Thread: case trimmer or trim die?

Default case trimmer or trim die?

I want to be able to trim my 30-06 cases. Was going to get a trim die but can't find one locally. Looking on line Midway has them for $35 but they also have a Lyman Universal trimmer with 9 pilots for $62. Given that it is not that much more and would let me trim anything I am thinking that is a better deal. Does anyone have experience with this are they good? Or is this one of those deals where you get what you pay for?

Quote Originally Posted by bandhmo View Post
    I want to be able to trim my 30-06 cases. Was going to get a trim die but can't find one locally. Looking on line Midway has them for $35 but they also have a Lyman Universal trimmer with 9 pilots for $62. Given that it is not that much more and would let me trim anything I am thinking that is a better deal. Does anyone have experience with this are they good? Or is this one of those deals where you get what you pay for?

The rotary trimmer is far better, more versatile. The die is just for that caliber and is more work, file across the top. The trim die is only an advantage when you are making one case from another such as making 300 Savage from the 30-06 and even then that can eb done with a sizer die (which you need to load) and a rotary trimmer. Some advise; Buy the Forster trimmer. It is modular and can be up graded and added to easily and cheaply. It is also a very fine working, easy to use trimmer with parts (extra pilots, collets, neck turning, and neck reaming tools). It is also very economical.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default Rcbs

I just received an RCBS trimmer from my son for Christmas.
    It didn't come with any pilots or anything so I need to order those up. I have heard the RCBS trimmers are good.
    I have been using a Lee trimmer and those are very inexpensive.

I haven't put the Lee trimmed brass on an RCBS to see if they are straight but I think the Lee does OK?

Thanks for the advice I just ordered the Forster Original trimmer kit. It looks like a nicer made unit then the Lyman and not much more $.

Thanks for the advice I just ordered the Forster Original trimmer kit. It looks like a nicer made unit then the Lyman and not much more $.
    You'll need a micrometer, too. The plastic ones from RCBS are entirely sufficient for the job, and cheap. Might be some cheaper metal ones around, but it's nice that the RCBS model comes with a chart of case lengths right in the same carry case. Sure saves digging around for max/min lengths when you move from caliber to caliber.

Why forster over the wilson? Is it just the cost of the wilson body dies, or is there some other reason. Speed maybe?
    The individual right to keep and bear arms shall not be denied or infringed by the State or a political subdivision of the State.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    You'll need a micrometer, too. The plastic ones from RCBS are entirely sufficient for the job, and cheap.
    I have never seen a plastic micrometer, do you mean calipers? A micrometer looks like a "C" clamp and they come in sets 0"to1" then 1"to2" then 2"to 3" and so on. Calipers usually are 0"to6" and shaped like a old pipe wrench. Calipers are much more useful but a bit less accuracy than a micrometer, the average reloaded will never need more accuracy than calipers give.

Micrometer
    http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=882955

Calipers
    http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=128288

Trimmer?
    I have an RCBS hand crank trimmer that came with all the pilots, collets, and holders. I remove the hand crank and chuck the shaft in a drill to turn it. Its old cast iron and I don't find the same model on line but this is close, the holder is not the same and may be better than mine.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=795961

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by bgreen View Post
    Why forster over the wilson? Is it just the cost of the wilson body dies, or is there some other reason. Speed maybe?
    There's nothing wrong with the Wilson, all the Wilson stuff is very good. It is more expensive, and the trimmer is more complicated and less friendly to readjust for another caliber. It offers a higher level of precision than is needed for a general duty trimmer. The Forster is more than precise enough, is economically priced and easy to switch from caliber to caliber and has the least expensive and simpliest accessories such as case neck turning and reaming pilot cutters. For inside neck reaming (rarely needed) the cutter/pilot will do its job while trimming the cases on the trimmer cutter. So many accessories are available for the Forster and it is sold everywhere now. I have several trimmers, (lots of wildcattin') but I use the Forster the most. I have the hex driver attachment for the battery powered driver and it is quick efficient and chatter free.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Reloading Bench 013.jpg  
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I'm looking to buy a new trimmer too, and the Forster seems the way to go. However, it appears that you have to have different bases to trim different length cases. I want a trimmer that can handle .223 to .376 H & H. Will the Forster handle this with one base?

Brent

From what I read on midways webpage the Forester Original will do up to 2.94" which would include the 375 H&H, but not much longer. The Classic is suppose to handle 1-7/8" to 4-1/8" which would not include the 223.

So the way I read it the Original will do about any "normal" up to and in mag length cases.

What I did Was buy both Foster trimmer bodies, and mounted them to a 6in x 8in piece of hardwood, really easy to switch units around and takes just minutes to change out. Foster trimmers are very user friendly and give consistant results for me.

Jesse

I just received my Lyman Universal recently and I'm vary satisfied with it. It's a very high quality and you can't beat it for the price. Read the reviews on it. I also have an Original Forester, but it won't accomodate larger cases such as the .458, 45-70 and .348. The Lyman will handle all these and others.
    If you like getting kicked by a mule...then you'll "love" shooting my .458.