Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many miles on your snowmachine?

Default How many miles on your snowmachine?

My '90 SKS Indy 500 has about 3,900 (mostly) trouble-free miles on it. My other A/C machines have 800 & 2,500 miles. How 'bout you guys?

Tim

Mine, maybe 300 and the wifes, about 260.

My '93 XLT went to 7500 miles before the crank broke. I was the third owner and it started with less than 2000 miles on the clock. Two top end rebuilds and at least three clutches in it's lifetime. Modded with a new tunnel and 144" track in 1997. I had one 3000 mile season on that sled, mostly off trail.

My '98 Summit X is pushing 5000 miles on it. I bought it in 2001 with 1000 miles on it. I don't ride nearly as much as I used to and most of those 4000 miles I put on it were done in three seasons. It was also modded with a rolled chain case and a 144x2" track. Then a custom chrome moly and aluminum front end, 2003 151" suspension set back 4" to allow a 159" track. One top end rebuild after a very violent and epic detonation seizure while racing an RX-1 up the Tit at Summit. That's what you get from running fuel from the previous season on your first ride. Otherwise it's been a super reliable sled.

All my kids' and wife's Polaris sleds have over 2500 miles on them with no problems. The only issues I have had are my son forgetting to put oil in his Indy Lite twice He did his first and second top end rebuild on a sled at age 10 and 11...LOL..

Wrist and shoulder problems have kept me from serious riding since 2005. I now have decent health insurance and I'll be heading in for some rebuilds on myself soon. I really hope to be out riding an M8 in '09/'10
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Wink Mileage?

96 Bearcat 13629 miles
    98 Power sp 5625 miles
    05 Bearcat 660 10384 miles
    06 Yamaha VK Pro 9612 miles
    07 Apex Attak 3896 miles
    09 Yamaha VK Pro 612 miles And counting!!!!
    After looking at that list I think my back hurts!!! Time to hit the Hot Tub!!!
    Trail Boss
    Willow Trail Committe
    ALASKA'S Winter Park Cabins
    To boldly make trail where no man has gone before!!!

Trail Boss hit on something that many don't consider when buying a used machine. When buying a used machine I like to ask people where they ride. I bought and Indy Lite GT and a 500EFI used that had never been off a trail according to the owner. Looking at him, his wife, and the way the sleds were equiped for trail riding, I believed him. I have friends in the states that have put 10,000 miles on their sleds in a good winter on groomed trails. My wife's uncle in the midwest has an old Arctic Cat Wildcat with over 25,000 miles on it and it's never had a major repair in it's life.

Now, take your typical Alaskan mountain sled/ off trail user. Bent trailing arms, suspension rails, broken windshields and cowlings were a weekly occurance. If I wasn't upside down once every 25 miles I wasn't riding hard enough. Alders jamb in every nook and cranny were something you cleaned out in the summer On those sleds I listed in my previous post I totally left out all the damage caused by ME... The reason my SummitX got a custom front end was that I could no longer afford to replace trailing arms and shocks at the rate I was killing them.

I've never been a trail rider. I have ridden on some of Trail Boss's trails years ago when I would mark the dog race trail that is now the Don Bower's Memorial before Don passed away. The Willow system is one of the best in Alaska. I have ridden the Eureka system also, but usually only towing out dead sleds from the back country. Otherwise I spent every weekend making my own tracks

"05 600 TUV 4600+

We used to ride between 3 and 5 thousand miles a year from '96 to '02. And these weren't "trail" miles. nudge, nudge

No nudging needed. I've done a couple myself and those sleds were trashed by the end of the season. We just haven't had the snow in the mid 2000's to pull it off enjoyably. There are rides that I just can't make unless there's an honest 8' of snow smashing the alders down. Still waiting to see if we can pull it off again this year in March.

I hear that! We haven't had a great snow year in quite awhile I remember the winter of 99/00 when it rained for 3 days straight here. Eureka got 6 feet of heavy coastal snow. EPIC! I do remember my '97 583 Summit had 8000 on it when I sold it after 2 seasons. Can't remember exactly how many miles all my other sleds had.

On another note: I think I know one of the reasons we have bad backs. All those miles on chassis originally designed for trail riding. Not to mention that was before handle bar risers. ooooohhhh, my back!
    Last edited by mod elan; 01-09-2009 at 16:54. Reason: addition

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45 View Post
    Mine, maybe 300 and the wifes, about 260.
    I musta' misted that thread! New machines?

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Trail Boss hit on something that many don't consider when buying a used machine.

My wife's uncle in the midwest has an old Arctic Cat Wildcat with over 25,000 miles on it and it's never had a major repair in it's life.
    I bought my '90 used from an old timer who strictly rode out of Eureka; it was jetted and lowered geared for the hills.

25k is phenomenal! Guess that's what got me to start the thread...someone on 24hourcampfire (in Alaska) posted a pic of their odometer with 22,500 +/- on it! My SKS really hasn't given me any problems; one clutch, a few belts, some plugs, ski skags & a few other minor repairs...been happy with it; put about $450 into at the shop through the years.

My oldest boy hammered my '90 SKS two weekends ago...in a pullout! Busted up the windshield, instrument cluster and cowling-'till that point she was a clean 'beaut in great shape. Happened right after I got it out of the shop (took 'er in so I would have time to tune the other three sleds) and the guy said she had excellent compression and was a strong runner...thought I'd keep it forever; looks like sh** now. Given' it to the boy for him to fix, as I'll be in the market either this spring or next fall!

Tim

Default milage

08 summit X 800R 600 miles
    07 summit X 800R 2300 miles
    05 summit 600 2000 miles.
    93 tundra ????? miles
    all sleds look almost showroom even the tundra, we do alot of long 200+ mileage days most of it off trail, out limiting factor is fuel, where can we get it. I know what you mean about bad backs, but I think some of these newer sleds are set up SSSOOO much better than just the 98 models. I used to do 400 mile weekends, and take all week to recover. Like most things, you take care of them, they will last awhile. I am a strictly synthetic oil guy too, even the tundra gets amsoil interceptor!!

Default Old Polaris

90 Indy Classic 500- over 7,000 on the odometer that was broken for 4 years and I have not ridden it all for the past 3 years or more. One engine rebuild because of my mistake
    91 Sport GT- 4,800. Just pulled the clutches for the first time ever. Bombproof sled!
    96 Lite- 4,000 plus. After it got rolled I never replaced the odometer.
    80 something Elan- Who knows. But feels like a million after I get off of her!
    Hey, still looking for clutch tools. DUPONT SPINNER offered up a bunch of help and advise. You guys near Chugiak are lucky to have a neighbor like him. Thanks Spinner!

94 indy trail dlx at 10,000 had to rebuild then it was stolen
    was gone for just over a 1 1/2yrs before we got it back. still runs good.
    have a transport that blew the motor and has another in it
    also have a 440 fan supersport but cannot remember the mileage

Default sled miles

The Blue '05 Yamaha Vector Mtn. had 3200 miles when we sold that at dividend time....the Red '05 Yamaha Vector Mtn. 3800 miles when I sold it three weeks ago.

Just after we sold the Red sled, one of the Craiglist respondents asked "How do you get 3800 on a three year old sled?", Answer...same way in one season I accumulated 1.2 million vertical ft. at Eaglecrest...You go...sled, skis, ATV's, ain't supposed to sit in the garage!

If a little is good...a lot is better. Last one down eats quiche!
    Natural Selection begins with you!

Default ski doo 500 fan 2000

10,000 and just tossed in the 2nd engine, trobble free and all back country travel in NW Alaska.

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals
    Your best bet in rafts, canoes and camp rentals
    Kotzebue, Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by partychief360 View Post
    Just after we sold the Red sled, one of the Craiglist respondents asked "How do you get 3800 on a three year old sled?", Answer...same way in one season I accumulated 1.2 million vertical ft. at Eaglecrest...You go...sled, skis, ATV's, ain't supposed to sit in the garage!

If a little is good...a lot is better. Last one down eats quiche!
    My buddy who lives in Talkeetna was racking up 3,000 miles/year when he first moved out there. I think he's still putting 1000-1500/year on his machines. Wife and kids slowed him down a bit...

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by tccak71 View Post
    I musta' misted that thread! New machines?

Tim
    Actually, I was a bit off, wife has 180 imiles on hers and I have 240 on mine. Yep, brand new 08 Summit Adrenalin 600 HO SDI's, i've been doing a few things to my sled while the wife likes hers pretty much stock.

'08 600 RMK has over 3700 miles on it. '07 I bought in Sept used had 191, now has 570 so far.
    '04 Pro-X2 700 that I recently sold had 12k on it, '04 600Vertical Escape had 13.5k when sold.
    Used to regularly put on 8k-11k miles every winter before the fuel prices went crazy these past 5 years. Probably will end up with another 3-4k miles by mid-May.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

1999 MXZ 600 - 2100 miles (engine blown, oil pump gear failed)

2002 Renegade 800- 1900 miles (engine blown, piston skirt through lower case)

2004 Summit 800 - 1400 miles (engine blown, sucked air through delaminated reed cage)

2008 M1000 - 700 miles and counting

1992 Indylite GT - speedo broke in 1999 with 8,400 on odo, still going

2000 600 WT skandic - 28,000km (speedo broke in '07)
    2005 550f wt skandic- 22,000 km (speedo broke in '08)
    2007 V-800 swt 17,000 km (speedo still working)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast