Thread: Another fun day with little tjm...

Default Another fun day with little tjm...

we aren't catching big ones but it sure is a good time...

Attached Images Attached Images
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Default that's great

put a big smile on my face. Thanks for posting!

What age do they get the patience to finally fish? My boy is almost 2 now, and I've had him out a couple of times. He loves the ride in the sled out onto the ice, he loves "helping" clear the holes, he loves watching the fish swimming in the hole, and he loves falling asleep 15 minutes into the fishing! Don't get me wrong, these moments are awesome, but I can't wait until he pulls his first one in!
    Although some can call it Catchin', I still have to call it fishin'.

Quote Originally Posted by arcticat500 View Post
    What age do they get the patience to finally fish?
    I'm sure it differs between kids but I think I may have lucked out...

the one in the picture just turned 4...his first trip out with me he had just turned 3 and he did great...now he is pretty self sufficient if it is just he and I...He'll sit there and jig his bait around and watch it on the screen waiting to see the fish...he gets pretty excited when they do come around...lol...the kind of excited that turns all his words to jibberish...lol...if one of his buddies are around, however, he gets pretty distracted and seems to want to play outside more than fish, but that ok too...

my youngest is almost 2 and a half...his attention span is actually greater than my 4yo but he just needs a little more help to hook/land 'em...

thankfully, they both do well around the heaters and keep away...

we certainly aren't on any marathon fishing excursions...lol...today was only 2 hours or so...I usually spend more time driving, setting up, and tearing down than actually fishing but I'm sure that will improve by the summer...

you may have already seen it but here is a vid of WG and me with the kiddos' last year....mine was 3 and WG little girl was barely 2 and a half...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8flU...e=channel_page

I can't wait until he pulls his first one in!
    hopefully you'll have a camera handy and show us when he does....
    pull my finger....

I think that he may be ''hooked'' for life! The smile tells it all!

What a great picture. Sometimes, from reading this forum, I begin to fear we forget what it is all about.....thanks for the reminder. You are one lucky dad.

What age do they get the patience to finally fish? My boy is almost 2 now, and I've had him out a couple of times. He loves the ride in the sled out onto the ice, he loves "helping" clear the holes, he loves watching the fish swimming in the hole, and he loves falling asleep 15 minutes into the fishing! Don't get me wrong, these moments are awesome, but I can't wait until he pulls his first one in!

Lets see..... 29 =D

My dad tells me stories of me when I was like 5 going off by myself at lakes in TX and catching Bass but I don't recall much of that. Have done minor amounts of fishing over the years growing up, but I really didn't get into fishing until my wife got orders to Alaska last Feb. Few cool guys here on base have showed me the ropes and now I'm "Hooked". Can't wait for summer to hit, got my old man coming up for about a month, a halibut charter already booked and hopefully some good salmon/trout fishing mixed in. Still learning but everyone I've talked to on the base or on the river have been nothing but friendly and great help.

Here's a couple pictures, my first salmon on the Russian and a 1 with my kids. Daughter is 5, son just turned 3, was 2 when picture were taken.

Well last year my 4yo (5 now) got bored and just wanted to wonder around the bank playing with carcasses, but my 6 yo would fish untill we drug him out of the water!

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Well last year my 4yo (5 now) got bored and just wanted to wonder around the bank playing with carcasses,
    too funny, my little guy actually reeled in a carcass...one of the most memorable catches to date..."What kind of fish is that daddy?"...lol..

at least your little guy isn't afraid of the dead ones......now if he started to roll in 'em to get some scent like my dog does then you'd probably have an issue on your hands...lol
    pull my finger....

Default tjm

Great Vid. It just gets better and better as they grow and soon show you how it's done. Brings back great memories thanks for sharing.

You definitely don't want to push them. I made that mistake with my older boys and not with the younger ones. Now the younger two (6 and 7) are fishin' fools and the older two (9 and 11)like to go but don't care if they catch a fish or not. I think you should make it fun, be prepared to have a short trip if they want to quit, bring snacks and other food, try to make it a successful trip by going to a lake where there are lots of little fish, make sure they don't get cold and hate it, etc.