Thread: Cordova - July 19th ?

Default Cordova - July 19th ?

My parents are coming up this summer and we are trying to prepare an itinerary....

I have searched the archives and cordova is sounding like a good adventure...some of wishes:

1) sightseeing/whales/glaciers etc - on a boat big enough so that seasickness might be minimized (how is weather/waves - LOL

2) Halibut fishing charter 1 day or perhaps salmon fishing, but dad doesn't get around too good anymore so it must be an easy trip physically

3) bed/breakfast/hotel stay for 2 nights - not fancy but with the main amenities view a plus

We are mostly looking for a good sightseeing tour on a reasonable budget with opportunity to catch some fish and learn some about the history of the area -

Any input on the town, fishing, lodging, museums, sights to see etc. would be great.

PS - would the reds be in? and which drainages?

Smile Fishing is Great In July

As you might know - July is the peak of the tourist season. Most all the better charters and tours will already have a lot of bookings. As far as fishing - the peak of the 2nd Kenai King run will be around that time. The red salmon will be running at their peak also on the lower Kenai and might be into the Russian River. The Silver salmon will most likely still be available out of Seward at Pony Cove. If I were you I would schedule a Kenai King Salmon Charter and then fish for red salmon in the Kenai from shore. A charter out of Seward should produce limits for all, if the runs are good. Based on last years regs that would be six salmon each. An then to wrap it up I would schedule a cruise with Phillips cruises out of Whitter for the sights to see. They have a "No Seasick" policy for the guests. Keep in mind you need to get ALL your booking done ASAP - because the dates will fill in fast from now on.

If it were me i'd stick to this side of the sound. If you have to go to cordova i'd take the fast ferry ride over and bring your own vehicle. Quite a few B&B's over there to stay at but in my opinion not that much to see for folks that can't get around(walk or hike) too well. Go and take the "24 glacier cruise" out of whittier on the catamaran, nice day trip. Halibut trips out of Homer or Seward, more choices than cordova and like already mentioned salmon fishing on the kenai or how about some of the valley streams and then maybe a trip on the Denali Hwy for some grayling fishing and great scenery and maybe shoot over for a day in the Park.
    I spend a lot of years in cordova(gillnetting the flats) and the town is ok but you run out of things to do real quick. I tried fishing for reds just out of town but to get to the better spots involved some walking that would be hard for folks that don't get around too well. The museam is tiny and the restaurants for the most part suck. Stay on this side of the sound and do some nice day or overnight trips with the folks. PM me if you need more info about Cordova.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Default thanks

thanks for the input on Cordova. This is not by any means a hard core fishing trip......I have lots of time to fish and fish either the pennisula or parks areas myself every weekend.....

Looking for more of a scenic trip. My parents are driving up from Montana- so they should get lots of views from the road...

Our original thoughts were to train it to seward and stay there...then we thought maybe take the truck on the whittier to valdez fairy - would be lots of sights to see on the way if it were clear, and we could stop and hit the Klutina on the way back.

A whale and glacier trip is high on my mother's list, and dad would like to fish a day on a boat......mom gets seasick - so she won't be going on a fishing boat.

I need to do some research, but from the map - it looks like cordova is a little closer to hit the fishing grounds from than valdez....

anyway - thanks for the input.

Although CDV sees a few reds in June....it's a pretty small run.

Much of the area's stream fishing (Silvers / Dollies) won't heat up until mid-Aug...and runs through the end of Sept.

During mid-late July, you should be able to tie into a lot of chums and a few early silvers. Otherwise, it's mostly bottom fishing!

Default changing

you are changing my mind - but how is the bottom fishing? Do the charters go straight out or are the flats too shallow so they go around? They probably fish the shelf same as the better boats out of valdez....?

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    you are changing my mind - but how is the bottom fishing? Do the charters go straight out or are the flats too shallow so they go around? They probably fish the shelf same as the better boats out of valdez....?

Bullelkklr, I just sent you a PM....

Default Cordova

Potbuilder is right, after you spend a day driving out to the bridge/glacier and coming back to town, and then you will have a hard time finding anything to entertain your family. Nice town, but not for tourists. And a good place to eat is hard to find. If you are set on going, PM me and I will tell you a couple of things to stay away from.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    If your asking about the charter in cordova i believe he fishes in the sound for halibut, i have NEVER seen a charter boat out on the flats or fishing out where we gillnetted in the gulf. I have seen folks fishing in Strawberry channel but never out in the ocean from there. If you do get out there one look at the breakers and sandbars and you'll know why they don't fish or run through there much. I don't have many pictures from fishing on the flats because a guy has to pay a lot of attention to what he's doing running a boat when crossing those bars. I'm never going back there to gillnet again.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

You can fish in the Gulf out of Cordova but I do not know of any charters that do. Not really sure how many charters there are in Cordova as I have never seen one when I am out fishing.

I spend a lot of time in Cordova during the summer and there is a serious lack charter boats. There is the Orca Bay Lodge and one other guy that has his own charter boat. Fishing for halibut is pretty good in the eastern part of the sound. While it is an interesting place to see with lots of trails to hike around and an epic silver run in the later summer/early fall, there isn't a whole lot to do in that town. For the most part, it is a place to let the commercial fishermen dock their boats and process the catch.
    I think that if the fish isn't on a long line or in a gillnet, the fish is usually pretty safe from the locals.

Default I must be Abby Normal

I brought my brother up 6 summers ago 4th of July Weekend with his family and mine and we had a wonderful time in Cordova, found ample fishing in most areas and although the road systems is limited for a 3-4 day adventure in July I can honestly it was well worth the trip.

Like Pot Builder states take the ferry to and from which again IMO is well worth the trip saw lots of just about everything whales, otters, eagles etc......

Eyak offers Red Fishing access just below the bridge, Alagnak Slough same thing as well as a couple fo smaller creeks and sloughs out and about towards the Copper.

The ODD breaks down some of the fishing visit this link I think you might be suprised what is states verses some of the informaiton posted. Not trying to start a fight honest just giving a different view.

http://www.outdoorsdirectory.com/are...al/cordova.htm

Between you me and the fence post if a small visit is your main reason to learn and see the sights and some history it is a nice town, with more than ample views "That is if the sun happens to be out" of river, lake and mountains. Make fihsing your side bar, go to the Bridge, watch the Miles & Childs Glacier break up and hit the river and I am sure you will enjoy the trip. I know we did and plan on going back again and again.

Visit this link decent business on the river with rental boats etc..... I have had peole stay there before nothing but good comments.

http://www.bearsdencabins.com/

Bets of luck in your choices! Take the pass less traveled find your own excitement and try something new.

:-)

Default thanks

Thanks for the input moose -

I think that the wife and I will have to sneak out to cordova for a long weekend sometime...for the parents though I think that we will fairy to Valdez from Whittier...mom and wife can look around town while dad and I chase some butts and ling.......