Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Valdez, Seward, Homer

Smile Valdez, Seward, Homer

My husband and I will be in Alaska for 13 weeks this summer. We have a 24' cuddycabin and would like to do some fishing, exploring, hiking, and just relaxing. If you could pick 1 one the towns above to work in 3 days a week and play the other 4, which would you choose.

Thanks, Sherry

Quote Originally Posted by outdoorRN View Post
    My husband and I will be in Alaska for 13 weeks this summer. We have a 24' cuddycabin and would like to do some fishing, exploring, hiking, and just relaxing. If you could pick 1 one the towns above to work in 3 days a week and play the other 4, which would you choose.

Thanks, Sherry

Sherry,

This is a tough question. And it is similar to comparing Washington DC to New York, to Boston, to New Orleans. They all have something very nice to offer. A better question may be; what are you guys interested in doing? I think that information is paramount in answering your question. You should think about that and let us know as each of the towns that you listed are very different in nature. Please help us out.

Tim

Default I would have to say Seward!

Probably because I fish there a dozen or so times a year. Beatifull scenery and there so many different types of fish to catch. And they are all close to the harbor. Although I did go fishing out of Valdez last year and loved it. It seemed that you had to go a long ways for good fishing in Valdez though. Just my 2 cents.

Default what time frames?

Each port is going to have there own highlights - A lot will depend on the time frame in the summer and if you plan on doing a four day cruise each time? All three ports have some good fishing at different times of the year. If you really like halibut - then I would choose Homer, but if you plan on a four day cruise then Seward has some great areas to see and you can get just about all the varietys of fish.. Valdez for silver salmon in late August is really hard to beat.

I'll second Valdez in August when the Silvers are in. I'm pretty sure that Valdez is pretty steady through the summer with the halibut charters. When the pinks are in, there is quite a bit of people down there catching those easy salmon. I think to ask this question each person will have his or her own opinion, and I would bet most of it would be based upon either how close the location is to them, or if their boat is located their, of course fishing. IMO, this is Alaska, can you really go wrong? Each port has its own strengths and weaknesses. As you can tell, I love Valdez, the family boat is located down there, and you can't beat the scenery!

Fish On!
    http://www.youtube.com/growden1

Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

Quote Originally Posted by outdoorRN View Post

Thanks, Sherry
    Others jumped in head first, so I will too.

You can't beat Seward for varitey in fishing. You will have very good odds at catching anything that you want to catch up here fairly close in.

Valdez is great too. Wonderful silver fishing, decent halibut fishing, and lots of ling cod and rock fish. Halibut fishing is a long boat ride.......

Homer is just as great. But, with that said, you'll have great chances at the big old butts' but the other species, other than kings will be reduced or not practical at all. Homer is a great town but your variety is very limited in what you are likely to catch.

Why not go each place? Heck you have lots of times here. Go out and have some fun !!!!

If I was going to stay in one place for 13 weeks I would go to Seward. You are not going to be fishing every day of the week and in your non fishing time Seward has many things to do. Valdez is nice but there is not much to do it is just plain boring if you are not fishing.

First of all, welcome to the forum

My wife and I are travel nurses as well. We just renewed our Alaska nursing license for another two years recently. Working on Cape Cod now, but plan to return to Alaska when this contract is over. Spent two years in NW Alaska (Nome and Kotz) and loved every minute of it. We now get back to Alaska two or three times a year. Of the three places you mentioned, I suggest an assignment in Seward. Aside from the hospital, they may also have some positions at a SNF. Either way, you will have four days a week to play. Seward is a short drive to the Cooper Landing area near the Kenai. Great fishing there, among other places, June-Sept. Lots of stuff closer to Seward as well and tons of hiking. Lost Lake Trail is near Seward. Nice hike to a secluded lake with great views, a state run cabin ($45/night) and grayling fishing. Some great day trips in that area for sure. Tons to do on the Kenai Peninsula. Below are some wildlife images from a recent trip to the Kenai Penninsula in the last week of May this past year. Most all the wildlife images were on a day cruise out of Seward. We went out on one of the "Capt Choice" day cruises with Kenai Fjords Tours. Beautiful area with lots of wildlife. Feel free to pm me with any questions.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2114408...95387576/show/
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

This is a tough one. But here I go

If you are looking for Halibut

Best place

Homer- You don't have to go far at all
    Seward-Is my next choice. You will at least have to drive a little way
    Whitter-Spotty at best if you don't go out far

Scenery
    Whitter- Hands down the most beautiful ride you will do
    Seward- Not as nice Whitter but close
    Homer- Not much to look at

Other Fish
    Whitter and Seward offer great combos on rock fish and lings. you
    Note Seward you would have to be outside of resurrection bay for Ling. Season 1 July
    Homer- would be my last choice.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default vote for Seward

Quote Originally Posted by captaindd View Post
    If I was going to stay in one place for 13 weeks I would go to Seward. You are not going to be fishing every day of the week and in your non fishing time Seward has many things to do. Valdez is nice but there is not much to do it is just plain boring if you are not fishing.

Seward also puts you closer to the convenience of Los Anchorage.

Well I spend most of my time going out of Seward so I am a bit partial, but I wouldn't limit myself to just one place.

Timing is key to fishing success. As much as I like Seward I usually spend the first few weekends fishing the inlet. Halibut are easier to find and the King Salmon fishing is a lot less work than Seward.

Towards the end of June and first of July it is Seward on through August. Sprinkle in some trips to Whittier here and there and you have 12-13 weeks of good boating.

With that being said I think I would base myself out of the Soldatna area. You have the new Hospital to work from, and are more centrally located to go to either Homer or Seward. You have a few mor options for normal everyday living, ie places to shop and eat. Can't speak on housing though, maybe some of the local guys can chime in on that.

Kepping your options open is a good thing. If weather comes in on the inlet your day could be shot without even getting on the water, I know that from experience. I have had plenty of 2 day tripes to Homer or Deep creek that resulted in 1 day fishing with great water and going back home the next because I can't get on the water.

In Seward I have never been down and not Launched. Not saying the weather is always good, and I have been out in some nasty stuff, but there is always someplace to get out of the mess.

Haven't fished Valdez so no comment there. I am sure where ever you end up it will be a great time so have fun.

Smile All are good choices IMO

Personally I don’t find Valdez boring and…if you know where to go you can find Halibut close to Valdez just as big in average size without having to make long trips. But, I don’t find Homer or Seward boring either and enjoy those fishing opportunities just as much.

You don’t say what it is you expect to do for work (RN?) but I don’t think you can go wrong with any of those choices for adventure. Each area has its own unique nuggets of gold to explore outside of fishing. Valdez is more isolated than the other two but offers just as much outdoor excitement. The fishing is going to be equally exciting throughout the Prince William Sound area regardless of where you base from. I would stress due caution when boating open waters in a smaller craft as the WX can turn on a dime so plan accordingly.

I’d also run the averages for WX in all your chosen locations. Seward and Homer may be closer in WX patterns but Valdez can get socked in. Located in between Valdez and Homer, Seward may be considered more centrally located also for visiting surrounding areas but then again…guess it depends on where you want to explore. For me, the location would depend on the job and...where I was bedding down for 13-weeks.

Best of luck! You’ll enjoy it regardless where you land. Do you plan on staying on board?

-Tim
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

All good advice so far. Again, a lot of it is going to be based on what you most want out of the experience and how tied down work will make you. I'll just throw a "combo" idea out there.

Alaska Gray mentioned Whittier instead of Valdez as a starting point into Prince William Sound. This might work better for you in a couple of ways:
    First, it's close to Anchorage, so any shopping you need to do, or if you just need some time away from the outdoors, you'd only be an hour or so away. You would also be within about an hour and a half of Seward, so you could explore PWS say the first part of the trip, then move the whole operation to Seward towards the end of the summer. That would time it with arguably the best silver salmon fishing oppurtunity within a few hours of Anchorage, and some top-knotch bottom fishing as well.

The OP will be spending 13 weeks in one of the locations, not traveling around for 13 weeks. I can see how this may be confusing from the post, but she is looking for a 13 week travel nurse assignment and will be in that location the whole time.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Whittier as a concept would still allow a fairly quick 2 0r 3 day trip to Seward, heck even just a day trip...if they chose. Or vice versa. Base in Seward...Whittier (and Prince William Sound) isn't that far away. I was trying to think as centrally as possible to allow the most options.

Are they glued to that town for the 13 weeks every day? Given the info from the OP, I was not confused but was making a suggestion, or an observation of possiblities, and assuming they could go where they want on their days off.

Good point man. Just wanted to be sure other people knew that the town chosen was "homebase" for the entire 13 weeks. The homebase would need to have a hospital for employment. I did not realize that there was a hospital in Whittier.

Alright, so they need a hospital to base out of...then I think Whittier is out. I didn't realize that (still don't see where they say that, but I'm going with what dan seems to know). Then I would recommend Seward for an all-around home base. You can pretty much do everything there, and the boat rides don't have to be ridiculously long to do it.

I'd still recommend either taking the boat via the road to Whittier for a Prince William Sound launch, or drive the boat around the point from Seward and spend a few days exploring and anchoring up for the night in PWS.

Another option is to go the opposite way out of Resurrection Bay and explore the other more remote Kenai Fjords...it is amazing scenery, and once you pass Aialik Bay you will see few other people. All of that is weather-dependent, however, as you'd be exposed to the Gulf and things can get nasty quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by coho slayer View Post
    Alright, so they need a hospital to base out of...then I think Whittier is out. I didn't realize that (still don't see where they say that, but I'm going with what dan seems to know).
    She is a travel nurse looking for a 13 week assignment. Reason I know is because my wife and I are both travel nurses as well. The name, outdoor RN (registered nurse) and the 13 week time frame gave it away. Travel nurses work 13 week assignments.

Lots of good suggestions here, I was just trying to keep the info relevant to her needs. Not trying to ruffle any feathers.

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    She is a travel nurse looking for a 13 week assignment. Reason I know is because my wife and I are both travel nurses as well. The name, outdoor RN (registered nurse) and the 13 week time frame gave it away. Travel nurses work 13 week assignments.

Lots of good suggestions here, I was just trying to keep the info relevant to her needs. Not trying to ruffle any feathers.
    Aaahh...I got the RN part, but I couldn't figure out how you knew the rest. Wasn't worried about it, just trying to help out with ideas. The more I think about it, if I had those three choices, as much as I love Valdez, I'd probably pick Seward just because it has more opportunities and is closer to other opportunities then the rest. It's not that far from Anchorage, either, if they wanted a weekend in town or needed to do some cheaper shopping.

I assumed as much also regarding the RN. Valdez has a new hospital of sorts…http://www.providence.org/alaska/valdez/1medcenter.htm

but I confess for easy access to “other” areas say a short road trip or lake adventure Seward may be a better choice but...I'm not convinced. I don’t like Seward being tucked inside a large bay but so again is Valdez. I think Seward has better restaurants...Valdez has let themselves GOOOO in that department...Homer…open waters so it’s a tossup. From a beauty stand point you can’t beat the surrounding mountains in Valdez…plus you might luck out and get the perfect slip for 13 weeks...But...Seward does call to me. Sorry Homer...accordingly to the CVB they don't need the action anyway.
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast