Thread: cat as a hunting dog

Default cat as a hunting dog

Frozen Oke and I shot a Hare a few weeks a go and I saved the foot as a lucky rabbits foot. the cat chose it as a toy. made me think how would a cat be for hunting. the snow is to deep for a dog and a cat is light enough to walk on top. cats like to sneak up on birds. This is of course tongue and cheek I don't think cats are good for anything but teaching kids to clean up a Kitty litter box

got a buddy who has taken lots of cats hunting....

Hey this is really a nice pic where you get this or its just photography by you

Scuba Diving

We had a barn cat that brought a pheasant to the house. Since the larder was a little light on meat, and the bird was a fresh kill and in good shape Dad relieved the cat of its burden and we had pheasant for supper. The cat was so mad that it quit bringing it kills to the house.
    Justin

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

i have heard that pixie bobs are pretty smart and loyal. act more like a dog than a cat. wonder if you could train one to round up bunnies?

Default i bet...

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    got a buddy who has taken lots of cats hunting....
    I bet most of them got lost during the expedition. LMAO

I had a cat that would go squirrel hunting with me back when I lived in the lower 48. Thing would go right into the nest and chase them out.

Also would chase them into the ground holes or into the trees, if he'd fit. Just had to be sure not to shoot the cat with the 22.

We picked up our cat down in my grandparents barn down in Wyoming when it was a kitten becuase it helped up locate a skunk in the barn one night which we disposed of. Alll the other kittens ran out but ours went in and looked in the stalls in and then began hissing when it located it. Bang dead skunk, and cat caught a free ride back up here on the airplane. Also is that a moose in the background of your photo.

Default cats

When I was a kid, I would go rabbit hunting and had several cats at different times that would follow. Most of the time the cat would catch a rabbit before I would see one. Cats are very, very good hunters.

Default Cat as a hunting dog

Ok. Now I'm laughing hysterically.
    Cats.....seriously? Is that a poor mans hunting dog?
    Ok. I'm sorry that wasn't right.
    Let me see if AKC will let me run one in the next field trial.
    Oh wait. I'm sorry. That wasn't right either.
    Lord forgive me and help me to recognize cats as being viable hunting dogs.
    My kennel name will be "Wetland Felines".
    OK I GOTTA STOP !!!!!! I'm starting to fall out of my chair.

Default The moose and the cat

Yep thats Bull Winkle. My wife took the photo wile I was at hidden lake ice fishing.

I can see a cat stalking a covey Ptarmigans, but can you imagine trying to train a cat for commands.

Now what would be funny would be a shock collar on a cat. The thing would still not fallow directions and the best part would be you could crank the collar up and make the thing jump uncontrollably

This makes me think of a great story of my wife's cat. We were still dating at the time and she lived with her parents on Hiland road in Eagle River. They had this cat, this huge male tabby that was easily 16-17lbs, named Peaches. This cat was a magnificent hunter, (probably trying to overcompensate for being named Peaches ) It would kill magpies, grouse, rabbits, and all manner of rodent.

I remember one time in the summer my wife and I were walking up to her house and the cat is sitting on the railing sunning and cleaning itself. I walk up to it to pet it when I see the fur around it's mouth has a little blood around it. As soon as I see this I hear my girlfriend scream and the cat takes off like a bat out of hell. I look to her and she is looking at their porch swing covering her mouth with her hands. I take a step towards her and I see why she screamed, there sitting on the swing seat are the back legs and half the chewed up spine of a snowshoe hare, nothing else. These were BIG back legs too, I've shot lots of snowshoes before and these were some of the biggest I had ever seen.

That cat was truly an impressive specimen of a hunter. The funniest thing was that inside the house, the cat was the biggest baby pushover lap floozy you'd ever meet. Her parents moved and left the cat with new owners, as that is where it had spent it's whole life. It was 16 when they left and still going strong, always leaving the family little presents on their porch. That was quite a few years ago, but I'd wouldn't surprise me if the cat is still alive doing it's thing.

Default Not a cat, but........

O.K. we are a Boxer loving family, but when I was younger a neighbor said that they knew of a poodle being abused. My stepmother said we'd take care of the full sized poodle, much to the dismay of my father and I. One of the owners ( the husband) said the dog would chase rabbits and point birds. We said no way ( except not in as nice of words). We had never heard of a dog doing both much less a poodle (after a little research we found out they were a hunting breed). The third weekend or so that we had her we figured we'd give it a shot. That poodle came home with huge clumps of snow stuck to her and never looked happier than when we took her out. To this day I would never get a poodle again, but something energized that special one when we were out. She never quit bounding through the snow. If she took off we knew it was a rabbit and when she stopped and stared we knew we had a bird. It was insane a curly haired, mop colored dog sticking with us at +25 to -25 pointing and chasing. She was a little older so we only had her for a few years. During those years we heard many comments of having a wuss dog and such from friends. We told them what she did and only the ones that went with us ever got to see such a site. Many of great weekends with that dog, and still a topic of conversation when my father and I get together with friends and talk hunting. We also had a Doberman that chased rabbits in Texas (we just took him so he could get out, never intended for him to chase rabbits), problem was he got on them so quick we never got a shot. He'd snatch them up turn and look at us and then drop them so they could run off. He never chased them a second time. He'd wait for a new one. Now I don't put anything past any animal. My mother has a Boxer and a Jack Russell that collect pecans for her in Texas. They eat one or two (actually shell them and just eat the insides) and pile the rest in the floor for her. She got tired of shells in the floor and traded treats for pecans and now she has a problem. When the Jack Russell wants a treat he will go and stand / dig in the yard for pecans. Problem is pecans don't drop all year. She keeps a bag handy in the off season and tosses one in the yard when he gets persistent and won't come in until he gets one. Once she tosses it out there and he finds it he comes in like he won a battle and drops it waiting for his reward. She messed up and spoiled them that way. Sorry if I jacked your thread but, I figured a couple crazy critter stories would fit in here.

I don't know how well they would work for hunting but I hear they are great for halibut fishing

The problem with a cat is that it doesn't like to give back what it kills. Like trying to take a gazzel leg from a lion!!! good luck there!

Lil Dave,
    Your cat looks like a lynx!!!!! Make sure he wears hunter orange! If i could photoshop i woud have made him a nice vest.

Default Rabbit hunting with cats.

Too confusing for me....I wouldnt know which one to shoot!!!! .... inner voice..bad.