Thread: New member, old handloader

Default New member, old handloader

Anyone handload for the 338-06 AI? I have one and mostly use the 210 or 225 Partition when loading for elk hunts. My favorite powder is getting hard to find and I've been out of conus and didn't stock up. I have found only Vihtavouri N160 and N540 and was wondering about that powder for my favorite wildcat. There has been a run on powder lately.My usual load was with H4350 but I cannot find that locally. I have found H4831 but I think it may be too slow to get the velocity I am used to. I get the 210 grains to 2800 fps. Thanks for any tips.

I've got a "plain" 338-06, and I've had good luck with RL-15 and IMR 4064. I don't know that they are any easier to find right now, but they give you some more options.

Default Varget

Quote Originally Posted by Dan in Alaska View Post
    I've got a "plain" 338-06, and I've had good luck with RL-15 and IMR 4064. I don't know that they are any easier to find right now, but they give you some more options.
    Second that. + Varget.

I, too, have had good results with IMR4064 in a plain jane.

Quote Originally Posted by MCJonas View Post
    Anyone handload for the 338-06 AI? I have one and mostly use the 210 or 225 Partition when loading for elk hunts. My favorite powder is getting hard to find and I've been out of conus and didn't stock up. I have found only Vihtavouri N160 and N540 and was wondering about that powder for my favorite wildcat. There has been a run on powder lately.My usual load was with H4350 but I cannot find that locally. I have found H4831 but I think it may be too slow to get the velocity I am used to. I get the 210 grains to 2800 fps. Thanks for any tips.
    Midway USA has it in stock and you can have it shiped to your house in WA. They have a $20 (I think) hazmat fee per order. I don't see this shortage getting over any time soon, but who knows.

Link to Midway USA
    http://www.midwayusa.com/

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by MCJonas View Post
    No shortage of H4350 around here, and in fact I just saw a case arrive in the shipment a local shop yesterday. I bet your dealer can get it easy enough if you don't find it elsewhere.

I just talked about the "powder shortage" to a friend who runs the sporting goods store where I saw the H4350, and he howled with laughter.

According to him and all the other dealers he talks with, it's all a HUGE joke and non-issue. Everyone panicked with the help of folks pushing agendas, and they dashed out to buy up supplies. Good for commerce, but the whole thing is a sick little paper tiger.

None of the dealers were about to order in huge stocks of powder, ammo and primers just before years end, taking the chance that a whole bunch of the stuff was going to be sitting around on their inventories they have to take for tax purpose. All of these guys let their stocks run down a little, because their taxes are affected by their official inventories.

He said you're going to see lots and lots of powder, ammo and primers showing up on shelves now that January 1 has passed. Everybody should rush out and buy it up quick, according to him, because he doesn't want it still sitting around, come December 31, 2009.

Default Shortage?

I don't know about you, but when I can't get any powder for more than two months, I call it a shortage. Don't make any deference what reason for not having it is, they have people who want it and none to be had. How is that not a shortage?

It's not as bad in some places as others, but the way I see it the jokes on him! Shops like that have missed out on thousands in powder sales from not having stock and being unwilling to order any when their customers ask them too. I just placed an order to the lower 48 that went over $900 and had no room for another $2000 worth for other guys that are doing their own orders now. The kicker to his joke is that I and others will likely just keep ordering from shops down south that stock it all year long at a price that lets me save money even with the hazmat shipping. It sounds penny wise and dollar dumb to me.

Andy

Went to every shop I knew of in Anchorage and looked for Alliant powder to no avail. Went to a certain shop on eastside of anchorage and asked about it, knowing probably that none was available.
    Well the gentleman just laughed in my face and told me that every retailer gets thier powder from the same supplier, and good luck.

I can take a good ribbing as well as the next guy, and prefer to support small business, but one thing wont change, I absolutely enjoy reloading
    and will exhaust all efforts to enjoy my hobby.

Heres hoping that all of us can find a road that leads enough supplies to our benches so we can enjoy the wonderfull world of reloading.

Jesse

I am not sure where this no shortage land is, but it sounds like a nice place. I just this week was able to get some large rifle primers, after 2 months of looking.

I still can't find any H4350 at all locally and most internet places are on back order. And no one has a decent selection of powder. Sportsman's has none, zip, zero, though they now have a very few primers. Frontier seems to be the best bet here they have a lot of open space on the shelf but at least they seem to get in new stuff about once a week.