Thread: Transporting meat

Default Transporting meat

I will be moving out of Alaska next year and want to take all my moose and fish with me. Does any one know of any restrictions on transporting thru Canada? I was thinking of using a generator to keep my freezer cold in the back of my PU. Any other ideas for transporting are appreciated.

Meat i don't know of any ...best to check with canadian and us customs.
    If hauling trophies ( ie hides , skulls, horns or antlers) out there is a form that needs to be completed. I got it at anchorage international airport building, us customs
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

I drove up to Alaska from Wyoming in September of 2007. I brought a chest freezer full of elk, deer, pronghorn, walleye, pheasant, etc. with me and didn't have any problems going through Canada.

I actually did a lot of research beforehand into Canada's food/drug adminstration and contacted a couple of different government entities so I wouldn't have any issues. Long story short, as long it's for personal use (you're not planning to sell it in Canada) and you're just passing through you shouldn't have any problems.

I did go to Wyoming Game & Fish and check with them as well so that there weren't any issues crossing between states with game meat. If I remember correctly I got a pretty informal "you're good to go" and that was that. Seeing that people fly game and fish Outside all the time, I don't foresee you having any problems there.

Nimrod's right on the form for trophies. I brought up some antlers, hides, etc., brought the form filled out and completed, and never got asked about it even though I had deer antlers in plain site (back seat right behind my head) when I crossed the border.

Regardling logistics, I had planned on trying to find an outlet to plug in the freezer every night to keep everything cold. As it turned out, I plugged it in the first night and never bothered again for a week and everything stayed rock-hard frozen. That was in September and it was cool out. So depending on time of year you might not even need the generator.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Default Meat thru canada

Past post are right one! I go salmon/halibut fishing every fall and drive up and back. Going thru Canada is a breeze, if only meat - no forms, no nothing. My meat has always been processed and they always ask & check that part. If you, were bringing back say whole 1/4's or 1/2's you might have a little explaining?
    I, too use a freezer and have never needed a generator, just plug-in at the motel/campsite. One word of advice is take a long/heavy extension cord and drive a tire on it before retiring for the evening. Had one go missing once!

Thank you for the info and the advice!