Thread: Photography class

Default Photography class

I got the wife a fancy camera for Christmas and she doesnt know how to use it. anyone have any suggestions for a class around the anchorage area?

Thanks

Living @ the Top of the World in Barrow Alaska

Default I would sincerly suggest

Read the manual - create images !!

That is the easiest way to START - to begin - to create images and learn about photography !

Quote Originally Posted by hntr View Post
    I got the wife a fancy camera for Christmas and she doesnt know how to use it. anyone have any suggestions for a class around the anchorage area?

Thanks
    Tell us which camera first. For example, if it's a Canon, XT, 40D, etc., there are several Canon EOS Digital SLR PhotoGraphy Guides specifically written for each one of these cameras. The author's name is David D. Bush. She can learn quite a lot from that book on how to use the camera, which lenses to use and how, about every mode the camera has, and what do do with one of the modes. He gives examples, charts, photos, etc. to clarify each point he makes.

After this, the only class i would recommend isn't a photography class, but a Photoshop training class. Since digital cameras don't use film, the lab work is done with a photo program such as this.

Default Cannon rebel xsi

I think it came with a CD ROM also, I told her I wasn't interested in learning a new hobby right now, I don't have enough time to enjoy the ones I already have, so she would have to learn on her own.

Basics for the Canon XT, most of it should apply to the XSi.
    http://images.photoworkshop.com/rebe...interface.html

Default No problems..

There are some great resources out there for you. I got a Canon 40D last year and got some books and dvds to help me learn how to use it. That along with a general book on digital photography and you will be set. Much easier than you might think. Below are some links for you. B&H Photo is a great place to buy from.

Below are some books and dvds specific to using your camera. If out of stock at B&H, check on Amazon and you are likely to find them all there.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ide_Combo.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...al_Camera.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...n_Digital.html

Below is a great book on digital photography. Starts off with the very basics and builds...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...tography_.html

For post processing, I suggest Photoshop Elements 6. It is far easier to use than the full Photoshop program and a fraction of the price. There is a great book "Photoshop Elements 6.0 for Digital Photographers" by Scott Kelby. You can order the software and the book together at Amazon. Less than $90 I think. If this doesn't make sense now, just tell your wife and write it down. She will soon find that some computer work is neccesary to get the best results from her images. This software and the book is all she would need. The book goes step by step and is well suited for beginners.

http://www.amazon.com/Adobe-Photosho...1473781&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Photoshop-Elem...1473781&sr=8-3
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default What if the Manual

Makes no sense?
    What if you have a disability and can not digest information from Manuals?
    My daughter has Autism.
    She is a very talented Artist in drawing and painting.
    she is now 17 yrs old, and is taking a photography class at school.
    Her teacher expects that much of the learning be done from the written books..... UGH>>>>
    Unfortunately some folks learn poorly and just get frustrated with trying to learn from manuals etc. My daughter tried to pass the written portion of the driving test recently, and after 4 tries, we asked that the questions be read to her... She passed with 100%.
    Yes, most people can read a manual and do pretty good, but many do not learn well this way.. And some of us choose to learn in other ways than the manuals....
    The question was asked about classes for Photography, not about reading the manual on your own..
    It just hit me wrong when people say that.... knowing what i know about a very talented young lady in my life that does not digest the written, but is more than able to learn with spoken language....
    So,, I will ask the question again..
    Is there any classes on Photography in the area, that adults can attend?
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Living @ the Top of the World in Barrow Alaska

The generalized information was not meant to upset you in any manner, now that I have more information, I can clearly steer you in a more direct approach that maybe you haven't thought of.

Google : (keywords) photography DVD teaching (camera brand model) !

That should put you in the ball park to sort through some visual teaching aids, @ home where it might be more comfortable.

The manuals suck, plain and simple. Fine if you are already experienced in photography. But for a beginner, they are of little use since a beginner would not know how changing modes or camera settings would effect the image in the first place.

The books I suggested, as well as the David Busch book mentioned (great book) should be considered the manual for a beginner. I have his book for my 40D, but did not find it on B&H when I was copying links. But his book is a very good one indeed.

For learning what the many settings/buttons on the camera are, the dvd is the most helpful thing I bought. It sure speeds up the learning curve to watch it being done on the tv screen in front of you. Pause, do it yourself, take pause off, keep going. Easy as it gets.

The books give tons of insight for actually using the camera in a purposeful way. And last but not least, the manual that came with the camera. Well, actually it is the least, but you get the point. For a greenhorn, the combination of the three is ideal.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default I hijacked

This thread, so I apologize for my quick tongue, or fingers,,,lol
    I should not have spoken for anyone else here...
    Just wanted to share the idea, that not everyone enjoys learning hobbies from a book.... at least the start of a hobby... take for instance the hobby of Birding.. they have found that what draws people to that activity is getting out where they can actually witness what they are looking for, have along a person that is skilled in the hobby to point out what they are seeing... then after the outing, one can go to the books and look up what they saw or think they saw..
    Photography may be the same for many..
    They just want to get out and blow some film, or some memory with an instructor that can give some advice along the way... then if it drives them, they can research it later....
    Any way.. I have learned to try and find visual and verbal teaching methods for my daughter. I am pretty sure many others enjoy this way of learning also... it does not mean they are lazy.. some learn different than others..
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskacanoe View Post
    I have learned to try and find visual and verbal teaching methods for my daughter. I am pretty sure many others enjoy this way of learning also... it does not mean they are lazy.. some learn different than others..
    Max

No doubt about it man. I taught myself photography, golf, and fly fishing with instructional dvds. People learn differently and it is great that there are so many resources available to us today. In times past, that was surely not the case.

Default Classes

This was discussed a little bit before Christmas:

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=44287

Of interest:

Feb… weekend… indoor workshop… $100
    http://www.anchoragemuseum.org/art/adult_classes.aspx

March… weekend… outdoor workshop… $75
    http://www.halgage.com/hg/workshops/

Sometimes read the manual is good; for me I like to skim through the manual to get familiar with the manual and the camera. Later when I sit and wonder - "Hey can I..." then I might find it in the manual, or actually recall that I can from my VERY LIMITED short term memory.

Sometimes the classes will get the creativity juices flowing, or may offer inspiration.

Anyway - hope the above helps!