Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anchorage area, tanning hides

Default Anchorage area, tanning hides

Hello, I was wodering about getting hides tanned. I was wondering about places that can do the work. And if you know, a general pricing schedule. Mainly wondering about bear hides

Did a search but maybe I didn't search correctly, any info would be appreciated

Alpha Fur Dressers,

http://www.alphafur.com/

The last bear I had done was about 50.00 per foot.

They have done a bear and a wolf for me was happy with both.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Default ditto

had alpha do a wolf for me and was very happy with the work and the cost.

Greg

Default Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by youngtrout View Post
    Hello, I was wodering about getting hides tanned. I was wondering about places that can do the work. And if you know, a general pricing schedule. Mainly wondering about bear hides

Did a search but maybe I didn't search correctly, any info would be appreciated
    #3 plug for Alpha

I will give them a call. And just wondering, the fifty per foot, that's for a rug?? I just need it machine fleshed and tanned

i've had alpha ruin two lifesize hides for me, a lifesize dall and a lifesize brown bear, if you get work to them when they are not busy, it don't get thrown on the bottom of the pile in the door way.
    50 bucks is usually the length from nose to tail after its been salted, just for the tanning, so a six foot black bear will cost about 300 bucks to have tanned.
    Trophy Tanning and Taxidermy out in palmer does a great job, over a dozen hides thru his place and no problems yet.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Man, I guess I have not had anything tanned in awhile, what does a rugged out bear cost nowadays? Also, is the price for say a caribou the same? Or are just bears different? Just seems a bit steep. I'll do more research. But if that's the going rate

Default 2nd for Trophy

Take a ride out to the valley and see Tim Vandertoorn at Trophy Taxidermy as BRWNBR mentioned. Excellent work and a great guy to deal with.
    BK

Default Alpha Furs

I have had a bear, three caribou, and a moose hide tanned by Alpha.

The bear hide came out OK. The caribou hides had about 15 holes each in them. The moose hide was top notch quality.

I will check out the Palmer connection this spring.

Thanks for the info guys.

The 5ft blackie cost $300.00 to have tanned.
    The three caribou capes were $100.00 a piece to have tanned
    The full moose hide was $300.00 to have tanned.

The average rug prices from a taxidermist runs about $200.00 a foot for blackies and $250.00 a foot for browns. These prices include the tanning and mounting.

I had a Brn Bear rugged and the skull cleaned and it was $2300.00. Haven't gotten it back yet but I'm sure it will be great.

I tried to get Alpha to tan a coyote hide for me but they wanted an entire winters trapline catch along with the coyote before they would work with me.

Default africa stuff

was tanned at alpha. A few of the hides were pretty chopped up. My zebra had some big holes in it. A gemsbok hide was pretty much torn in half. Not sure if I would take stuff back to them.

Default Alpha

they ruined an ear on my 6' black bear I had rugged out. Rug turned out great other than that.....

Will probably use them again, if they screw that up too, I'm done.

I've used Alpha Fur Dressers for better then five years now. I've never had a problem. The key is get your fur to him in the best shape as possible and be patient; I've had goats turned around in six weeks, and brown bears in as little as two months. Then, I've had fur take six months which is about industry par. I appreciate that his fleshing, lip and ear prep crew is good--really good actually. Sure you get an occasional hole from a fleshing machine but overall the prices, turnaround and quailty is good. I've had approx 40 skins through there and no disappointments.

I hate to go out of state, but try foxandfurs. If you are looking for just getting a good tanning job. They have done numerous hides for me and I have never had a problem, They even sewed up some small holes on a marten for no charge. The only problems I have had with them is some times it takes six months but i belive you can pay a little extra to have it rushed, and if i remember right they are in minnisota.

Quote Originally Posted by mallardman View Post
    I hate to go out of state, but try foxandfurs.
    I'm glad you had better luck than me. Last year, USA Foxx and Furs shredded my entire box of furs save one marten.

I use Alpha Fur for all of my big game tanning. I have been pleased with the results and the fast turn around time. I have tried other repitable tanneries in the lower 48 and even they will screw up a hide at times. No one tannery is perfect and they will all make mistakes, guaranteed! Gary at Alpha Fur is very professional and I would recommend them to anyone. I send alot of fur down there and always a top notch job.

Default No kiding?

Quote Originally Posted by n0g0d View Post
    I'm glad you had better luck than me. Last year, USA Foxx and Furs shredded my entire box of furs save one marten.
    They did the same thing to mine.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

www.arcticconcealment.com

Default fleshing?

I was just wonding if you guys that had problems with foxx and furs did your own fleshing or had them do it. I do all my own prep work and was wondering if maybe thier fleshing machine is the problem.

Default Tanning

I have good luck with Alpha but my hides were fleshed, salted and ready to be tanned. I wouldnt bring a green hide to any tannery. I think the fleshing and such should all be done before it goes to a tannery. Just my opinion.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast