Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Full moon...who's going out?

Default Full moon...who's going out?

It's warmed up to a balmy -8 here and my wife has a staff party for her work, so I think I'll be heading out in about a half hour. Anybody else heading out with call in hand tonight?

Default Negative

still -45 up here. Waiting for the warm up still. Heck the ice fog is so thick I cant even see the sky!

Default Huh uh

I am with Pointy. No way am I heading out in this cold. Nope, call me a sissy! I think I'll just spend at least part of the evening in good company with all of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ak River Rat View Post
    I am with Pointy. No way am I heading out in this cold. Nope, call me a sissy! I think I'll just spend at least part of the evening in good company with all of you.
    Nothing sissy about it. It's too easy for cold like that to kill ya if you make a mistake.
    Now what ?

Default Mom

I was born in Fairbanks. I remember mom getting mad at the 4 of us because we were stir crazy and picking on each other. She would kick us out of the house no matter how cold it was. If we did not go we could bank on trouble. We figured out pretty quick the best place to be was the middle of a snow bank. We built lots of snow caves.
    Don't mean to take the thread a different direction. It just got me to thinking about mom, and I miss her.
    So, been there in the cold. Trapping, hunting, construction, broken trucks. Me, I am gonna have fun right here next to the wood stove. But you guys going out be sure to write back.

Well, that was a bust. I sat on the Glenn Highway for 45 minutes or so, then caught a glimpse of how far the stand-still traffic stretched. I assume by the ambulance that passed by that it was a bad accident. I have a long day tomorrow, and given the length of the backed-up traffic and the distance to where I was going to call, it quickly became apparent that I would be getting home in the wee hours of the morning. I had to bag it this time around.

Hopefully those involved in the accident aren't injured too badly.

That's too bad. I went outside an hour ago and noticed the big ol brite moon and thought it sure would be a great night for some calling. I need to start road hunting when these full moons come around.

Default Darn it

I planned on staying up late just for your report Brian. Huge letdown. Maybe next time.
    Even though cold here that moon sure is inviting.

Default Going Now

It's saying -36 here in Fairbanks so I'm gonna hit it here in a minute for a few hours. Road hunt only at these temps. I'll keep you all posted. I've got all the "mission critical" goodies with me too. See ya'll tomorrow.

Just got back from calling on the Anchor River bottom. Darn right chilly down there. Only made 2 stands. First stand after calling for about 10 minutes, I tried a howl and had a yote howl and bark back at me from across the muskeg. Never did see it. Second stand I was too busy shivering. Called it a night and now I'm enjoying a gin-n-tonic. Maybe I'll hit it again on Saturday and try the beach on the Cook Inlet side.

Default Just got back

And man was it chilly, -26 at my spot. I only did one stand with my new homemade e-caller, worked great except for the speaker which was too small, I could barely hear it and I was only about 25 yds away. Beautiful out there, very peaceful. I think I could have done one more, but with the low volume it seemed kinda pointless. I will be looking for a new spwaker setup tomorrow so I can try again tomorrow night.

The poster formerly known as trapperdude.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Well, that was a bust. I sat on the Glenn Highway for 45 minutes or so, then caught a glimpse of how far the stand-still traffic stretched. I assume by the ambulance that passed by that it was a bad accident. I have a long day tomorrow, and given the length of the backed-up traffic and the distance to where I was going to call, it quickly became apparent that I would be getting home in the wee hours of the morning. I had to bag it this time around.

Hopefully those involved in the accident aren't injured too badly.
    The wife and I just got home from our 18 year anniversary date and were stuck in the traffic too. I called my buddy who was working the accident and it was a fatality. Absolutely absurd situation though! DRUNK brother (3 prior DUIs BTW) driving with SOBER driver as passenger! DRUNK brother was ejected through the windshield and appears to be deceased. Sober brother was alive and unknown on exact injuries.

Absolutely STUPID! At least no innocent parties were hurt. I can't believe the sober brother would get into the truck with a drunk brother....
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Quote Originally Posted by trappermike View Post
    I only did one stand with my new homemade e-caller, worked great except for the speaker which was too small, I could barely hear it and I was only about 25 yds away. Beautiful out there, very peaceful. I think I could have done one more, but with the low volume it seemed kinda pointless. I will be looking for a new spwaker setup tomorrow so I can try again tomorrow night.

Which speaker did you end up with? I can lend you my caller if you can't find a speaker today. I haven't had any problems with my speaker.

I don't know the brand of speaker, but it was a cheapy. Really loud in the garage while I was testing it, but obviousley in closed quarters aint the same. Have any ideas on where one might get a speaker locally, or are they ALL junk? Thanks for the offer to use yours, I sent you a PM. Thanks

The one on the parts list I have is. . .
    Speco SPC-5 PA Speaker (bought off the net) = $8.59ea

Is this the one I don't want?
    Or is yours the Radio Shack one?
    I am about to head over the Wasilla Radio Shack and get some parts to start building so info on the "wrong" stuff or what works better would be great.

Andy

The speaker I have did'nt come from the shack, but from reading other input from people the spc-5 or whatever is a good one, the ones from the shack apparently are not that good. Just what I heard from aksnowshoe. I was in a hurry to get out and bought a cheap one locally cause I did'nt want to wait for one to be shipped, now I will probably be waiting anyway.

Thanks Mike!
    I will go on and order the Speco now, and soon as the ice melts off the trucks windows I'm off to the Shack.

Andy

Default Cold Night

Went out and made 4 stands last night. It hit -40 and by the last stand it was time to head home. I accidentally dropped my plastic speaker and it shattered the housing. The best speakers I've seen for our Arctic conditions are made by a company called TOA. The TOA 10Watt model would be ideal for any of the homebrew callers in my opinion. They have an aluminum housing so they'll stand up to our weather. Didn't see any critters other than a couple moose. The sound sure carries a looooong ways at -40 though.

Default Cold

Sorry you're speaker broke snow. I've been having some tech. difficulties too. Got some snow in my cheapo mp3 player about 3 days ago and now it wont work. Was up in town today and bought one of the sport models with the sealed case and will try it tonight. Went out last night and made 2 stands at -27 with the wind ripin. No luck but the moon was just too bright to not go at all. Oh well, at least it was cold! Good luck to every one, be safe!

Shoe

Aksnowshoe,
    My old home brew unit used to suffer similar issues once in awhile. If you're thinking of going wireless with an Azden type unit, those work really good. I was able to get over 150 yards with that thing and it was crystal clear. For a good battery test, I put my Scorpion out at -30 last week on about 3/4 volume with my external horn speaker. I was running 2200mAH NiMH AA batteries (10pack) and it ran the thing for 6.5 hours non-stop. I was highly impressed with that amount of time at those temps. Have you timed your e-caller to see what kind of run times you get at cold temps? Heading out again tonight to a new spot to see if I can drum up any action.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast