Thread: Great fly rod deal ($70)

Default Great fly rod deal ($70)

I just saw at Sierra Trading Post that the Powell Advantage rod is marked down to $70. This is an incredible bargain. Had a buddy who bought one for a recent float trip and this is a great casting rod. He bragged and bragged until I agreed to cast it. He was right, this is a great rod. Normally sold for $90-100 on Sierra Trading Post and at that price it is in my opinion by far the best bang for the buck out there. At $70, it is an outright steal.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/0...d-4-Piece.html

Need a reel, Ross Cimarron is on sale too. Different models are there, here is the 4-6 wt size.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/0...wt-to-6wt.html

NO WAY you will get a better outfit than this for $180.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default is it just me?

.....or does anyone else feel like the Ross Cimmaron (or however you spell it) is a $50 reel with a $140 name? I'm not trying to start a fight Dan, I just am not very impressed with it I guess. Seems to me like the drag isn't very consistent.

I think this is a sweet deal. I have my "normal rods" but for this kind of money I got one. If nothing else it is a quality back up rod or a loner for a newbie or friend
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Quote Originally Posted by aknater View Post
    I just am not very impressed with it I guess. Seems to me like the drag isn't very consistent.

Don't buy one then

There are many reels out there, I was just pointing out that for $180 it is one hell of a combo.

Personally, I have not fished with the Cimarron, but it is one of the most popular reels Ross ever made. My buddy has a couple of them and he loves them. But he is using them for bass back in NC, so I don't know what they would do with salmon. But for someone on a budget, or just starting out, I think you would be hard pressed to find a better combo for this price.

My only experience with Ross is their Evolution and Big Game reels. I am incredibly impressed with them. Got them on my 8 and 10 wt outfits. But this Powell rod/ Cimarron reel combo is half the price of one of my reels. When talking quality of rods/reels/etc.. we need to keep their price point in mind. Comparing apples to apples if you will.

Anyone looking for an affordable, yet high quality combo, I suggest you get online and read some of the reviews on the Cimarron. Most all I found were extremely favorable.

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskachuck View Post
    I think this is a sweet deal. I have my "normal rods" but for this kind of money I got one. If nothing else it is a quality back up rod or a loner for a newbie or friend

Only loan it to good friends.

This rod is going to amaze you. If the wife would not kill me, I would be ordering one or two myself. I am saving my money for "Fishapalooza"

Default No longer at $70...

Saw just now the price is back to $99. Still a lot of rod for the money. Even at $99, it is comparable to rods 2-3x that price.