Thread: Tikka 300 wsm factory ammo??

Default Tikka 300 wsm factory ammo??

Just picked up a Tikka t3 lite SS in .300 wsm. Does anybody know what factory ammo this gun likes. I know each gun is different, but I would like a starting point since ammo is so expensive now.

I sighted in a friends 300 WSM in a Kimber 8400 that shot the magical "MOA" with Federal Barnes 180 gr. TSX. I next shot some of the same stuff in my Kimber and chronographed velocities for one box of between 3200 and 3250 fps which is some 250+ fps faster than advertised. It felt all of that vel and did leave ejector marks!! That was just one box, the rest was pretty well behaved as I recall.

Quote Originally Posted by shphtr View Post
    I sighted in a friends 300 WSM in a Kimber 8400 that shot the magical "MOA" with Federal Barnes 180 gr. TSX. I next shot some of the same stuff in my Kimber and chronographed velocities for one box of between 3200 and 3250 fps which is some 250+ fps faster than advertised. It felt all of that vel and did leave ejector marks!! That was just one box, the rest was pretty well behaved as I recall.
    Wow, I wonder if something is wrong with your chrono? I fired factory Fed 180 AB's and 180 SP's in my Sako 300 WSM and they chrono'd at about 3000 or just under. My handloaded 180 E-tps were doimh close to 3020 and hand loaded 168 TTSX's were doing about 3050 or so. I'm not at all doubting you but that is hard to believe those velocites for 180's out of a 300 WSM. Maybe Fed put a hot batch out???

Michel, I think most guns will be a little different even from the same make and model. My approach would be to start shooting the bullets that suited me best first until I found a load that worked for me.

All the Tikka's I had seen were not finicky. The exception being a T3 in 308 I bought a few months back. It dosen't like anything. I have contacted them and am sending it in for a closer look. Federal ammo with Nosler 180's give a 3 shot group of 2.5" at 50 yards.
    180 Corloks are around 4" and groups of 6" at 100 yards with 150 and 180 Winchester factory fodder are the norm.
    Not sure what is going on. Talley rings, Leupold scope and limbsaver pad. When I called and spoke to their smith he asked if I had cleaned all the copper out when I got it. Seems they don't do that after test firing them, which was aparent.
    Told him I used Sweets on it until patches came out clean, He didn't act too impressed or seemed to be in a chatty mood.
    I asked him if they had a local smith that could do factory warranty work, but they dont.
    Definately a PIA to have to box it up and send it back.

I've heard from more than one source that Federal Premium 165 TSX's is the most accurate factory .300 WSM load.

Brent

I bought the same rifle this past summer and bought 3 different loads.

Federal ammo, Barnes TSX, Triple shock and the Accubond. All three shot the same. However, I took the TSX on my goat hunt and wasn't happy with the damage done to the goat. I think I will stick to the Accubond bullets. These were all 180gr.