Thread: Land. Watcha Think???

Default Land. Watcha Think???

This is one of the pieces of land I'm looking at. It's accessible by float plane inthe summer or snowmachine in the winter. I'm wanting a primitive summer camping spot where I can get away from people. . It's about a 1/2 hr. flight out of Wasilla. What would a fella do for H20 on a remote spot such as this? I don't think I would want to trust the lake. Would a guy want to put in a H20 (rain) storage tank. I'll either build a small cabin or just settle for a wall tent. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Steve.

Looks like a nice piece of land, you might try one of those hydro drill's or something like it, or a sand point.

Default Filtration system

Well depending on what you plan to ultimately do with this property (ie permanent residence, summer retreat) I would look at investing in a filtration system. You could have shower water run just through a basic filter then anything you plan on drinking run through one of those newer UV light units. Just a thought though. As for the sand point I know of several people that have tried them in the Su Valley and they have had mixed results. The sistern idea may work good especially considering the summer we had last year. Good luck and it looks like a decent spot.

You could have the water tested but I think I would just use it.

Default Lake

You could fly some in with you, couple 5 gal collapsible jugs.

BTW, I've been there, I sent you a PM.

Nice property. For float planes, are you talking super cub, or a 185? It will make a big difference in what it costs to transport stuff.

Thanks for your input guys. Feel free to share any of your ideas. I could use the info. Steve.

Talking Property...

I think if I had your money, I would put all the bldg materials in 2 -20' containers.Get a sky crane to haul them in, and build on top of them.Would make a great building, 16x20, and pull down stairs inside.Put some matching siding on the containers.But I don't have your money.

Default Service

I got in and out of there with Trail Ridge in a Beaver, they will be able to answer some questions as to how much use the other cabins are getting these days.

Thumbs up Looks good Steve

Looks like a slice of Alaska Heaven to me.I have a cabin on a lake off of the Deshka..same situation as you,summer floatplane,winter snowmachine.
    I opted for the lazy way & had Friesens Cabins put my 16x20 place up.Cost some $ but now I can enjoy it & do all the finish work myself.I left
    4 seven gallon containers of drinking water about 3/4 full for freezing room
    & when I flew out next summer I had some water to start with.If the lake is big enough to land a Beaver on you can haul plenty of water on your first trip out.I got a Katadyn water filter but haven't tried it yet,they are supposed to be good for Giardia & other micro-critters,good to have for back up.Good Luck!!
    Buzzy

Quote Originally Posted by buzzy99688 View Post
    Looks like a slice of Alaska Heaven to me.I have a cabin on a lake off of the Deshka..same situation as you,summer floatplane,winter snowmachine.
    I opted for the lazy way & had Friesens Cabins put my 16x20 place up.Cost some $ but now I can enjoy it & do all the finish work myself.I left
    4 seven gallon containers of drinking water about 3/4 full for freezing room
    & when I flew out next summer I had some water to start with.If the lake is big enough to land a Beaver on you can haul plenty of water on your first trip out.I got a Katadyn water filter but haven't tried it yet,they are supposed to be good for Giardia & other micro-critters,good to have for back up.Good Luck!!
    Buzzy. How do you like that Friesen cabin? I looked them up and really like their plan #7. How is the quality? Are you satisfied? Any pics? Thanks again. Steve.

Nice lake close to good fishing.

If there are beavers in the lake you will not want to drink that water.

A couple healthy guys can drive a sandpoint down to the first water level in 1/2 a day or so...Depending on how much beer you supply.

You may have to go a little deeper to find better water.