Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's Your Favorite Wildcat?

Default What's Your Favorite Wildcat?

What's your favorite wildcat and why? What experiences have you had with it? How did you form the brass? What performance are you getting? And if you dont have a wildcat, what would you go with if you were to make one?

I've been thinking a 7mm - 338 Lapua would be pretty cool. It would probably perform fairlyly close to a 7mm Dakota or STW, might even edge them out in velocity and there would be great brass availble with it. It would be one flat shootin round

I once had a 22 Cheeta that was a dandy fox and coyote round. There are several versions of the cheeta and mine was no more than a 243 necked down to 22 caliber.

It would zing almost anything a couple hundred feet faster than a 220 swift. The thing I remember most is that many of the thin skin varmint bullets wouldn't make it to the target. You could see a puff of smoke 30 feet downrange as those little bugars heated up and went off in mid air. I shot mostly Sierra BTHP's in mine and killed a lot of stuff with it. However as I knew it would the barrel finally cried uncle.

Default Wildcat

I had a 17 Javelina and a 20 Javelina. Both being built on 221 Fireball cases necked down without any other mods, Both were extremely well behaved and accurate, witout being destructive to barrel throats. This was one of P. O. Ackleys favorite calibers, he actually killed a black bear with a 17 Javelina.
    I've got a 416 Taylor, not exactly a wildcat anymore. There is also a 45-90 MKl Enfield in the hall safe, not a wildcat per se but an odd ball none the less.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
    What's your favorite wildcat and why? What experiences have you had with it? How did you form the brass? What performance are you getting? And if you dont have a wildcat, what would you go with if you were to make one?

I've been thinking a 7mm - 338 Lapua would be pretty cool. It would probably perform fairlyly close to a 7mm Dakota or STW, might even edge them out in velocity and there would be great brass availble with it. It would be one flat shootin round
    That's easy. 450 Alaskan.

#2 is my 44 Kodiak, basically a 45-70 blown out and necked down to .429 for a kind of "super" 444.

Default .224 Clark

Traded it for an old, old S&W top break. It had a massive Hart stainless barrel on a Rem 700 action and some kind of fiberglas stock. It shot 82 and 85 grain .224 bullets, custom produced by Hornady for Clark the designer in Mariposa, CA. Shot tiny little holes way out there.

Default .224 Clark

Just checked my records, it was Madera, CA and 80 and 85 grainers.

My 350 Griffin & Howe. Its custom made on a Whitworth action, 26" barrel, and a laminate stock. It has taken moose and mountain goat so far.

Default 358 Nukalpiaq

Never shot or hunted with a rifle built around a wildcat cartridge before, but I am really looking forward to the new 358 Nukalpiaq.

Once owned a Rem 700 originally chambered in 7mm mag. I had the smith rechamber it to 7mm/300 Wby.
    If I sighted it in 3 inches high at 100 yards with 160's I could shoot a 3 shot group at 100, move the target to 200 and shoot another group, and then move it back to 300 and do the same. All 9 shots would fit into a 5 inch circle.
    But I since came to the realization wildcats simply are a pita. But I still repect others rights to build em. They make for some interesting discussions but 99% of the time there is a factory round that will duplicate them.
    Tennessee

I fell for the ".300 Winchester's neck is to short" opinion back in the mid 80's so had my S&W alterd to Fred Huntington's long neck version. Looks like a long .308 Norma. It involves shortening the .300 H&H casing neck a bit and fireforming. As Snowwolfe says,it's a PITA,but since I've got a BUNCH of casing already done plus 100pcs of new .300 H&H casings I'll keep at it.

Talking 8mm-338 mag

I had a 8mm-338 mag built on a 98 Mauser action with 24" Douglas barrel by Huntington. I neck 338 brass down so it's pretty simple with RCBS custom dies. I have 1/32 freebore when 200 gr bullet is seated to the juncture of the neck/shoulder. It's the most accurate rifle I have as it will shoot 3/8-1/2" groups with 11/8" the largest I've ever shot. I put on a classic Garrett glass stock so recoil is straight back and not up. I've taken everything from antelope, deer, elk, black & grizzly bear, moose, caribou, muskox, bison and dangerous ground squirrels (the last thing I want is a wounded ground squirrel on the loose). It wears a Vari-III, 2X8 Leupold and shoot a 180gr Barnes close to 3250fps and a 200 gr a little over 3100. The shoulder is a little sharper than the standard 338, but not as much as Ackley.
    If you like getting kicked by a mule...then you'll "love" shooting my .458.

My favorites were the 35 Whelen and 338-06. I haven't come up with a new one yet.

Default .338-06

Well...........it was a wildcat when I had it made.

I am going to have to go with .338-06 since that is the only one I have ever owned. It was a mod 700 action, McGowan barrel, composite stock, and topped off with a Leupold 1.5x5. Shot great with anything we loaded for it and mild recoil but I was young and dumb and let it go before I got to try it out on any animals. One of those things I still regret must be why I keep just about every gun I buy or trade for now.

my .30-30ai and the .30-338, Murphy is the leader here in our forums with surely numerous WC's. Okay Murph, you can come out

Default Favorite?

6.5-06 or 338-06......

The only one I have is a 22k Hornet, and although it is fun to play with, I'm not real sure of the point. It is a better round than the parent case, but a down loaded 223 will do as well. Any more, I'm not sure there is a point to a lot of the wild cats that are out there now. There is a factory cartridge that will match almost any wild cat for performance. There may be a few exceptions, such as a rimmed case for a certain action or a rebated case to use an action without opening bolt face. But, for any given caliber and bullet weight/velocity there is probably a factory load that already gets there. But, I don't see much purpose other than because it's fun to have something everyone else doesn't. Come to think of it, thats good enough reason.

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    The only one I have is a 22k Hornet, and although it is fun to play with, I'm not real sure of the point. It is a better round than the parent case, but a down loaded 223 will do as well. Any more, I'm not sure there is a point to a lot of the wild cats that are out there now. There is a factory cartridge that will match almost any wild cat for performance. There may be a few exceptions, such as a rimmed case for a certain action or a rebated case to use an action without opening bolt face. But, for any given caliber and bullet weight/velocity there is probably a factory load that already gets there. But, I don't see much purpose other than because it's fun to have something everyone else doesn't. Come to think of it, thats good enough reason.
    I agree that you can come pretty close to most with factory rounds, but for me that's not really the point. I get a kick out of having something different, and I'm willing to pay for the privelege.

Here's another kind of "wildcat" that I get a real kick out of: Old, obsolete calibers. Many of those had no real reason to die, yet they were replaced by "better" modern calibers. Loading for them now is just about the same kick (and hassle) as loading for wildcats. You likely have to form your own cases and buy custom bullets or cast your own. You have to dump a bunch of extra money to have the opportunity to shoot them, whether buying original arms or rebarreling. Every time I hear that wildcats aren't justified, I think hmmmppph. Neither is the 300 WSM and its kin. For that matter, with the 375 H&H around for most of a century, do we really need the 338? Same process, same hassles, and same expense when you get into the really obsolete rounds.

Often it's some detail of the arm that justifies the wildcat, rather than the ballistics themselves. I surely don't NEED a 450 Alaskan when I've already got a 458 Winnie, and 45-70 hotrodders can do a lot better with a 458 using factory ammo right off the shelf. But if you grant me that hot loaded 45-70's are "wildcats" for the most part, they're not justified. I've started thinking that I really NEED another 33 Winchester. I figure if I rebarrel a contemporary 1886 or 71 for it, I can push the pressures up like they do the 45-70, and maybe, just maybe, after spending thousands of dollars come up with a round that will give the 338 Federal a run for its money. Lots more interesting than simply loading down a 338 Winnie or even one of my 375's.

For me it's the journey more than the destination.

Default .375/.348 Ackley Improved

I started with a '71 , had it rebarreled to .375 , annealed .348 cases and blew the shoulder and started loading with no info . Called Ken Waters and he got involved and helped with other projects . The .375/.348 AI produced velocity right up to a H&H . Had to rig up a special hanger for the magazine tube . Also blew out a .460 Weatherby to .475 caliber which could give you tough headaches .

Default Mine

.35 Whelen, 'legitimized' awhile back, but when I started loading for it, had to neck cases up or fireform them...still using a lot of those original altered .30-06 cases in my present rifles.
    Second up is a .22-250 Ackley Improved. 4200 fps with 40 gr. Noslers out of my rifle using Nosler data.
    I've got a 'spare' M1 carbine that I'm thinking of going to the 5.7 Johnson in. I know, it's not a 'wildcat', as factory loads and brass are available, but with a small mountain of carbine brass, I doubt I'll buy any of the pre-formed stuff at inflated prices........or just decide to leave it alone and get better performance from my Mini-14.

Problem with a lot of wildcats is that very few of 'em actually improve on performance of 'standard' cartridges with good load development. They ARE fun to play with, though!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast