Thread: water????

S.E. AK (soon to be Fairbanks)

Default water????

on my backpacking or mountaineering trips we would obviously melt ice or snow for water for our outings but if a guy were to live in a remote area with access to a lake and a stream close to their property how would one store or acquire water for their daily needs in the dead of winter. In the interior areas of Alaska it is in the -50 degrees somtimes colder for long periods. Does one just constantly melt and store water from ice or snow. I am probably missing the obvious but just was wondering what folks do in the coldest of winters for their water source or do you just stock up on beer and not shower during the winter seasons....

We lived our first few winters in Talkeetna without water or power. Since we were on the road system we hauled our drinking water from town. For dishes and baths my mom had two HUGE aluminum pots that my brother and I were required to keep full on top of the wood stove. It took an amazing amount of snow to keep them full, which we did with 5 gallon buckets. If you went to the outhouse or woodshed you took that 5 gallon bucket and brought it back full of snow. That water on the wood stove served another purpose other than dish water and bath water. It provided humidity to our house, which it desperately needed in the winter.

My brother and I soon tired of the whole snow thing and chopped a hole in the lake below our house. We hauled water from that with our Elan snowmobile and it was much quicker. Still heated it on the woodstove though.

When we got a well we still kept a pot of water on the wood stove all winter to keep the humidity in the house tolerable.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Default Ice, Snow, and Water

Lots of places have open running water all year long. I stayed in a cabin in the Brooks Range that had a little creek running by. There was open water almost always in one spot. In the coldest times a few whacks with a hatchet would open it up.

Other people cut a hole in the river or lake and when they leave the hole is covered with a piece of plywood or cardboard and insulated with snow. A few shovels and remove the board and you are on your way.

You can also melt snow or ice as well. When I was a kid they would wait until the lake ice was one foot thick and then cut it into one foot cubes. It stacked nicely on the sled and on the back porch. We had all the water for the winter on our back porch. A 50 gallon drum was just inside the door with a block of ice always thawing out on top the water. A dipper hung over the edge of the barrel.
    Wasilla Real Estate News