experience. One predator giving a pass to another predator, interesting. I have also noticed that I alter some of my actions while I'm out with my kids, and I also lean toward more "catch and release" in these situations. At that moment on that day in that unusual situation you did the right thing for you and yours...

...And that wolf got a pass and had a very good mid-winter day, while feeding on the moose that had recently had a bad day.

Charlie Vandergaw, after shooting everything in Alaska including many B&C record book qualifying sheep and bears, became a kinder and gentler soul as he aged and now lives among black and brown bears that routinely, regularly visit him at his semi-remote cabin, sometimes called the "bear farm". Watch yourself, gusak1. We would not want to lose a fine big game guide to the other side.

Dennis
    AK TAGS

Default funny

That last post cracks me up! Stay away from the light.

Default Give him a break

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    Several here seem to think you showed "respect" for the animal by not shooting it. Would it then be correct to say it would have been disrespectful if you had shot it? If it hadn't wagged it's tail, would you have shot? Your staying in a semi remote location, right? Are you working? Would that fur have clothed or earned money for your family? Could one argue that it was "disrespectful" to your family to pass on a source of income?
    1991 I was cruising down an interior river in early Oct. Had been setting up trapping camp on that river, 40 air miles from the nearest town. Rounded a bend and there was a good looking gray wolf. Sitting on the bank. It raised up, wagged it's tail like it was happy to see me, and sat back down. Acted just like a dog happy to see it's owner. I shot it. I think I got 300 bucks for it that winter. Was I disrespectful? As I beached the little boat, other wolves started howling. I howled back and hung around. I would have shot more. Fur was my income that winter.
    I don't think you did anything right, wrong, respecful, or disrespectful. You just did what you felt like at the moment.
    I bet several guys are giving you "rep" points for your post.
    I bet some of those same guys give stranger rep points for his multiple dead animal posts.

I doubt that many other wolves will get any warm fuzzies from Gusuk1, so what's wrong with letting one pass now and again. I have buddies out in Dillingham that carry a gun for hundreds of miles on their backs while riding a snowgo just praying for the chance to smack a wolf and would never ever pass one up....to which I say...."Baaah on you guys"...if you can't let one go once in a while, or are just compelled to kill everything you see....stay the heck away from me.

Do you believe in Karma, Martentrapper? Displaying a little compassion once in awhile can come around back to you when you need it.

If he got rep points for it, so be it, but I'd hope this is something that all of us would do, no matter whether it's a grouse, hare, moose, bou, or a wolf....it's not a sin or a sissy thing to do to just put the safety back on. I like my fur hat and moose steak as much as anyone but those animals are certainly prettier standing there looking at me.

Good on ya Gusuk1....just make sure you shoot a few before calving time

Quote Originally Posted by Catch It View Post
    I doubt that many other wolves will get any warm fuzzies from Gusuk1, so what's wrong with letting one pass now and again.
    Didn't say anything was wrong with it. Just asking questions.

"Baaah on you guys"...if you can't let one go once in a while, or are just compelled to kill everything you see....stay the heck away from me.
    How do we know when and which one to let go? Is there a "right" number of wolves to kill each season? Can we shoot several thru out the winter and then let a scraggly one go at the end of the season? How about trapping? Are we supposed to let some of the animals we catch out of the trap/snare to garner your good favor?

If he got rep points for it, so be it, but I'd hope this is something that all of us would do, no matter whether it's a grouse, hare, moose, bou, or a wolf....
    I think many of us only get one or 2 chances to shoot something during the legal hunting season. Are you saying we are better off to let an animal pass than to take it...........even if we only get that one chance?
    I have a Musk Ox tag to fill, Catch. Can I get your phone number so I can find out wehether or not to shoot one that day, and which one to shoot, or pass on so I get some of that "Karma"?
    Thanks!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

he didn't shoot the wolf....so what....
    someone else woulda shot it....so what.

Gusuk, you gotta do what you think is best and ride with that....i wouldn't have second guessed ya, and still don't.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    Didn't say anything was wrong with it. Just asking questions.

How do we know when and which one to let go? Is there a "right" number of wolves to kill each season? Can we shoot several thru out the winter and then let a scraggly one go at the end of the season? How about trapping? Are we supposed to let some of the animals we catch out of the trap/snare to garner your good favor?

I think many of us only get one or 2 chances to shoot something during the legal hunting season. Are you saying we are better off to let an animal pass than to take it...........even if we only get that one chance?
    I have a Musk Ox tag to fill, Catch. Can I get your phone number so I can find out wehether or not to shoot one that day, and which one to shoot, or pass on so I get some of that "Karma"?
    Thanks!

As usual, you're pretty uptight on intitial posts and subsequent responses to your intitial posts.

My point in this is that the need to kill to define success etc. is often waaaaay overplayed in hunting circles. I don't know if you are the kind of guy that kills everything he legally can, I'd hope not, but your post suggested it. So as of now, no, you haven't garnered my good favor....so there.

And no, we shouldn't pass on all animals, that's silly, because sometimes man needs that meat, or fur (i understand and live this) but that a person even has the processes to pass on a shot shows that they have the ability to respect nature in a different way. We have thumbs and tools and therefore we CAN dominate nature if we wish, it just doesn't mean that we have to all the time...

Good luck with the Musk Ox, if you or your communities freezer needs filled, I guess you have my blessing (insert eye roll here).

Are there any of you out there that are finding it harder to kill things? I must admit; I let more pass than not. When young I killed more things than I care to admit, now that I am older, I tend to let things pass.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast