Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moose & Caribou Hunting 09'

Default Moose & Caribou Hunting 09'

My husband & I are planning a hunt in Alaska fall of 2009. We are going for a moose and caribou. We would like to be out for about 3 weeks. We're wanting a float hunt in an area that would contain both moose and caribou. Would like any information on :
    • Check list for float hunt equipment
    • Reputable transporters/pilots
    • How to get meat/hides and horns shipped home
    • Advice for float hunting
    My husband wanted to know if a .45 acp with hand loads is suiteable for a side arm?

Welcome aboard, mnranchergal. I think you'll find a lot of the info you're looking for here, but be aware that planning a hunt like this is a complicated affair and that sometimes it's best to prioritize one animal over another or certain aspects of the hunt over others in order to find success. What you're looking for can be done, but it's not an easy undertaking. Some quick thoughts:

-I highly recommend that you pick up Michael Strahan's book Float Hunting Alaska's Wild Rivers. There are some other good books out there too, but this one is by far the most comprehensive for planning such a hunt. It covers specific rivers, gear, techniques, meat care, etc. etc. etc.

-Mike is also a hunt planner who offers services to help folks put together such an expedition. Some folks are able to put together such a hunt on their own, but I've heard from many that having a planner has made the whole experience much more successful and enjoyable. Just a thought...

-Shipping meat/antlers home is covered in a few threads on this site, so do a search using the search tool at the top of the page. That being said, if you really do end up being out for 3 weeks, you will almost certainly need to budget for a mid-trip meat flight in case you are successful. Keeping meat from spoiling in the field is difficult for a week - it is darn near impossible for 3 weeks unless the weather conditions are perfect and the hunter is very experienced with meat care. Plan on carrying a satellite phone and calling in your flight service.

-As for reputable flight services, that will entirely depend on the part of the state you hunt. It cannot be overstated how large a place Alaska is. Finding the specific place you want to hunt is the first step, then figure out who flies into the area.

-If you're serious about hunting in 2009, you need to plan and book your flight charters as soon as absolutely possible. Some flight services are already booked solid for 09 and I imagine some are already taking reservations for 2010.

-If your husband is planning to carry the sidearm for bear protection, the .45acp is not adequate. Opinions vary, but it seems that the overall consensus is that a .44mag is the absolute minimum handgun capable of bear protection, while many prefer a 500 magnum or a 12 guage. Incidentally, many rifle hunters do not carry an additional sidearm.

-Consider prioritizing one species. While it is possible to find caribou and moose on the same river, ideal caribou habitat is not ideal moose habitat and vice versa. Focusing on one species will dramatically improve your odds of success. If you really want to target two species, perhaps moose/black bear or caribou/wolf would be ideal. Again, though - moose and caribou can be done together - it's just more difficult to connect.

Good luck with the planning process!

Thumbs up NW Alaska Unit 23?

If you are interested in unit 23 out of Kotzebue please look me up at www.northwestalaska.com

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals
    Your best bet in rafts, canoes and camp rentals
    Kotzebue, Alaska

I suggest using the search function and reading what other have asked and answered about this topic. Your question comes up quite frequently on this forum.

This might pump you guys up a little...I know your getting excited.
    http://www.splashvision.com/video/62...Adventure.html
    "Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan

Has anyone gone through Brooks Range Aviation? I found these guys online and visited their site and thought it was very helpful. They had many rivers to choose from and different areas.

The book "Float Hunting Alaska's Wild Rivers". from Mike, we are getting. My husband ordered it a few days ago thinking it would be good to get info out of.

We plan on being out Aug. 20 through end of Sept. Does anyone know what the temp. would be during the times of these months? For being out that long I don't want to loose our meat. Still not sure what area to hunt.

We watched a video on youtube that had a guy float hunting down a river and got a moose, caribou and a goat. He floated 500 miles but not sure what area that was. We would like to do that if possible.

Thanks for all the info and help everyone, keep sending please.

Thumbs up Pristine Ventures

Check out Larry Bartlett @ http://www.pristineventures.com/ Top notch Guy that can help with your every needs when it comes to Float Hunting. He also has a couple of Books out that are very helpful..Goodluck... Oh yeah & I carry a .45clock w/230grain hollow points when Im out in the feild on floathunts And it has stopped a chaging bear...yes It might be a lil small but its light and can hold 13bullets..Reilly

Quote Originally Posted by mnranchergal View Post
    We plan on being out Aug. 20 through end of Sept. Does anyone know what the temp. would be during the times of these months? For being out that long I don't want to loose our meat. Still not sure what area to hunt.
    You will likely experience temperatures from 60 degrees down to around 20 degrees, though it is possible that you could see temps as high as 75 and as low as 0. Of all the unpredictable things in Alaska, weather is #1.

Default Way too long

that is way too long to be out and expect to keep your meat from going bad, for a first time moose/caribou with no idea of what your getting into you should go thru a hunt planner like Mike S. or Larry Bartlett, have a sat phone to arrange for meat pickups and arrange cold storage. The last thing you want is to show back up in town with roten meat and be charged for wanten waste because there is no way to keep that meat form spoiling if the temps get up into the 60's

I'll second getting in touch with Larry. Consider buying his video, Float Hunting Alaska Vol I. I wish it was out before I went on my first float trip. The State Fish and Game also has two videos you might consider. One is "Is this Moose Legal" about judging 50 inch moose, which is usually the minimum for nonresidents (or 3 or 4 brow tines) the second is about meat and trophy care. On our moose hunt last year temps were in the 50s then on night it cleared up and tmeps dropped so low all the water froze and it took forever to make coffee. So it changes quickly.

Check out the 'store' on this website for books/videos that have been recommended (they are on sale now too). Wilderness Taxidermy by Larry Bartlett is a great resource as well.

I'll second Bill on his recommendation on the two ADF&G videos; great videos to study regarding antler restrictions and field care. I believe they put one out for sizing up bears too, if your interested as an incidental take; bear tags aren't cheap though.

Tim

We watched a video on youtube that had a guy float hunting down a river and got a moose, caribou and a goat. He floated 500 miles but not sure what area that was. We would like to do that if possible.

Thanks for all the info and help everyone, keep sending please.
    Aug 20-end of September sounds more like 4-5 weeks, not three. By "being out" are you including travel to/from AK and a few days in either (or both) Anchorage/Fairbanks? Will the actual float trip be three weeks or from Aug20-end of Sept? Just wondering if you've considered being moved mid-hunt as that's a long time in one drainage.

#2-Do you know who put out the video you saw on you tube?

Tim

My wife was correct on the dates but we are planning a week extra each way in case of bad weather. I always feel its better to wait than head out unprepared. As for our float hunt we are not going after trophies but more the experiance. I would like to take a nice bull moose (when I say nice I mean anything that is mature in body) and my wife would like a caribou. I am looking at the river that starts south west of kutuk pass then heads southeast down to johns river and then bettles. Does anyone have any experiance on this river.

DW

My husband and I are looking into buying our oun tent to take along. We plan on getting a treated wall tent. I found a place located in Billings, Montana that makes tents and tipis. They had different packages to choose from and for a reasonable price too.
    This place is called the "reliable tent co." Has anyone bought a tent from these guys? Or ever heard of them. If not heres the site to check it out:
    https://www.reliabletent.com

Default Two seperate hunts

I am not sure what your budget will allow, but if you have four weeks, you could easily fit two seperate hunts in. In-between hunts you can drop off meat at a processer and refit at civilization.

You can complete multiple searches here for tent advice. I use a Cabelas tent. The tent has never let me down. The 4-man fits three tightly with not much gear. The six man is a castle for four. The vestibule is awesome.

I have not used Strahan's services, but I have never seem him steer anyone in the wrong direction (Excluding Bartletts products).

I have used a lot of Bartlett's gear and I can attest that Larry Bartlett will treat you right also. Bartlett's services and gear are both of the highest quality. Take a look at Pristine ventures (Larry Bartlett's website) and look in the video sections. Hunt n man Dan created an awesome downloadable video of what you can expect on Bartlett's hunts.

Meat can be kept for 10 days in the field with minimal to no problems if you know what you are doing.

Shipping meat: I recommend having the meat frozen and take it on the plane as excess baggage in fish boxes.
    Shipping antlers: Split the skulls and stuff in a bicycle box and also take on the airplane as excess baggage.

My husband and I are looking into buying our oun tent to take along. We plan on getting a treated wall tent.
    A wall tent doesn't seem compatible with a float hunt; potentially a lot of set-up and take-down. You two are talking about a month long trip, not the more usual 7-14 day trip though. Not sure how a wall tent will do along a river bank in the wind....

A Cabela's Guide Tent may work, either the 4 or 6 person tent. The 6 person is 6'3" tall, so most people can stand up in it. You can't (at least that I'm aware of) put any sort of stove in it, which you can in a wall tent. 4 person weighs about 23 lbs, 6 person about 33 pounds. Shaped better to withstand the wind, imo.

Tim

Default SwapnSell

I saw your ad for "Want To Buy Raft"

Before you start spending money on big ticket items for this trip I highly suggest you seek a little more advice. I realize you probably want to DIY just like I would but In my opinion if you buy a 12ft raft you might be setting yourself up for a taxing, uncomfortable, potentially dangerous trip not to mention limiting yourself to basically a caribou, especially if your looking at wall tents. Think bigger boat smaller tent. I normally wouldnt care what you bought but I can see you're chomping at the bit, you've plenty of time to find a boat, I would do some reading in the meantime. I may not have a bunch of green boxes by my name but I've spent a ton of time on the water. Just trying to help
    Last edited by whitepalm; 01-12-2009 at 17:34. Reason: more

Thumbs up Sound like fun

Looks like you guys are serious about "making it happen". Good on ya.
    Having spent a fair portion of my life sitting in a raft, I would offer the following bits.

1) Rent the raft. There is an ad on the main page at the "Alaska Rafting" section. They sponsor it. A member here, "northwestalska", does rentals (his spelling, not mine). Some flight charter outfits rent them and gear. Lots of options there and you don't have to ship it to Ak. (you don't say where live)

2) On a long float do not underestimate the work involved in keeping your hard earned meat in good shape. At the end of a long day, just pitching camp and getting dinner can be a chore, especially in the rain. Then you get to unload every game bag of meat and either hang it or build an airy platform to set it on. For the 2 animals that would be about over 12 (probably 15) heavy bags. Everytime. Warm wet weather can be challenging.

3) Forget the wall tent. They make a fantastic base camp, but are bulky and heavy for floating. Get a nice nylon one or two. The new ones set up fast and are light, tough and have rain flies. Throw in some tarps to protect gear and meat.

It is a great way to hunt and see Alaska.
    I really recommend calling an organizer. It would be money better spent than buying a raft. I can see him saving you money.
    You will enjoy the Strahan book, it is very informative. He's probably rented a couple rafts in his career.
    Last edited by bullbuster; 01-12-2009 at 19:20. Reason: #3
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Default Great knowledge!

We recieved our dvd's today. One was on Float Hunting Alaska by Larry Bartlett and an awsome book! Another was Alaska Hunting Adventures 700 Miles Alone by "Buck". Them two had lots of advice and great knowledge!
    We watched them right away and learned some stuff. Things that are very important in certain situations. Choosing a raft and caring for the meat are very important.

MNRancherGal& Guy.... scroll back down to the link to www.northwestalaska.com and get in touch with Walt.

He has the gear, the knowledge, and the connections to make your combo hunt work.... most importantly.... all in the right area.

A short talk with him and you'll know you've gone to the right place.

I haven't forgotten you Walt.... and Judy Grasser said HI!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast