Thread: Ft. Rich Winter Hunt (Success)

Default Ft. Rich Winter Hunt (Success)

Hunted Opening Day and Had to Leave for Work on the Slope. Did my sentence and came back and started to hunt after New Years

Well, After 5 days of hunting in Sub-Zero Temperatures on Ft. Richardson, within a restricted area hunt I finally found a sacrificial cow. I had seen lots of Moose within closed areas but not in open areas. I think the Moose had a map also and knew all the safe areas. It was like playing hide and seek with lots of home base safe areas.

This past Sunday at about 2 PM I spotted one bull (small rack) and 3 cows in an open area in Arctic Valley near the closed boundry near Hill Top. There was another bull and 2 cows and a calf on the left side of the road. It was 25 below Zero, an uphill drag if I harvested one and only 2 hours left of light, so I did the smart thing and passed.

Yesterday at 9:20 AM, I finally spotted a cow on my way to where I had seen the Moose on Sunday. She was about 100 yards from the boundry line and on the wrong side of the road. About 10 minutes later a few cars passing by, she migrated over to the other side of the boundry line. She stepped off the road side and I crept up to her, stood on the boundy line, stepped off the road, a 25 yard shot, and let my Bowtech "Tomkat" with a graphite Terminator Lite Hunter 4560 with a Muzzy 125 gr go to work. I hit her a little farther back than I would have liked and she bolted into the woods. I let her lay for about 1.5 hours and tracked her with the aid of Ft. Richardson Gamewarden (Jim) whom was a great guy and very professional. She had only gone about 75-100 yards and layed down. I put 3 more arrows into her and by 11:00 she was down. She was a tough girl to put down, but she had a lot of fat on her and will eat good. The posse' showed up at 12:00-12:30 and by 1:00 PM the work began. She ended up less than 100 yards off the road strait across from were I first saw her. By 3:20 PM we were on the way back home.

It was -15F the whole time, but no one got cold. It was a good hunt. I really wanted a Bull, but most of the Bulls had shed their Antlers or had partial sheds already. With Todays times, I really wanted to fill my tag. She is "Just a Cow" but a trophy to me since I got it with my bow.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Congrats!! Glad you had a posse to help during this cold.

No such thing as just a cow, any animal you take is a trophy! Congrats!
    Paul

Congrats, I took a cow on fort rich and I was as just as happy if i had taken a huge bull. Bearclaw is right, any animal you take is a trophy, expecially with a bow. Enjoy that cow meat, its super tender and tasty, expecially the backstrap. Good job!!

Default Congrats!

Sounds exactly like my hunt last year, and the cow meat is excellent! I agree any animal taken with a bow is a trophy!!

an old timer once told me, " you can boil and grill those antlers all you want, but they still don't taste very good!"
    Frame the photo, grill up some backstrap, and you'll be very happy!

Smile Well Done Chico!

Congratulations! Keep it up!

Thanks for the Kudos guys. To me anything killed with a bow is a trophy, but there are alot of folks that don't concur because its not a wall hanger. I don't really care, I have always been a meat hunter anyways. I will take the suggestion of framing a good picture and will also mount the arrow below the frame. Butchered her up today and got a little over 300 pounds of boneless meat. Will grill up some tenderloin tommorrow.

Mark

Congrats. Any animal with a bow is a trophy, and I would consider a rabbit with a shotgun a trophy if I shot it at -25 degrees out. Way to go.
    Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.

Default Congrats

Glad to hear you got one. My daughter and I got one in 429 the afternoon after we talked to you on the road (the 3rd), the same day we got off the ferry. It was late enough in the day and cold enough I could not get my camera and flash to work. I took a little video, but will have to see how it turned out. Congrats again on your moose.

Gary

Gary,

It was really nice meeting you and your daughter and chating with you from the Hunting Orientation, through out the hunt and now. Congrats on your moose also. Glad you could share it with your daughter before she had to go back to Kodiak. You definately hunted hard and put in your time for your moose. My son was not with me when I shot mine but wife pulled him out of school to help get her out of the woods. He was my grinder and sausage stuffer man yesterday and did 92 two pound bags of hamburger yesterday. He really gets into it.

Mark

BTW, Gary Thanks for Serving our great Country

Default You can't eat antlers

Congrats on getting a moose. Most of us here in Alaska live real lives...not make believe TV lives. After watching the shows on the Outdoor channel, I would say that I should be more impressed with antlers than with the experience of the hunt or the meat.

I guess I am just a slow learner as I would take your place any day of the year and shoot a cow with my bow and be jumping on top of the fence and crowing!!!! Good shooting.

Matt M

Just 2 cents but it would be so much better if Active duty soldiers drew more tags on base then what is reality Retiree's and random civ's

Congrats on the moose. Will be some good eating.

Default Tags should go to Active Duty

C17LM Input (Just 2 cents but it would be so much better if Active duty soldiers drew more tags on base then what is reality Retiree's and random civ's)

I almost decide to ingore this comment but I decided to respond.

First and Foremost. I applaude any and all Military Personnel and their Families for Serving Our Great Country. With out them and those that served before them we would not be the country that enjoys the freedoms and priveleges we have today that other countries do not have and only dream to have.

C17LM I'm not sure where your comment. First of all, this hunt is a drawing hunt. It is a lottery. You also have to meet a certain criteria before you can apply.

I'm sure there a quite of a few Military Hunters that think they should have preference to hunt on Military Land. There are also civilians that probably hate the fact that a Military Person can hunt anywhere in Alaska without being an Alaskan Resident. This kinda of thinking is just as bad as those whom discriminate because of race, color or religion. The State of Alaska makes the laws and until legislation changes them thru input from Alaskan Citizens, the law is the law.

The State Of Alaska puts on this drawing. It is not on a point system like the Tier II hunt. There are people that put in for Drawing/Permit hunts and never get selected. There are some that put in and get it first time. Its pretty disheartning for a long time Alaskan to put in for a Bison tag or any other hunt and never get drawn and for someone to just become a resident, put in for a Bison Tag or other hunt and get drawn the first time. Same goes to a small % for non-residents. It took me 9 years of putting in for hunts before I finally got selected for my 1st permit hunt. I'm not whinning, its a lottery, a luck of the draw. If I don't get drawn, I hunt in open harvest areas. Its a part of life.

The Moose belong to Alaska not to the Military. Moose also travel on and off Military Land The land does belong to the Military but all hunters have to pay 125.00 for access to hunt in which the money goes back to the Ft. Rich Program. Also, the hunter whom pays to hunt can only hunt in areas that are previously selected and not being used for training. The hunter that gets mad because he/she can't hunt in there favorite area because it is always being used for training needs to stop whining because, his/her hunting privileges that they paid for is second fiddle to Military Training.

Do I believe that Active Duty Military need special preference because the hunt is on Military Land. No I do not. I am one of those retiree's that you mentioned and never did I expect special preference for selection while I was on Active Duty. I was just happy for the fact that the State Of Alaska allowed me to hunt without having to wait one year and be a resident. To me that was quite a priveledge in its self. Also, as a retiree, I have the most of the same priveledges as Active Duty because, I served for 20 years and earned those priveledges.

Lastly I want to go Off the Subject and Thank David Battle and his entire staff and the Conservation Officers on Ft. Richardson whom host and organize this hunt. They do a wonderful job which is Second To None.

Mark

Default from active duty

Chico,
    Well done, well earned (the neg temps definatly make it a hard hunt), and well said. Everyone is a critic. I am just happy to hunt and deserve no special exceptions that differ from civilians. You have every right to put in and get lucky enough to draw. On top of all that you are retired military and deserve every ounce of respect and admiration of those who arn't done "doing their time". Although I am sure that if you are how I am that has nothing to do in any way with your hunt. Everyone has an openion and this is mine, Well done and ignore the complainers!
    Respectively
    Hick

STOKED for ya!

Taylor

Thumbs up

congrats!!!!!!!

Congrats on your well earned success. I assisted one year and hunted the next in those lovely temps on ft rich.:d

again well done
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER