Thread: woolpower

Default woolpower

Anyone ever tried this brand of wool? It is supposed to be top of the line stuff, but I am not sure if it differs from regular merino. It looks good, but it is pricey.

Woolpower formally know as Ullfrotte is great wool clothing. I have smartwool Patagonia and Woolpower. I like the woolpower the best.

Pros
    The inside of the top is smoother and tighter to prevent itching while the outside has larger loops and is much better at making dead air spaces to keep the body warm.
    My ľ crew neck 200 weight has a duck tail which I find invaluable as the shirt does not ride up exposing my back.
    The arms are long enough that I donít have to continually pull on them to cover my wrists.

I have washed it in a gentle cycle with ivory baby soap and laid it flat to dry with no shrinkage

Cons
    Those same larger loops that trap dead air makes it mid layer as any kind of wind will blow right threw, it needs the benefit of an outer layer be it a hard shell or a tight knit outer wool layer.

I have not tried other high end wool garments like IBEX or Icebreaker, so I can not say which is best but for my money I will be buying more Woolpower items including the socks which are getting some great reviews.

I found a link that has some additional info. http://www.woolpower.se/ca/asp/info_ca.asp

Do you think that it wicks better than capilene? Would love to have two shirts side by side and see which one dries the fastest. It has been said that the merino wicks very well. What has been your experience?

One advantage for sure would be the lack of stink that merino wool would generate. After about three days in the field I can barely stand myself in poly-pro or polyester. I have noticed that my feet don't stink much when wearing wool socks compared to synthetic. Have you ever tried merino underwear? Hard to believe that stuff wouldn't itch though.

Talking wool comments

i have hunted Alaska three times and used Filson and Smartwool base layers---no itch---no stink--no problems---have not used Woolpower so can not comment directly--the newer generation of wool baselayers are great

THanks for the info. Do you have wool under shorts as well? Hard to believe those don't itch just a little. Would like to find an alternative for my synthetic underwear. After a few days in the bush they become almost repulsive.

Default boxers

i use the smartwool boxers---no problem with itch or stink---as i said ,great products---not like the years ago itchy wool products that could only be worn as a mid layer