Thread: Shrimping In Seward - Aialik Areas

Default Shrimping In Seward - Aialik Areas

I was wondering if anyone tried shrimping in the newly opened areas out of Seward this past summer. What kind of catches were available.
    Any - All experiences would be interesting to hear about. F&G siad it should be very good - I have not heard of any experiences that were exceptional?

Quote Originally Posted by akfishnut View Post
    I was wondering if anyone tried shrimping in the newly opened areas out of Seward this past summer. What kind of catches were available.
    Any - All experiences would be interesting to hear about. F&G siad it should be very good - I have not heard of any experiences that were exceptional?
    I had very bad luck over there with shrimping last year. I guess I just never found them.

Default seward shrimp

I tried a little summer before last, but not last summer. I never found them

I haven't tried it down there, either...but I have looked over the charts to see where it might be good to try. Holgate Arm (west side of Aialik Bay) looked like an interesting spot...I particularly wanted to try the hole on the inside of the moraine shelf (at least it looks like a moraine shelf) up near the head of the Arm...but it's not a very large area.

Quote Originally Posted by MRFISH View Post
    I haven't tried it down there, either...but I have looked over the charts to see where it might be good to try. Holgate Arm (west side of Aialik Bay) looked like an interesting spot...I particularly wanted to try the hole on the inside of the moraine shelf (at least it looks like a moraine shelf) up near the head of the Arm...but it's not a very large area.

I know exactly where you are talking about. I have never dropped a pot over on that arm. I may give it shot this summer. If nothing else, the scenary is great there. The bottom fishing in the area, well not so much.....It is a beautiful bay with surprisingly little fishing pressure. While I have caught fish all over the bay, I have never had any great days to write home about. But, it is always worth the trip and has some nice places to camp out if you don't mind the darn bears. The areas around Coleman Bay and Three Hole Bay are especially nice in my opinion. Who's tired of winter?

Default Surprised theres not more shrimp

I guess I am a little surprised more people have not set some pots prior to fishing for silvers at Pony Cove. It's seems like you could set them up - and catch a few bottom fish and hit the silvers on the way home. With the area having being closed for several years, you would think there should be a good number of stocks available.

akfishnut,

I think just may be because it is a considerable distance to get to what looks like the prime shrimping spots on the map. Also, and I'm sure that you already know this, the chunk of water between Pilot Rock and Aialik Cape can be hideous thanks to the combination of the shallows, the bold cape, the tidal current, ocean current, and the wind. Sometimes, when everything is just wrong (my most memorable time is when there was a spring tide and a SE wind of about 30 kts a couple of years ago), it is surprisingly sucky there. It reminded me of a river bar. I must have timed it perfectly wrong.

However, with that said, even in a boat of my size, you can get over there (and back) just fine in the summer months most of the time and I do it often at high tide and low tide. But, there is one good thing about being over there if you get caught over there, and that is there are numerous anchorages and excellent VHF radio reception thanks to transmitter in Coleman Bay. And there is excellent entertainment in watching the people staying at the cabin get chased by black bears. I guess there's worse places to be stranded.

PS, I do think the shrimp are there. I have just never found a sweet spot. I have not put in enough time to really know yet. This could be that I was there too late, I was in a spot that looked good on the map but just isn't for some odd reason, or that they are just so stinking deep they are out of my league. Just because a few of us give discouraging reports does not mean that you won't get any. If you have a big fast boat, you could easily soak some pots over there, bottom fish the day away (the rock fish fishing is excellent over there just about everywhere) and then come back and hit the silvers at Pony.

Of all the folks i've talked with that tried shrimping there nobody has ever told me the caught much of anything. I don't know if its just a dead zone or maybe there just aren't that many shrimp on that bottom.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    Of all the folks i've talked with that tried shrimping there nobody has ever told me the caught much of anything. I don't know if its just a dead zone or maybe there just aren't that many shrimp on that bottom.
    And you'd know if there were any there too. I just don't well there. It has been relatively fruitless.

i've never shrimped in that part of the world but some of my buddies that live in Seward have tried different spots in the fall when they were running their bowpickers back home and none of them have ever caught anything to speak of. I wonder if the bottom is spotty or streaky and when you do land on a good spot you may just load up but getting back on the spot may be a problem.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by T.R. Bauer View Post
    I know exactly where you are talking about. I have never dropped a pot over on that arm. I may give it shot this summer. If nothing else, the scenary is great there. The bottom fishing in the area, well not so much.....It is a beautiful bay with surprisingly little fishing pressure. While I have caught fish all over the bay, I have never had any great days to write home about. But, it is always worth the trip and has some nice places to camp out if you don't mind the darn bears. The areas around Coleman Bay and Three Hole Bay are especially nice in my opinion. Who's tired of winter?
    T.R., I've never ventured very far into Holgate Arm myself either, but that 40 fathom lump just outside the southern end of the entrance has given up a few halibut to me over the years. Nuthin' big, though. Looking further into Aialik Bay, it sure looks a lot like Unakwik in PWS (where I've heard good shrimping reports). The shelf there looks very shallow and potentially tricky (I've never crossed it) but there's lots of deep water inside there, too.