Thread: Hot tub

Default Hot tub

Thinking about building a wood fired hot tub from a fish tote. While I have ideas, I was wondering if someone out there has done this. No need to reinvent so wishing to tap this wonderful resource.

Oh Ya, this is an awsome subject "Make It Yourself" for the AOD community.

George

Ideas? What you thinking?

I have a hot tub that I did not get put in before snow. I plan to put a coil off a wood boiler in its filter box when I install it.

Andy

Andy,
    At my summer residence is where I want this to be but probably will build here in the valley for beta test and ease of access for materials.

I have a fish tote, approx 4x4 and planning on installing in/out ports, ont high and one low the connect them to a barrel stove with a coil in the firebox.

After seeing the barrel stove project on this forum I have been thinking it might be better for a smaller fire box to use less food for better heat.

Any ideas for this train of thought?

George

Take a look at this it may be what your looking to do.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Wood...Ocean-Hot-Tub/

OP1

OP1,
    Great info, while I don't like the open fire I did like the exchanger coil up the stack. Thanks for sharing.

George

This post just got me to thinking... You could use that heat exchanger idea to make a water heater for the cabin.

Quote Originally Posted by Wulfslęd View Post
    This post just got me to thinking... You could use that heat exchanger idea to make a water heater for the cabin.
    Yes, I have used copper coil tubing wrapped around the stove pipe just above the stove before. Don't forget to use a safety pop off valve so you don't have a steam explosion in a closed system.

For another idea on the copper tubing heat exchanger. My well water comes from the ground so cold I have been thinking of running it through a insolated box to make a cold box.

Andy

How bout a portable? Got this idia a few years back. Normaly I pull a utility trailer on the hunting trip, after a few days of sleeping on the rocks, the old bones ached a bit...so next trip, had it figured..,used a 3/4" redi rod to go across the back of the trailer to hold the sides in, (close tailgate)cut 4 blocks (big firewood) and put one under each corner of the trailer frame. Use a good old plastic blue tarp and line the trailer bed. Fill with creek water...now the good part.... copper pipe from trailer box to inline 12 volt pump...from pump to coil in fire...from coil back to trailer box...just make sure you got a couple 5 gal jugs of cold water around..it gets warm! Helps to fill the box if ya got a forestry pump! Easy to empty..tarps are cheap....desertdog

Default tub

Made one out of a stock tank and "scuba" stove from the snorkel stove company. Works great although I am tall a deeper tub would be nice. I may cooper a 4' deep tub and upgrade to the bigger snorkel stove. For those that are unaware this type of stove is bolted to the side of the tub and mostly imersed the in the water for heat transfer.

traphunt

Quote Originally Posted by traphunt View Post
    Made one out of a stock tank and "scuba" stove from the snorkel stove company. Works great although I am tall a deeper tub would be nice. I may cooper a 4' deep tub and upgrade to the bigger snorkel stove. For those that are unaware this type of stove is bolted to the side of the tub and mostly imersed the in the water for heat transfer.

traphunt
    The thing I don't like about them is the room they take out of the tub, also if you don't have a gard it can burn you. They do heat the water fast even when cold out.

Andy

Talking Truck bed hot tub

As you can guess, this is made in the bed of your pickup. All you need is a tarp big enough to seal the whole inside of the truck bed, some duct tape to rap around the while trap on the outside of the truck bed to hold the tarp in place. then use a hose from the exaust and put that baby in the water. and lastly, turn the truck on. haha hickish i know. saw this on manswers. what a great show!
    Find Yourself.

haven't seen it but a guy in homer built a fiberglass tub with a tube through the bottom that he runs a weed burner in it and i've heard it works really well

We had something similar back in the boy scouts. We had a 40 gallon galvanized trash can with a 3/4 inch copper tube plumbed into it. The tube ran out from the can about 4 feet, coiled a couple of times, then back to the can about 8 inches higher than the bottom tube. We'd put the lid on the can to keep the ashes out, and rotated the coils into the fire. 20 minutes later we had simmering water for dishes and washing up. I see no reason why coils coudn't be plumbed into a wood stove or if not plumbed in, possibly wrapped around it?

In the Army was also used immersion heaters. This was a burner that ran on unleaded gas and was placed into a water filled metal garbage can. It had a 4 inch smoke stack and provided simmering water in about 30 minutes. I'm sure you could find one online or in surplus stores. I got mine years ago at the Second Chance store in Anchorage for about 40 bucks.

We made one out of a plastic tote using a Paloma propane water heater and a trash pump to circulate the water. It took a long time to heat the water up but worked ok. This was in a mineral exploration camp.

Default snorkel stove

I have not had a problem with being burnt by a snorkel stove. As long as it is totally immersed in water, aluminum is such an efficient heat exchanger that it feels the same temp as water. I like the snorkel stove, if your tub has the room.

Default Snorkel stove....

Anyone have one they would be willing to sell?
    If so, PM me.
    Thanks,
    BK