Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PWS out of Whittier

Question PWS out of Whittier

What's the opinion of North PWS anchorages? I have only been predominately South out of Whitter (Cochran, Culrose, Nelly Juan). The Southern passages and coves appear to offer more protection than those on the North shore. Any North side experiences?

Thanks.
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

Default PWS Anchorages

There are lots of good anchorages in the north part of PWS. A comprehensive listing and explaination of Anchorages all over the Sound can be found in "A cruising Guide to Prince William Sound". At about $40, it seems a little expensive but it is worth every penny.

Here is a link where you can order it from. I bought a copy myself over at Tidal Wave Books on Northern Lights.

http://www.alaska.net/~awss/CruisingGuides.html

I seem to head out into the Knight Island area.

But having leafed through the PWS cruising guide, it's clear there are plenty of great anchorages in the Northern sound. I've wanted to run through Ester passage, but just haven't gotten around to making that trip yet.

Default where are the seals out of whittier?

ive only seen one in shotgun cove while we were waiting for the fog to lift. couldnt shoot cuz there were 6 other boats in that cove also waiting out the fog. i usually get them out of homer because that is a sure thing. any ideas would be appreciated.

I too tend to overlook northern PWS. I have been exploring out of Valdez and on the south western side out of Whittier. I have been looking over the topos and keep finding more areas to check out.

Quote Originally Posted by arcticfox77 View Post
    ive only seen one in shotgun cove while we were waiting for the fog to lift. couldnt shoot cuz there were 6 other boats in that cove also waiting out the fog. i usually get them out of homer because that is a sure thing. any ideas would be appreciated.
    Boy you just have to hit any bay that has streams coming in to it to find seals. Or you could follow me the next time out they sure like to tease me and I would love to see one harvested and get a good up close look at one.

unakwik has very good anchorages ( alot of ice bergs at times in upper end) and in eaglet bay , rock in center of entrance is on charts, is cascade bay ( largest waterfall in sound) caution uncharted reef on left as you go in almost to where it starts to widen, comes out quite a ways....i found it once no damage
    it is listed in the cruising guide. lots of other good places to the north.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

I forgot to mention we did take a day trip to hummer bay a few years back. A neat area to explore relatively close to Whittier and a well protected anchorage.

Last year we spent 3 days in Eaglek Bay and didn’t see a boat for 2 days. It offers great anchorage at the head of the bay and in Derickson and Schoppe Bays; at the head is one of the most spectacular waterfalls in the sound. Didn’t have much success fishing but the shrimping was ok with not that great of numbers but large size. If you like exploring this is great area to go ashore and stretch your legs; we’ll be returning this year for sure.
    Next year we’re definitely going to explore up Unakwik Inlet and adjacent Cedar & Granite Bays, these appear to offer great anchorage and exploring potential.

As mentioned, A Cruising Guide to Prince William Sound by Jim and Nancy Lethcoe, the holly Grail of PWS; this book is worth its weight in gold and definitely one you want to keep on the boat.

Here’s a link that allows you to move amongst all NOAA chart seamlessly, but with a few quarks.

http://demo.geogarage.com/noaa/
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

I did make a run out to Granite bay a couple of years ago when I first got my boat. Spectacular scenery just wish the rain had let up so we could have enjoyed it more.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Eaglet Bay waterfall. Great place to swing on the hook. I too agree that A Cruising Guide to Prince William Sound by Jim and Nancy Lethcoe is a must for PWS.

Be safe
    Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Talking

Doug, We got to quite messing around and go explore more area! We'll tow one boat with the other and when it runs completely out of gas we'll hop on the other one and keep going!
    Seriouly, we need to try and make a point out of NOT returning to any of our "already-been-there-places" and seek new spots this summer. (Except for the shrimpin' spot)

Thumbs up Awsome Scene

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Eaglet Bay waterfall. Great place to swing on the hook. I too agree that A Cruising Guide to Prince William Sound by Jim and Nancy Lethcoe is a must for PWS.

Be safe
    Steve
    That waterfall will be one of my target destinations this summer. Thanks for sharing. Any other photos?
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

Great country and fantastic scenery wherever you go in the sound. I have explored a lot of the north country and found so many great places I can't remember the names of all of them. Never had a problem finding a good anchorage tucked in somewhere.

Default Are you guys for real???

No way those pictures are real! Gotta be photoshop'd!!! Never been out there, I thought Fox island near Seward and the bay was spectacular! Seems like coming back from those places would be a problem (as in not wanting to come back!).
    Outstandingly (is that a word?) beautiful!
    Jim

How is the fishing on the North end? Seems most guys I talk to head towards the gulf for fishing out of Whittier.

Esther Island is my absolute favorite spot, I almost always go there unless I'm going for Halibut, its right outside the mouth of passage canal and makes for a short run.

With just a few exceptions, I've always limited out - with silvers I've usually could have limited out inside a half hour of arriving at one of my holes.

Esther passage is beautiful, and shoestring cove is one of the most productive fishing I've ever seen, its really big too; about 2 miles long by quarter mile wide and makes for a good spot to get out of the weather/wind and go camping.

That one picture look slike Bettles Bay...
    I agree Eshter passage is awsome.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post
    I agree Eshter passage is awsome.
    Except for the BIG rock on the north side..................

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by AKBassking View Post
    Except for the BIG rock on the north side..................
    That rock is bad news. I haven't heard of anyone hitting it.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast