Thread: Transportation from lower 48?

Default Transportation from lower 48?

Has anyone ever flown down to Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, etc. for a hunt and rented a car or truck and drove it back to Alaska? Is this even possible coming through Canada? Any info would be greatly appreciated.... thanks

Possible....yes Probable....no I'm thinking you would have a hard time renting a vehicle if the renting agency knew where the vehicle would end up....not to mention the expense! But you know what we used to say in the military: It is easier to ask for forgiveness than beg for permission.

Why not just fly back to Alaska?

Default Cost

For what you could rent a vehicle for in Montana and drive it back to AK, you could by one;Full-sized pick-up prices are down at the present. Then it would be yours to resale when you got back to AK.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Default Driving back

Hertz allows you to drop your car off at a different location than you picked it up but I would guess it would be spendy with milage and all to bring it up the alcan (2500-3000 mi from Montana). another Idea would be to buy a car where you are and sell it when you get back. As far as driving through Canada you would have no problems as long as the guns and game you are bringing through are not prohibited. Why are you wanting to drive back? just looking to add to the vacation?
    19' Lowe Roughneck
    90/65 Honda 4 stroke
    Outboard Jet

Default Motorhome

Rent a motorhome and small trailer for the game if necessary. Or...prop the game up in the passenger seat and use the HOV lane
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

I just played around on a couple of rent a car sites and none would allow you to drop off in Alaska.

Default Try u-haul

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkman View Post
    I just played around on a couple of rent a car sites and none would allow you to drop off in Alaska.
    There is a U-HAUL in Fairbanks. You should be able to use a small one for your project. Some rent window vans, Just a thought. Not a car per se but it rolls.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Default Rental car dropoff

I frequently rent cars in the lower 48 on business. And drop them off in other locations, for example rent in LA drop off in Pheonix. They chage me about a $1/mile dropoff fee. On that and with the info from other posts, I guess you should expect a $3000 dropoff fee. Pretty pricey!!

You can rent the small truck for ~$1500 Helena MT to Anchorage AK. I do not think uhaul lets you rent the vans or their pickup truck for one way moves. Throw a cot in the back and you'd have an motorhome. They give you about 2,900 miles and 10 days for this rate.

Call around. I've gotten cars from Avis and Hertz for no extra charge twice with a one way drop off. They often have cars that need to get back where they came from.

Quote Originally Posted by mcreg View Post
    I frequently rent cars in the lower 48 on business. And drop them off in other locations, for example rent in LA drop off in Pheonix. They chage me about a $1/mile dropoff fee. On that and with the info from other posts, I guess you should expect a $3000 dropoff fee. Pretty pricey!!
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Yeah after more research and advise it would be faster and easier to just fly down and back and pay the extra freight to bring the meat back. I was just exploring alternatives to all the flight costs but at the same time driving back to Alaska from Montana in late November isn't something I'd really care to get into either. Thanks for the help...Hatfield

The drive is a nice one, drove out in DEC one year stopped in MT for a few days was an easy drive.

Default hey

hatfield, i sent you a PM