Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your Thoughts on Scent Lok

Default Your Thoughts on Scent Lok

Greetings.

I'm going on my first archery black bear hunt this upcoming spring and everything I've read recently highly recommends the use of a Scent Lok suit as one of the most important pieces equipment one can have while bear hunting. I've had my doubts about Scent Lok clothes and all the "scent elimination" products out there (even though I use some of it). Anybody have any constructive thoughts on the matter?

God bless.
    Fr. Joe

HuntingForGod.com

Default Dont waste

your money, if you take the time to research activated carbon filter technology you will see that those outfits are only good for a few days at most, there are no washing chemicals that can renew the suite. You can not reactivate the carbon. thats why the military only use thier suites once, the carbon can only hold a certain amount and then thats it, period

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXp3kv8fs_0

A waste of money is what common sense tells me about such products. Even plastic isn't entirely reliable for trapping odor.

Keep the wind in your favor, it is much cheaper and completely reliable.

i guided the cabelas rep that was in charge of archery products about 10 years ago.
    he showed up for his hunt with well worn fleece camo.
    not a scent-loc garment anywhere.....
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    i guided the cabelas rep that was in charge of archery products about 10 years ago.
    he showed up for his hunt with well worn fleece camo.
    not a scent-loc garment anywhere.....
    Because fleece is noise lock!

The first thing I do in the store when I'm looking at hunting clothes is to listen to it. There are great looking things out there and some good marketing, but in the end, silence is golden.
    "...just because we didn't agree with you doesn't mean we didn't have good discussion. It just means you missed it." -JMG-

Not a fan....

Quote Originally Posted by akhunter02 View Post
    your money, if you take the time to research activated carbon filter technology you will see that those outfits are only good for a few days at most, there are no washing chemicals that can renew the suite. You can not reactivate the carbon. thats why the military only use thier suites once, the carbon can only hold a certain amount and then thats it, period

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXp3kv8fs_0
    Great video. That settles it for me. I trust a bloodhound much more than I do slick advertising. Thanks for the info.

Fr. Joe

Default Thoughts On Scent Lok...

Great styles.

In my hunting experience in Alaska, it is hard to keep anything and/or anybody clean on a 10 day sheep, brown/black bear, moose, or goat hunt.
    So I prefer to just hunt watching the wind and being aware of my scent pool/trail.
    My friends, my client-hunters, and myself kill lots of stuff. I do not recommmend the use of gadgets, when "normal hunting skills" seem to work just fine.
    I don't do Scent Lok.

Dennis
    AK TAGS

I guess I had to jump in here about Scent-Lok. They has been many discussions as to it's use, claims, does it work or not, ect ect. The video that AKhunter02 references is a bit disturbing. Pay attention to the video and notice that the dog is nose to the ground. last I knew, Greg Sesselmann and his company Scent-Lok never sold tennis shoes.

And I guess that is my point. The system is only as good as the rest of what you wear and how you take care of yourself and the clothing. Many don't follow simple suggestions in taking care of the clothing. Wearing it in camp around a fire, wearing it while filling you truck up with gas, wearing while cooking lunch.....the list goes on and on.

I think this is what it does do... if the clothing instills confidence in your hunt, then buy it. discussing this with the staff at Scent-Lok, their thinking is that without it, maybe game will wind you at 100 yards and turn and you would never see it. With it, they could still wind you but instead of 100 yards, it is at 20 with the game thinking it is at 100. By then, that target is toast.

Does it provide an edge, personally, I think so, if properly taken care of and not just because I am good friends with Greg and Geo. But to each their own. We all can find fault with any product out there, from boots to rain gear and yes Scent-Lok. But let's look at what that product can do if treated correctly and not worn with old smelly tennis shoes.

Mark

I can't see it's use in Alaska hunting (or any other backcountry hunting) and that is why it is so unpopular up here. I'm a stinky S.O.B by about day three and there is no way I'm going to take a dip in an alpine lake to get clean. I've had perfectly good luck killing bears, moose, caribou and deer in non-camo, non-scentlok clothes.

Now, if I was leaving my house every morning in my BadBoy Buggy from my house to go to my treestand, then returning every night...I might just try it.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

AK, I think you hit the nail on the head......It may be great in other conditions in other parts of the country, but what your conditions are, I would tend to agree......but that goes back to my message, are we trying to use the equipment for what it is intended for? If not, then why are we tossing it under the buss?

Now as a side note, one of the reasons to buy it is because Tiffany is HOT, HOT HOT....and if you have not seen her... you owe it to yourself to take a look at the website "getting close" or see some of her outdoor adventures.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Adjusted3 View Post
    I think this is what it does do... if the clothing instills confidence in your hunt, then buy it. discussing this with the staff at Scent-Lok, their thinking is that without it, maybe game will wind you at 100 yards and turn and you would never see it. With it, they could still wind you but instead of 100 yards, it is at 20 with the game thinking it is at 100. By then, that target is toast.

Does it provide an edge, personally, I think so, if properly taken care of and not just because I am good friends with Greg and Geo. But to each their own. We all can find fault with any product out there, from boots to rain gear and yes Scent-Lok. But let's look at what that product can do if treated correctly and not worn with old smelly tennis shoes.

Mark
    Scent Lock may provide a small edge when first purchased, for a local hunter who sits and goes home every night and taking showers, if you dont move very much, you are not sweating, if you place it in plastic bags when you get home, it might last one season, but thats it, just one season. Activated Carbon can not be reactivated! so unless your buying a new set for each seaon or possible hunt, its not going to help. Everything that this product says it provides can not be proven and any hunter can do the samething without it.

Now as a side note, one of the reasons to buy it is because Tiffany is HOT, HOT HOT....and if you have not seen her... you owe it to yourself to take a look at the website "getting close" or see some of her outdoor adventures.
    Tiff is a beautiful lady, but she really doesn't do anything for me. I've watched her show and basically have outgrown my fascination with the Outdoor Channel and hunting videos. There really is a big difference in the hunting industry in Alaska and the rest of the country.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

There is no way to totally block scent. Scent loc might be able block some scent for a while, but you will still leave scent. Any exposed skin will leave scent. Boots will leave scent, your sweaty hat will leave scent. Your bad breath will leave scent. And when you drive in your truck your outer clothes will pick the scent from your truck, unless you change in the field.

Hunters have been stalking and ambushing game for thousands of years without scent loc. Us e the wind to your advantage as much as possible.

My $.02

Aside from the video - who remembers Myth Busters trying to trick a blood hound?

I forget how many different scents a bears nose can calculate at once, but it's staggering.

Scent is there regardless of claims... or, they'd make scent lok containers to store your food safely from bears. I'd worry way more about the noise.
    "...just because we didn't agree with you doesn't mean we didn't have good discussion. It just means you missed it." -JMG-

Quote Originally Posted by Fr. Joe View Post
    Anybody have any constructive thoughts on the matter?

Unless you can hold your breath the whole time you're hunting don't bother with scent lok.

I have a pair of scent lock paints and even with this new age scent lock gear I can still smell my own farts. I must be missing something or eating too much mexican before hunts

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    I'm a stinky S.O.B by about day three and there is no way I'm going to take a dip in an alpine lake to get clean.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Gremlin View Post
    I have a pair of scent lock paints and even with this new age scent lock gear I can still smell my own farts. I must be missing something or eating too much mexican before hunts
    I'm going to have to pass on this year's member group hunt. I'm having a hard time breathing as it is.

MagLvr, you're in luck, there is now gum specifically for hunters that will eliminate breath odor. Laugh my rear off every time I see this commercial.

Scent Lok is the biggest marketing gimmick in the hunting industry. I read a report from a group researcing carbon scent eliminatation for the military. The group stated that carbon can be reactivated by heat. The problem is the required heat was something ridiculous, around 500 or 600 degrees. Sorry, it's been a while since I read it and don't remember the exact temp but it was unattainable without destroying your clothes. So unless you broil your closed in your oven they are essentially useless after the first week.

There is one good aspect I've found about wearing a Silver thread shirt and socks and antimicrobial underwear I have. That is they don't hold the scent in the clothing fibers. So after a few days of sweating in them they don't smell like they were forgotten in your gym bag for a week. They don't do anything to eliminate animals from smelling me but at least I don't have to smell me.

I enjoy watching the Outdoor Channel but don't jump at any of their advertising or endorsements. Can't say I've ever seen Jim Shockey decked out in scent lok while shooting game around the world.

Default Funny

Interesting and funny to read these responses. I seem to be more tolerant of fences (for others) than some but I bristle every time I read or see an advertisement for Scent Loc. My response is "What? Are these guys such poor hunters that they can't even tell the wind direction?".

I'm glad to see that others don't think much of Scent Loc clothing. You can probably guess how many Scent Loc items are in my hunting closet

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast