Thread: Muck Boots

Default Muck Boots

You know - I first saw a pair of muck boots on a raft guide up in Denali. He really liked them quite a bit.

So, when I got back to Juneau I bought a pair, and, aside from looking a little "girly" by Xtra-tuff standards, I actually like them quite a bit too.

I don't wear them in the field, but I have worn them fishing, and quite a bit around the yard.

Today I have to go move snow around in the driveway again, and my attire includes my muck boots, and Helly soft bibs. I never get wet, cold, or sweat with this combo.
    "...just because we didn't agree with you doesn't mean we didn't have good discussion. It just means you missed it." -JMG-

I also have several pairs of Muck boots, and after 3 winters I can this about them...
    - they are warm. During last weeks cold snap I had no issues at all.
    - they're very light weight.
    - grip well in snow, traction in anything else is a coin toss.
    - the soles wear FAST. After just one winter, a pair of Hosier's were completely worn out on the soles, the uppers tho were looking like new. My pair of Wetlands and Muck Masters are holding up well.

It's still a good boot tho. Did you get yours at Western Auto?

Default Tops roll down...

one nice feature of this boot (Muck Wetlands) was cooling off by rolling down the neoprene top.

Hard to imagine that it got warm hauling gear back in September.

Danny,

I did get mine at Western Auto.... which, if I can plug them here, is my one-stop shopping store in Juneau for most of my outdoor needs.

I just found out last year that MUCK was making different types of boots. The style I have are the classic barnyard ones... the tops don't roll down too easily.

I really like the neoprene uppers for weight and airiness (if that's a word). I'd love to see a genuine hiking boot employ some of that.
    "...just because we didn't agree with you doesn't mean we didn't have good discussion. It just means you missed it." -JMG-

Default Rolldown feature...

is like the basic idea behind layering and pit zips- that you can alter properties of your gear to adapt to temperature/conditions.

I did add some insoles/inserts to improve the fit of the boots. They're very comfortable for my feet anyway.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by SoggyMountain View Post
    Danny,

I did get mine at Western Auto.... which, if I can plug them here, is my one-stop shopping store in Juneau for most of my outdoor needs.
    yea, Western Auto is pretty much the place to go in juneau if you need anything serious. they carry everything including the kitchen sink.

(ps..I have no affiliation with them at all....)

check out hank's on the internet. they carry the whole line of mucks. just google muck boots. also shipping is decent, about 8 bucks.

but I will admit I like my sorells....

I have the "Arctic Sport" insulated model and love 'em. They are dang near too hot sometimes. Have used them for snowmaching riding and even with snowshoes strapped to them and they work great.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Default Down Fall

I'm on my third pair of Arctic Sports. Love them!!!! I only wish the outer liner was tougher. Granted I probably put more miles on my muck boots than my truck in a year. They are a good boot and the ones pictured are still waterproof. I just repair them with shoegoe and keep going. However I will be buying another pair soon.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by DannyL View Post
    yea, Western Auto is pretty much the place to go in juneau if you need anything serious. they carry everything including the kitchen sink.

(ps..I have no affiliation with them at all....)

check out hank's on the internet. they carry the whole line of mucks. just google muck boots. also shipping is decent, about 8 bucks.

but I will admit I like my sorells....
    Wore Sorells a lot when I was up north. Too dang heavy for my feet down here.

I remember the first time I returned to Juneau and still had bunny boots from up north.... THEY SUCKED for mountain climbing. But, I was young, and it was fun.

A PS for you Danny... If a local merchant carries a product for me, I support them. The internet isn't my "go-to" store.