Thread: Mounting A Scope

Default Mounting A Scope

I just got in my custom rifle recently and I want to put a scope on it.

It's not just any old rifle (to me) it's a .5 MOA shooter. So I'm hoping for someone who would treat it as such and do a decent job finding a mount/rings and putting the whole thing together.

My receiver is already drilled and tapped.

I live in mid-town Anchorage. Any recommendations?

Thanks

Jason

Default Scope Mount

Why don't you do it yourself? Not much to it.

Don't know how to, never had any of my rifles scoped before.

Now's a good time to learn. Gotta be forum member who lives near ya willing to help out.

Quote Originally Posted by 300S&W View Post
    Gotta be forum member who lives near ya willing to help out.
    Hope so, it'd be nice to save money for ammo

If you know of anyone who would be willing to teach, I'm willing to learn.

It would SURPRISE me if no one offers to help. Just keep checking your thread.

The last scope I bought, the dealer put it on for me although I would have done it myself. I'm glad he did, because I watched and learned how to do it accurately. He used loctite on all the screws. Here's what he did.

1) placed the rifle in a rest and put a small magnetic level on the receiver's scope base and leveed it, right - left, not front - back..
    2) put a level glued to a small round magnet on the muzzle and leveled that level to the one on the receiver.
    3) removed the level from the reciever and attached the bases and bottom ring halves, using loctite.
    4) placed the scope in the bottom ring halves, and attached the top halves of the rings, but not tight.
    5) took the rifle and gave it to me to hold to adjust scope forward/backward to fit my eye relief. Need to be careful here, that the level on the muzzle is not disturbed.
    6) put the rifle back in the rest and leveled it usine the level attached magmetically to the muzzle.
    7) took the level used to level the receiver and put it on the top turret of the scope and leveled the scope in the rings, then double checked the muzzle level again.
    8) tightened down the ring screws incrementally. Good to go.

what kind of scope? what rings and bases?

Default Lapping rings

You might want to check into lapping your scope rings for better alignment

If you are wondering what lapping is here is a link that explains it

http://www.riflescopeblog.com/2006/0...ope-rings.html

As for rings, I think talley rings are great.

I offer my help, I've put many scopes on, but I've never lapped any of them and I don't bore sight.

I'm pretty sure another forum member here in anchorage has more experience and equipment than me when it comes to scope mounting.

As for taking your rifle to someone else to mount, I did that with my very first rifle many years ago, and I will never do it again. The only way to be certain it's being done right is to do it yourself. Or as the above post said, watch them do it if you are going to take it someone.

Good luck, and let me know if you want my help.

MontanaRifleman, thanks for the step by step guide. Sounds complicated when I read it. Probably easy when it's done in person.

Wildalaska, the scope is an old Unertl, model "Hawk". It's a 4 power scope with fine crosshairs. I don't have any rings or bases, and I don't know how to pick them out which is the main reason for wanting to go to a gunsmith/gunstore.

AKF , why would you never take in a rifle to be scoped?

Thanks,
    Jason

The first really nice rifle I bought for myself I had a guy at an unnamed gun store (as per forum policy) mount and boresight my scope. He seemed like he knew what he was doing. Luckily, I shot it alot before I took it out hunting. After the third day at the range, I was checking the mount and 75% of the hardware was loose. So I studied up on it and did it myself and have never had a problem. I've never done lapping (not that I wouldn't, just don't have the gear), but I have mounted scopes dozens of times and they have always been accurate and absolutely secure. I mounted a scope with Talley Lightweight rings on a Tikka T3 7mm mag this summer, dragged it up and down ressurection pass three different times (biking, hiking, crawling and bushwacking) came back and the thing will still put three holes touching on the paper at 100 yards.

My point is that I would never take it to someone to do it because I can do it myself and the only time I had someone do it, the mounting was screwed up.

All that aside, if you desire to take it to someone, I can highly recommend Steve at Alaska Custom Firearms on Old Seward just north of Dimond. He is a sponser on this forum and I have used his services many times. Highly recommend him.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason762 View Post
    . Sounds complicated when I read it. Probably easy when it's done in person.
    Yup, it sounds more complicated than it is. It's really a very basic process. The idea is to get the crosshairs properly alligned ith your bore. If they are mis-allinged, it will change your POI at different ranges.