Thread: Good and Bad Story...

Default Good and Bad Story...

I don't want to start another huge debate about dogs and traps. That is why I think this story is more appropriate posted here. Its a tear jerker.

http://www.newsminer.com/news/2009/j...g-owners-life/

From my interactions with him, Barry seems like a pretty good guy. I'm glad everything worked out.

Apparently my lab got caught in a snare over thanksgiving. Luckily he just sat down until my best friend loosened the cable. I would really like trappers to put out signs saying there's a trapline in the area. At the very least, I would pay much closer attention to my dog.

Default I agree

Labman,

I am in no way anti trapping. I have been known to set out a few bunnie snares myself. But I agree if there is a sign up then I either go the other way or keep the dog on a leash or at least very close. I appreciate the notice and I respect the trappers right to be there, just as everyone should.

One thing that helped with my dog is that he's trained, so my friend knew something was up when Chance(my lab) didn't respond to commands.

I'm also not anti-trapping in any way. I've trapped in the past, and like you have put out rabbit snares on occasion. Didn't trappers used to have to post notices on their lines?

When I'm out training with the dogs , the trappers I have encountered were very polite. They approached me and told me exactly where their traps were. I've never been close enough to need to worry about my dogs getting into them. Usually, several hundred yards. But I do appreciate very much the trappers making me aware and I wouldn't want that to change. I do agree that the area should be marked, but since I'm not a trapper don't most do that anyway. I think they are required to. I'm not sure, but nontheless ...a good idea.

Some trappers do post their lines, are they required to? no.....In fact most do not post their lines due to thefts or folks who have no respect for trappers in general, if they knew the penalties for tampering with someone's trap line they might think twice, just ask the guy we busted last year....he knows......Besides, depending on the "whole story" and basing it on only what was reported I would't call that person a "trapper".
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Default traps and dogs

I used to work with Alaska Trappers Association teaching "How to Get your dog out of a trap" clinics. ATA now has a dvd you can purchase to teach you how to get a dog out of a trap, different trapping methods, and how to tell if there is a trapper using the area. When I taught the clinics I would bring in a trapper with lots of different kinds of traps and dog owners would get a hands on session practicing opening traps - it was a great clinic. The more of these classes I taught however the more horror stories I recieved. When close friends got their dogs caught in snares (dogs were released without incident) in one of our favorite hunting areas I had to rethink about hunting with my dogs. I have two fast running Springers that would probably kill themselves if they hit a snare as they would struggles as Barry's young dog did. If we met a connibear trap it would be over. The stories scared me so badly that now I no longer bird hunt in certain areas during trapping season. I am not anti-trapping, when I lived in the bush I loved joining my friends helping them run their traplines, I am just overly cautious now.

Default Im a little leary too.

This time of year I switch to Ptarmigan primarily. I have seen very few traps out on the open wind swept hills while hunting Ptarmigan and I can see my dogs at all times so I at least know if they come upon a trap. I avoid snowmachine trails in the bottoms where trapping is happening. If I think there has been a trapper in the area, I move on. Just to be safe. There a lot of room up here and the trappers have just as much of a right to be out there too. All we can do is try to minimize trap/dog contact.