Thread: Riding gloves

Default Riding gloves

Looking for input on whats best and warmest for riding gloves.i have a slight problem with haveing froze my fingers a few yrs back and have a hard time with deep cold.i have tryed all kinds of gloves and yet to find a pair that i can wear without haveing the hot grips on.thanks for any help on this.

When it's deep cold like we are having now I simply wear a pair of beaver mitts. I don't know of any gloves that will keep my hands warm for extended periods of anything less than -20F..once it reaches that point it's mitten time.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Thumbs up Guantlets

Go to your local snowmachine dealer and get a pair of guantlets for your handlebars. They just slide over and velcro on. They make it so you hardly need to use your hand warmers!!!
    Trail Boss
    Willow Trail Committe
    ALASKA'S Winter Park Cabins
    To boldly make trail where no man has gone before!!!

Like Trail Boss said guantlets and beaver mittens lined with rabbit fur is very warm but bulky.

It's funny. I totally forgot about gauntlets Too many years since I've used them. I think I quit using them because I quit riding below -20F

Smile

Hmmm get rid of the gloves and get some mittens!!

X3 for Gauntlets. A must for anything short of mountain riding. I've got some that have to be 15+ years old. Have not to this day found a pair that are like those. Now they're either too stiff or too floppy, but any gauntlet is better than none.

I don't prefer gauntlets. I don't like handwarmers, either. Mittens are out of the question. I like gloves that work in the temps that I'm out in. My best cold weather gloves are REI brand. My favorite all-round medium temp gloves are Klim. My favorite warm weather gloves (+15 to +20 or above) are MSR Cold Pros. (Malcolm Smith Racing, not Mountain Safety Research}. RU Outside makes some nice mid and lightweight gloves, too.

Warm gloves are very difficult to find these days, and I've been looking!

Default Mr pid

You said where i am at,have used the gualents,mittens and just about everthing else.as with yourself have not found a glove that is warm and useable in --- degree weather.you mention some brands were would a guy find them.

Default cold hands

Actually I have found that a lighter glove in palm and heavier on the rear and zippered rear pouch on the back of the hand to put hot hands in work extremely well up to minus 10 in conjunction with hand warmers on the sled after that you canít beat the gauntlets. The heaver the glove the less the hand warmers will work on the sled enough said.

he who dies with the most toys wins.

Quote Originally Posted by gusuk1 View Post
    You said where i am at,have used the gualents,mittens and just about everthing else.as with yourself have not found a glove that is warm and useable in --- degree weather.you mention some brands were would a guy find them.
    Like I said earlier, REI and AMH are weak on warm gloves, at least right now. What few models they have that may qualify have long wrist gauntlets built onto the gloves. No good for me. I'm still looking. Mountain climbers use warm gloves that require dexterity. Maybe climbing brands offer something. MSR Cold Pro? Google it. They're great spring gloves. RU Outside? Google that one, too. They make some nice gear. I haven't tried their "warm" gloves, though. Just the lightweight/warm weather gloves. (Christmas presents). Kilm? Google Klim USA. Thay make the best riding gear I've ever tried. Again I haven't tried their warmest gloves, just the mid-weights. Good stuff. Their boots are unbelievably warm, by the way. A bit stiff, but very, very warm.

I'm very finicky with gloves. They need to fit correctly and keep me warm. But not too warm. Lately warm has been the mission. I'd love to hear about some good, warm, 5 finger gloves if anyone knows where to get some.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    Mountain climbers use warm gloves that require dexterity.
    Her is an interesting theory friends and I have discussed. A lot of the clothing nowadays seems to be made for "active" cold weather sports. In other words you can't just sit around or sit and ride without getting cold. And I don't mean that we're not wearing enough layers or the right stuff, you just can't stay warm without being active. The quote above reminds me of this. Sure mountain climbers have some of the most technologically advanced gear, but will it work for the rest of us? Most times it seems to come up short for the average Joe. This is where the old fur hat, parka, and mittens still rule the roost. Just ask most trappers and old timers. Maybe this should be another thread to discuss how much (usually high priced) stuff we've bought over the years that didn't work like we thought it should.

There is a huge difference holding on to the cold handlebars of a sled going 50mph and mountain climbing/skiing/snowshoeing. My -20F gloves won't last me 20 minutes on my sled at that temp, but I can work in them for hours at the same temp. Even mountain climbers carry overmits like the OR ones.

Default Warm gloves,

honest lawyer, both can be hard to find.

Gloves are like hammers...what's good for one situation ain't for another...I got more pairs of gloves than hammers and I gots at least 10 beaters.

First off if you ain't using those little blue glove liners...why not? They double the effectiveness of any inclement weather glove. Those fancy skier type gloves that cost half a days pay...with more layers than a Dagwood slide off real nice when your mitts are wet or just plain sweaty. Then you ain't trying to stuff the guts back in while painting the great outdoors with colorful language and freezing your phalanges off.

The warmest pair gloves in the stable as of today is a pair of close-outs Gordini's ski gloves from Sierra Trading Post, insulated w/ Primaloft. I used them exclusively till I got gauntlets on the sled.

Another pair that end up in the sled...just-in-case... are lobster claws by Auclair that I fetched up at the now defunct Outdoors and More on the Parks in Wasilla.

I also carry a pair grey rubber palmed Thermax Atlas gloves that come out on the oh so rare occasion that I have to dig the sled out. The grip is outstanding.

Those $20.00 blue suede Refridgiwear's are pretty good if you don't mind the total lack of dexterity and Ronald McDonald feel of them.

My Sweetie loves her Grandoe's down filled mittens and gauntlets on the sled at anything less than 20F...why suffer with cold hands...me, I'm fine most days out on the sled w/ gauntlets and pair of fleece gloves over those little blue liners, got to have my glove liners.

Try stuffing the "little Hotties" handwarmers in the breast pockets of your wool shirt...if you keep the core warm the extremities will follow.
    Natural Selection begins with you!