Thread: Leupold vs Nikon Spotting Scopes

Default Leupold vs Nikon Spotting Scopes

I have found a decent deal on a Leupold Sequoia 15-45 scope, as well as a Nikon ProStaff 16-48. I know they arent a Zeis, but does anyone have any good practical use of either of these scopes? How much do you like them? Why would you recomend one over the other?
    Shawn

Quote Originally Posted by AKShawn View Post
    I have found a decent deal on a Leupold Sequoia 15-45 scope, as well as a Nikon ProStaff 16-48. I know they arent a Zeis, but does anyone have any good practical use of either of these scopes? How much do you like them? Why would you recomend one over the other?
    Shawn

leupold and nikon both offer a quality product for the money, even their budget line. these scopes are made "out of country" and so the costs are lower. leupold is built in japan, nikon in china or phillipines. they offer a good warranty however. optics, budget or not, vary from item to item. compare them side by side and pick the one that offers the best image.

when you test them, don't look at a bright object. look into the darkest part of the store, as that will give a better test of optic clarity

**tip: you can't kill quality optics, buy a high grade used scope instead of a new inexpensive model. this economy will pay dividends for years to come, and someone else took the bite for depreciation.

happy trails.
    jh

Default Do not

DO NOT get the sequioa. I bought one several yearas ago (since I'm very happy with all my other Leupold glass) and ended up sending it right back to them. The thing wouldnt focus at the highest power. Got a replacement and same deal. I even wrote Leupold and asked them to discontinue the POS.

I ended up buying a used Nikon 15-45 and I think it's a prostaff but like 10 years old. There are no other markings on it besides the Nikon molding. I am very happy with it.

I've heard of several people who were unhappy with the Sequoia line.

And I'm a fan of thier scopes, but it seems the Sequoia just does not stack up. Best thing to do is check one out with your own eyes before buying an decide for yourself.