Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: If you had to choose a river to hunt?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    In alaska now
    Posts
    64

    Default If you had to choose a river to hunt?

    Alright guys i know this is going to be a vague question, but here it goes. I own a 95 hewescraft 21 ft inboard jet boat and i was wondering what rivers that boat is suitable to take up for moose, bear (brown or black) or caribou. I just can't seem to find any rivers that a boat that big would go up easily other than the yukon. I haven't hunted up north at all, so i am very un-familiar with those rivers, but even the big Su seems a bit hairy in a bigger boat if you don't know the channels very well. Hopefully someone has .02 cents to throw in, so i can start to plan this years outings a little better.

    P.S. I am always looking for good hunting partners that are more knowledgable about the areas.. Spring black season in PWS is getting closer...lol

    Thanks,

    david

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    wasilla
    Posts
    555

    Default

    Your boat is fine for the Big Su.

    Run it in the spring when the water is low and GPS it while your not packing a ton of gear if you aren't that comfortable with it.

    I would hit the Yukon for success rates though. If your not after a trophy moose it's a slam dunk in my opinion

  3. #3

    Default

    If the Susitna seems daunting to you, I suggest:
    1. Yukon
    2. Tannana
    3. Nenanna
    In that order.
    After you begin to feel more comfortable with river running, I suggest:
    1. Forty Mile (Moose)
    2. Nowitna (Moose)
    3. Goodpasture (Caribou/Moose)
    4. Nebezna (Sheep/Bear)
    5. Yentna (Bear)
    6. Koyukuk (Moose/Bear)
    7. Talkeetna (Bear)
    In that order.
    Good Luck
    SP
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    In alaska now
    Posts
    64

    Default Not so daunting.....lol

    The big Su is not what i would call daunting, but it is one of those rivers you need to know where the current cuts in order to stay off he sand bars. Thanks for the heads up on a few rivers to try. I am not looking to set any records with my hunting, i just like a good fair chase challenge that tastes good on the BBQ.. Thanks again

    David

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •