Thread: Win Mag to Lott

Default Win Mag to Lott

Hello All-
    Need some advice from the experts. Has anyone done the conversion from a Model 70 458 Win Mag over to the Lott? From what I have gathered,not that bad of a process. Thanks

No expert but the Lott is the same as the 458 W Mag... just longer. So, the chamber gets cut deeper, end of story.

Matt M

Default Iirc

As I remember, at least the rear bridge, bolt stop, ejector and mag box are all different. Compare a 70 in 375 H&H or 7 STW against the 300 Win or 458 win. This assumes a CRF. This project is not as easy as it might appear. Might wait and see if GUNBUGS or Murphy chime in.

If my memory serves me correctly, the 458 win mag M-70's are not long enough in the magazine box to accomodate the Lott cartridge. You will need a 375 length action to do this. CZ offers a nice 458 Lott as a factory rifle with many excellent features. Good luck! Be careful and research what you buy.

Any Win 70 crf classic action originally chambered for a magnum round such as the 7mm mag, 300 Win Mag, 338 WM, etc is suitable for the job. These actions are the same sized actions Win used for there 375 H&H's and Lotts.
    Aklefty was spot on with his comments.
    The spacer in the rear of the magazine needs to be removed and the rear of the action should be milled out for best results, and then another screw hole is drilled and tapped in the rear.
    Stan Jackson used to charge $100 to convert one.
    Tennessee

Stan did a 300 wm to lott for me. two thumbs up

Default Thanks

Thanks to all! Appreciate the help, what a better time of the year to build a new toy. Thanks again

I found this thread earlier and set about to get information before I chimed in on it.

The 458 Lott cartridge has a maximum length dimension of 3.600". This is the same as the 416 Remington and the parent 375H&H. The case however is shorter than the 375, trimmed to 2.800" vs 2.850 for the H&H. This extra trimming was to allow the use of 500 grain bullets designed for the 458 Winchester to be used, and crimped at the established cannelure and maintain the max H&H length of 3.6". The Lott will require a 375 length action and a magazine box length to accomodate the 3.600" cartridge. This max 3.600" length could be ignored if you intend to use only lighter bullets but that is a bad idea and most smiths won't go along with it. The idea of standardization is to keep everything that responds to the same name, the same. A Lott should be a Lott. So it is best (and cheapest) to start with an action that will handle the full length H&H cartridge.

The very strong and full sized CZ is an ideal action. I think there 458 WM rifles already have the correct length magazine box, or it is a simple change out with parts available in Kansas City. Or any of the CZ's for the 375 H&H or 416 Remington if you want to convert. I passed up a H&H length older Brno 602 at the last Fairbanks gun show, I spent too much time yackin'. (hard to believe, I know.)

I just loaded up a dummy Lott with a piece of Jamison brass and the only 458 500 grain bullet I had, a Kodiak bonded, round nose. My seating plug needs to be reground, it has dinged the nose on this bullet. Speaking of dummys, you should make up three and send to your smith. This will enable him to check the feeding and know what ammo you want to fit the gun for. Correct throating and feeding are kind of important.

Gunbugs would know more of the actual conversion and and work required of the various actions than I would so I'll tip my hat to his smithing expertise.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?