Thread: Time of night

Question Time of night

I was talking to my brother earlier tonight and he told me that the man who taught him to call predators said that you shouldn't bother between 10pm and 2am because the animals are far less active in the middle of the night. Thoughts? Experiences?? I've called during this time period before, but maybe I need to move my calling up a few hours?

I have heard that they rest in the middle of the night, they hunt right at dusk for a while, then rest and go at it again for a couple hours before daylight. I think I will use that as my excuse for not getting anything tonight, or maybe it was the speaker.

the poster formerly known as trapperdude.

I always call just before light into the breaking morning or just as it's getting dark and maybe a few minutes into it. In Tenn. we called right at dusk. We also shot plenty in the middle of the day in the fields. I think me comparing calling down there versus here is not fair. There were far too many critters down there to not see them at all times. When we call the Richardson we make a day of it and have them from morning to night. We never push it too far past dark and have never done the full moon night hunting situation since we started there a few years back. Kitties, coyotes, fox and wolves all in daylight.

aksnowshoe might be able to chime in here. Seems like he does a bit of night calling.

-Shoe, what are the times that you string your critters along?

Default Night hunt

So far I have never been out before 8:00 pm. Almost all of the critters I have called in were between about 9:00p.m.-1:00 a.m. It kind of goes against all I've read about hunting out side but as with all other things up hear the rules don't seem to apply. My rule is get out as soon as you can and don't quit until you can't stand it any more!(fall a sleep on stand, start freezing, partner quits on ya, exc. exc.)

Shoe
    Last edited by aksnowshoe; 01-10-2009 at 17:32. Reason: miss spell

Default Late Night

I'm with Aksnowshoe on this one. Once I start on a full moon type night, I'll run until 3-4am sometimes. I've seen them at all times and can't say there's a noticeable slow time during the night scene. In Rick Kinmon's book Hunting the Hunters, he says that there is a slow time during the night though. I can't remember the hours, but I thought it was 11pm to 2am or so. The reasoning was that the animals start to get active hunting as the sun's going down. They'll hunt for 6-8 hours and get their bellies full. After that, they'll settle down and rest. Then, after another 3-4 hours, they're back in action hunting again. I can understand the logic and believe Rick has more experience than anybody I've ever met up here calling predators, so I'm inclined to believe it.

I think you're right on those times Rick mentioned in his book Snow. Kind of makes sense to me. Perfect for a cup of coffee, somethin to eat and a quick snooze!

Default Coffee Time

Yeah, the coffee sounds good during those times. Once I get going though, I keep running through the night typically. I want to try and get as many stands in as possible, even if my chances are lower during those hours.