Thread: round ball moulds

Default round ball moulds

I am new to casting, just bought a complete kit. It was used but everything seems to work. I want to cast for my knight 50 cal. i would like to do conicials and rb. I got all kinds of lead with this stuff but cant tell what is pure lead?? I did get a saeco hardness tester but even after searching the web cant figure out how it works? are plain w/w ok for muzzle loading?? I cast some of the ingots for my 45/70 and the bullets seemed pretty hard so maybe they have somthing else in them. There is also an envelope that says silver leaf on it, the stuff looks like tinfoil, what is this used for? Sorry if i sound totaly confused but i am! oh yea do i have to size rb?? or conicials?

Quote Originally Posted by yukon254 View Post
    I am new to casting, just bought a complete kit. It was used but everything seems to work. I want to cast for my knight 50 cal. i would like to do conicials and rb. I got all kinds of lead with this stuff but cant tell what is pure lead?? I did get a saeco hardness tester but even after searching the web cant figure out how it works? are plain w/w ok for muzzle loading?? I cast some of the ingots for my 45/70 and the bullets seemed pretty hard so maybe they have somthing else in them. There is also an envelope that says silver leaf on it, the stuff looks like tinfoil, what is this used for? Sorry if i sound totaly confused but i am! oh yea do i have to size rb?? or conicials?
    You'll probably do okay with the RBs from wheelweights, though they will likely be slightly different diameter than pure lead. Being harder they'll penetrate game better, but without expansion and as large a wound channel. Your patch is going to be sealing the bore, so harder isn't that big of a deal.

But when you get to conicals, hard is a problem. They have to "upset" or expand to seal the bore, and it's nigh onto impossible to get them to do that with anything but pure lead. Sure, you could cast pistol bullets and put them in sabots just fine. But a bare lead conical from wheelweights is going to be a problem.

Easy way to tell lead that is approximately pure is the old thumbnail test. If you can scratch it easily with your thumbnail, it's pretty close to pure. This should help you with the tester.

Default thanks

Not sure how you found those instructions BRWNBR but thanks it saved me from buying another hardness tester!

Default Moulding

Moulding should be a great winter time/boredom killer. Just remember that when casting ALWAYS-ALWAYS have a ventilator running which evacuates the fumes outside of the building. I would say do it outside BUT that's not likely at -40*; The fumes carry lead vapors and when inhaled cause lead poisioning. NEVER let a drop of water or sweat hit the hot lead or you could be wearing it; it WILL expolde. Wear a protective apron and leather gloves at minimum.
    The silverleaf if for casting bullets for Werewolves and The LONE RANGER, actually it is used to make bullets harder for smokeless applications.
    When shooting round balls which are cast but not swaged, it's best to locate the sprue up or down(keeping the irregularity off the lands and patch gripping surface).
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !