Thread: Tikka T3 Lite - help

Default Tikka T3 Lite - help

All...need to purchase a sheep rifle. Looking for something in the 6 lbs range w/o scope. I have it narrowed down to the Tikka T3 Lite and the Weatherby Ultralight Weight...more than likely will go with teh 300 win mag as an all around AK caliber.

Are the Tikka's built strong and last several seasons? My only concern...

Weatherby's...name speaks for itself...but double the price of the Tikka

Default New rifle...

Jason,

If you can afford the Weatherby, buy two Tikkas, in calibers of choice, 300 WM is good. That way those Tikkas will last twice as long as one. :-)

I'm sure, if you don't treat your rifle as an Alaskan does, it will last much longer than you will.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Jason I have 3 of the T3 Lites and all have served me well. As a matter of fact all 3 have seen a sheep hunt which to me is the hardest on a rifle as far as bumps and scratches go. They are great rifles IMO and all shoot with amazing acuracy with most factory ammo. Save the extra cash and get a great scope or spotting scope with that extra money you would have spent on the Weatherby.

Default thanks

thanks...I am picking up the Tikka T3 Lite in 300 win mag tomorrow. Will put a B & C reticle'd Leupold on it. Plan was to replace my Nikon with a Swarovski...
    Sheep hunts are tough on equipment!

Jason I have to warn you, the T3 Lite in 300 WM has a unhospitable amount of recoil, so be ready. 6lb 6oz and 300 WM dont mesh well. I installed a Limbsaver recoil pad on mine and eventually had it magnaported so that I could truly enjoy shooting it. It will shoot .5" groups with 2 of my favorite ammos even after the maganport job. Enjoy the Tikka. I put a VX-III 3.5-10x50 on mine and it weighs just the right amount for any hunt.

Jason, I am in the same boat as you and I have been researching my purchase for about the last 4 months. I have talked to MANY who swear by their accuracy and durability. I am real nervous about the syn stock (it is injection molded) and I am already thinking about outfitting it with an aftermarket stock. I don't plan to use the scope rings either.

I am buying one just as soon as I can get off work long enough to get back to Michigan. I guess we'll find out how great it is...or we can both ***** together!

Joshua

You guys wont be *****in I assure you, you'll be praising! No one makes a replacement stockfor the T3 's yet, but dont worry about durability, its as good as any synthetic stock I have ever had on a rifle and I have owned one or two rifles in my time(sarcasm). The accuracy from mine has led to at least five friends of mine buying them. The accuracy rumors dont lie and the triggers are sweet. the oldest of my 3 is a 7mm and it skilled moose, coyotes( not by choice) and caribou. Its been used pretty hard and is as strong as it was when new 3 years ago.

Default Tikka T-3 Lite

Jason,

I have a T-3 Lite in 338. Ditto on the accuracy and it appears to be holding up well (2nd season). The factory pad is very hard. I had a Sims Limbsaver put on mine and a Mercury Reducer put into the stock filled with foam. It made the rifle very shootable. Adds a little weight but worth it.

Good Luck.

Question Mercury Reducer???

[quote=t-w-t;
    I have a T-3 Lite in 338. ...Mercury Reducer put into the stock filled with foam. It made the rifle very shootable. Adds a little weight but worth it.quote]

hmmm...excuse my ignorance, but what the heck is a Mercury Reducer? I've never heard this term. I created a thread a while back about how I had heard about filling stocks with foam, but couldn't get a complete answer...maybe this will go somewhere, can you help me out on this one? I was planning on slapping on a limbsaver. What kind of additional weight are we talking here?

Default Recoil reducer.

Without putting it on the scale I would guess that I gained about a half pound or so maybe a little more. The Mercury reducer is used mostly in shotguns I believe. It is a small cylinder with Mercury in side. Murphy could no doubt do a better job of explaining how it works other than adding weight. My Gunsmith came up with the idea and the rifle is more shootable now. Don't know how much credit goes the reducer or the pad. He used spray in foam to bed the reducer. I did not remove the pad to see where he mounted it.

Default Tikka is better.

Even though I do not like detachable magazines, I have had 8 or 9 Tikka T3 Lites. They all were shooters and I mean right out of the box. I handload and there was not much tweaking to get it right. From 270 to 338 including a 270WSM and a 300WSM they were great. Don't get fooled by some comments that criticize them for having a lot of "plastic". That isn't plastic and remember they are made in the Sako factory by the same crew and machines that make the $1100 Sakos.
    One legitimate complaint is that they have a one size fits all actions and mag. box. This limits things for us handloaders a bit but they were all MOA shooters.
    Certainly a 300WM or 300WSM in a T3 would be a do all for all your AK needs.
    Better yet would be a 270Win and a 338WM if the wallet can handle it.
    As for Wthby Ultra Lites, I tried to get two .270Wins to shoot better than 3 inches at 100 yards - so no need to elaborate on what I think.
    Good luck!

Default tikka it is

guys...thanks to all that responded. I am gonna go with the Tikka in the 300 win mag. It will serve as my sheep, bou, etc gun. My 375 HH will serve as the BIG dangerous game killer. Appreciate all the help. Boondocks has one on hold for me. Will pick it up today.

Lightbulb Now we're getting somewhere...

t-w-t...I think I will create a knew thread on this. I get so darn curious when it comes to "how" things work and this is really an itch in my side. Thanks for the input...I am a small guy and I am going to look into this further.

Jason...Let me know how that baby shoots! What scope/mounts did you decide to go with?

Joshua

Default Good choice Jason

If you look back I have been a huge fan of my .300WM Tikka. For what it is worth, I have had no issues using the factory rings and recoil pad. I initally bought it for a sheep gun, but tend to take it now for anything short of moose or big bear. It is a tack driver!

Dave

Default tikka t3's

I was looking into the tikka camo stainless t3's. Anyone know anything about em. Still debating on a t3 in ss or browning ss stalker.

Default Tikka t3 .300wsm

Get the tikka t3 in .300wsm. An awesome rifle. My 12 year old daughter shot her first bear with it and it doesn't hardly kick at all. I put a 3.5x10x40 vari x III on it. It is super light. Lighter than my partners weatherby .257. The stock is a question as I have broke mine and ended up fiberglassing over the broken part and spray painting it black! I works fine and I would have bought a replacement stock, but like stated before, no one makes one. It have not shot a the .300 mag in tikka, but have shot a lot of .300 mags. and the .300 wsm kicks a hell of a lot less. and you are not losing any performance. Extremly flat shooting and extremely accurate. You can't go wrong with the tikka t3.

Question How can this be??

Quote Originally Posted by northway View Post
    Get the tikka t3 in .300wsm...it doesn't hardly kick at all...It have not shot a the .300 mag in tikka, but have shot a lot of .300 mags. and the .300 wsm kicks a hell of a lot less...
    I understand the difference in burn rate, but how can it kick less? I can see a different "kind" of kick..."jab" vs. "slow-blow". Is this what you are referring too?

Lightbulb A-Bolt "Accuracy" vs. Tikka "Tack Driver"

Quote Originally Posted by verlaskan View Post
    I was looking into the tikka camo stainless t3's. Anyone know anything about em. Still debating on a t3 in ss or browning ss stalker.
    Verlaskan - I have just gone through all of the extensive research on the exact topic you are inquiring about if you care to have a listen.

I own the A-Bolt and I swear by its accuracy. I have never pulled the trigger of a better shooter. I have never had a single problem with it. With that being said, I will tell you that I had to think long and hard about not buying another one when I was shopping for a .300 wm. All doubts left my mind when I handled the Tikka T3! The Tikka is as smooth as a baby's butt and it is said to be a "tack driver". While I don't have first-hand experience with shooting them, I have read countless numbers of reviews and had conversation with many people that own and shoot them. There is an overwhelming amount of people that have very high recommendations for this gun. The ONLY complaint I have heard was that of the synthetic stocks breaking or the laminate stocks splitting and those were very very few cases.

I looked into the ss Lite vs ss camo and found that they are essentially the same rifle. The only differences I saw were that the camo has a camo stock, the barrel is matte ss, and it carries a heftier price tag.

I like the camo, but if I can't get it for about the same price...well, I can buy a roll of camo tape for about $8.

I will leave you with this...I am going with the T3 Lite for it's smooth action, precision on paper and weight. I am a little nervous about the stock, but I am assuming there is going to be an aftermarket available soon.

Here is the site to learn more about the T3 http://www.tikka.fi/
    Here is the site to learn more about the A-Bolt http://www.browning.com/products/cat...asp?value=001B

I am certain you WILL BE HAPPY with either rifle! Be confident that the rifle "fits" you properly before you buy.

Let me know how you make out.
    Joshua

Default Tikka's

Its is quite the toss up. I think I'm going to go with the t3 lite and a roll of tape. The camo model is aweful tempting though. It does come down to the jingle in the jar. browning stalker about 800$ tikka ss camo about 800$ and the ss lite is around 550$. Its to bad the tikka's dont have that drop away riggin instead of thier polypro clips.Thanks for the info.

Default Can't always have the best of both worlds!

Quote Originally Posted by verlaskan View Post
    ...Its to bad the tikka's dont have that drop away riggin instead of thier polypro clips.Thanks for the info.
    I hear ya on this one. Many guys like a floorplate, me being one of them, but I only heard ONE complaint about the detachable magazine and that was just that it had one (nothing to do with mechanical problems).

Getting down to the nitty gritty...We are talking about a "little brother" Sako here. Beggers can't be choosers and the most "likable" is not always the most "lite". Their magazine (and trigger guard assembly) is not a polypropylene product, they are a copolymer, which will most likely stand up to steel in any type of rockler testing lab. The beauty behind it all...the weight.

I am old school in just about every way, but if you are like me...you are looking for an "extreme conditions rifle". The T3 fits the bill for me!