Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: railroad hunting....

Default railroad hunting....

Has anyone ever done the whistlestop options on the railroad between talkeetna and hurricane?? 55 miles where you can hop on or off anywhere....?? hike out a bit, look for some bear maybe?? short backpack hunt??

Or the new grandview whistlestop service between portage and seward????

just a thought???

Greg

Smile

sounds like a plan that would almost guarantee results. all the best.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by AkGreg View Post
    Has anyone ever done the whistlestop options on the railroad between talkeetna and hurricane?? 55 miles where you can hop on or off anywhere....?? hike out a bit, look for some bear maybe?? short backpack hunt??.....
    I spent a lot of time in the Susitna drainage north of Talkeetna some 30 years ago. The black bear hunting would be outstanding.

You might be surprised at how much private property there is in that area, especially south of Curry.

.....Or the new grandview whistlestop service between portage and seward????
    A friend is looking at utilizing that shuttle to ferry a one-man cataraft to the upper Trail River in order to float it down to Moose Pass.

Default railroad

I've heard the railroad will not allow firearms, might need to check that first.

Quote Originally Posted by 4whlr View Post
    I've heard the railroad will not allow firearms, might need to check that first.
    Firearms are allowed. Must have a locking device on firearm

I've thought about it as a means to get into a packrafting hunt. Get dropped by the train, climb a few ridges, float out. Sounds fun!

Default IT's doable

I work with a few guys that do their moose/bear hunting up in that area. They say all you have to do is call the rail road in Anchorage and tell them where you'd like to be dropped off and they will give you the pickup point, price, and time to be there. They will have your ticket ready upon arrival and they have never been late getting in to their hunt.
    These guys usually take 8-9 guys in two groups and they usually kill one or two critters per group in their 7-10 days out.

Quote Originally Posted by akspecialus View Post
    Firearms are allowed. Must have a locking device on firearm
    Anyone have any idea about bringing a Bow? Is there any restrictions?

I got on and went up to Gold Creek with a bow strapped to my backpack. Wasn't questioned one bit. For that matter I've carried an unloaded rifle onto the bud car and wasn't questioned either.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    I got on and went up to Gold Creek with a bow strapped to my backpack. Wasn't questioned one bit. For that matter I've carried an unloaded rifle onto the bud car and wasn't questioned either.
    That was the old days, They are really sticklers about firearm locks these now.

Quote Originally Posted by B-radford View Post
    Anyone have any idea about bringing a Bow? Is there any restrictions?
    As long as the broadheads do not protrude, NP

Default The meat etc?

This is a interesting topic. So you mean to say the train company will transport a hunting camps worth of gear, drop you off, pick you up at a later date, and haul your moose and gear home for you? That seems hard to believe?

I've got a buddy who has property on the tracks, and I know alot of others do as well. Make sure you aren't trespassing on your route away from the tracks.

I used to talk about trying that, but like so many great ideas, never did it.

Best of luck if you put it together!
    "...just because we didn't agree with you doesn't mean we didn't have good discussion. It just means you missed it." -JMG-

Quote Originally Posted by jpost View Post
    This is a interesting topic. So you mean to say the train company will transport a hunting camps worth of gear, drop you off, pick you up at a later date, and haul your moose and gear home for you? That seems hard to believe?
    Back to the station yes, home no. And you have to shoot and clean it.

Default baggage restrictions

what are their baggage restrictions? Probably best to call the train station......

Best way to haul in lots of gear is take the flag stop the day before the tundra. Put your gear on the tundra. You can take alot of gear on the flag stop but on busy weekends there can be a problem with room. You can't haul fuel on the flag stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I've thought about it as a means to get into a packrafting hunt. Get dropped by the train, climb a few ridges, float out. Sounds fun!
    My one big gear expense that I have planned for this year is a Fjord explorer. It is the potential for trips like this one that are driving the purchase!

Best way to haul in lots of gear is take the flag stop the day before the tundra.
    That's IF the tundra truck is running that week, and IF they decide they can even take your stuff.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    That's IF the tundra truck is running that week, and IF they decide they can even take your stuff.

always a big IF but a change is comming, stay tuned

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast