Thread: Boots

Default Boots

I know this thread has probably been beat up a couple of times but I'm looking for a good boot not alot of insulation because my feet sweat, good for hiking miles while hunting for bears, water proof for Moose hunting (I also have hip waders),and caribou hunting? In short a good all around boot that works?

I'll throw in some suggestions, but the SEARCH function for boots under the GEAR forum will yield some good results, as I have read most of them myself.

- Irish Setters
    - Kennetreks
    - Danner
    - Rubber boots, like LaCrosse, etc

Seems like you need a boot without much stiffness, so the Kennetreks may be too much for you. Also you probably want a high cut boot around 10 inches or so.

Check out the Danner Ft. Lewis Go Devils.

I've had two pair since 1991. The first pair with military and cop abuse and little care lasted 7 years. I'm working on my 12th year with my second pair which have weathered much better with more disciplined care. They are seriously due for a resoling, but they're still in good shape.
    Now what ?

I can really recommend Danners.

I've used a set of "Ultralights" for hunting (and work, and darn near everything else) this year and I'm impressed. A little taller version I believe is called the "upland" or some such. Cordura uppers and Gore Tex lined.

I'm looking to replace my cold weather boots and I'm probably getting some of their insulated boots as well.

I'd be leery of the imported Danners- stick with the ones with the USA made label.

The kenetreks are good depending on what you are doing. In the tundra they would be very good and they are likely the best thing going for a crossover boot for mountain, tundra, wooded and swamp. I have 1 year on mine and have stood in a glacial river for 1/2 an hour dropping the jet foot to clear debris and they didn't leak. I have also wondered around bogs for hours with nice dry feet while wearing them. They are comfortable to hike in and I have never had a blister while wearing them. The first trip out I walked 12 miles with them full of water after wading part of a river with no pain or blisters. IMHO they could be stiffer for the mountains and the sole could be softer for the woodlands. The stiffer sole makes it hard to keep from breaking twigs which gets pretty anoying.

I also purchased a set of Irish Setters and they are total junk! They leak right through the sole. The Setter soles get water in them and then squeek when you walk. After 1 season mine were done

I hear lots of good things about Danners, but I prefer the mountains and with that the mountain boots. Kennetrek, Lowa, Scarpa, maybe Meindl. If you have the cash then Get Lowas or Scarpa for the mountains, LaCross Alphaburly or similar for the bogs and some woods, a light water proof hiker for the woods and a set of Kennetreks for when you will be doing all of the above evenly and need a boot that does everyhing good without doing anything great!

I have to agree with hre814, I have a pair of Irish Setters by Red wing/ Elk Trackers. I paid somewhere around the $350 mark and they are well worth the money. I've owned them for close to 3 years now, wear them everyday (not to mention, I drive a concrete truck). I hunt and work in them , never had a leak or cold feet (600 gr.Thinsulate). I keept them up with weekly oiling.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    The kenetreks are good depending on what you are doing. In the tundra they would be very good and they are likely the best thing going for a crossover boot for mountain, tundra, wooded and swamp. I have 1 year on mine and have stood in a glacial river for 1/2 an hour dropping the jet foot to clear debris and they didn't leak. I have also wondered around bogs for hours with nice dry feet while wearing them. They are comfortable to hike in and I have never had a blister while wearing them. The first trip out I walked 12 miles with them full of water after wading part of a river with no pain or blisters. IMHO they could be stiffer for the mountains and the sole could be softer for the woodlands. The stiffer sole makes it hard to keep from breaking twigs which gets pretty anoying.

I also purchased a set of Irish Setters and they are total junk! They leak right through the sole. The Setter soles get water in them and then squeek when you walk. After 1 season mine were done

I hear lots of good things about Danners, but I prefer the mountains and with that the mountain boots. Kennetrek, Lowa, Scarpa, maybe Meindl. If you have the cash then Get Lowas or Scarpa for the mountains, LaCross Alphaburly or similar for the bogs and some woods, a light water proof hiker for the woods and a set of Kennetreks for when you will be doing all of the above evenly and need a boot that does everyhing good without doing anything great!
    i agree with lujon:
    except for extreme conditions (bunnys) the pac boots are a good compromise. i wear schnee's, from boseman mt. they are the original mfg of that type of boot. they make several models, depending on the conditions, buy the "air bob" sole. traction is great and they are quiet. i have worn mine for mountain hunts, as well as in the stirrup. highly recommended.

** kenetrek owner was a long time schnee employee.

happy trails.
    jh
    mailto:service@schnees.com

kenetrek makes nice pac boots as well, if that is what you are interested in. the also make hiking/mountain boots

I ended up buying the Proghorn Danners with 200 grams of Thinsulate, I have only wore them once since I bought them yesterday and I must say they are the most comfortable pair of boots I've ever worn. Thanks for all the help!

Default Danner Vanish Insulated boots?

Has any one heard about the Danner Vanish Insulated boots? Some people are saying they are better than the pronghorn series. I am looking at getting one of these just hoping you guys might have some input. Thanks.

I like these Muck Boots.... very dry... I hate wet feet!
    http://www.muckbootcompany.com/products/WDM-MOBU
    "Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan