Thread: Carbon arrow tuning?

Default Carbon arrow tuning?

I have got my aluminum arrows flying like a champ, almost even got a bunny in the front yard the other day. Now, Im tackling the carbon arrows that my wife bought me. Adding weight to the front and back and taking it out, then losing the point and weights in the target. Is it even worth it? I have arrows that fly good(aluminum). Do, I need to completely re-tune the bow now that I am trying to shoot a different type of arrow?

Yes, retuning is needed for any arrow change. You will find that carbons are much more forgiving than aluminum when it comes to tuning. Plus they don't dent or bend. Much more durable for practice. Depending on your arrow just make sure and watch your front of center balance. Sometimes 100 grain points can be a little light for the overall lightweight shaft. Seem to get nicer arrow flight with 125's due to a better FOC. Good luck with the tuning.

Default your arrows

What arrows did she get you?

What is your draw weight and length? What is make and model of your bow?

She got me goldtip 3355, I have a custom recurve and the limbs on there now are 56#@28" but my draw length is 30" so I know my draw weight is a little more. I think I need heavier arrows from everything I have read. I shot them today and seemed to shoot a little straigter after a couple of different weight combos.

I would, at a minimum, bump those to the GT 5575's and I have found that spining it up a full set is often a key (7595s) ... I can almost garentee that 3555s are to light ... almost dangerously so! Getting weight forward helps significantly. I have gone from 145gr to 200gr and got the results I was lokking for - other folks have ventured into 300gr field point/broadheads (they hit like a train). As far as tuning them, do it just like the alums ... start long and then cutting back ... when your near right, start playing with wieght forward ... then fletching them with ever increasing helical. Bingada-bada-boom ... your there.
    If your alum arrows are flying right and you like them ... there is no reason to change (other then you want to). Some series are getting harder and harder to find though.