Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 460 rowland on xd frame?

Default 460 rowland on xd frame?

I was down at wild west and saw this and it intrigued me. I don't know much about the xd but all other 1911 frames they use a compensated barrel and wwg did not on this. Does anyone know if the gun can handle not being ported is it a stornger design any thought would be appreciated since I am now thinking of buying one.

Nick, I once had a fairly long talk with Jim West about the .460 Rowland. He said that he felt that the comp wasn't necessary with the right springs. He built one for himself, a 1911, using a Bar-Sto 6" barrel. It looked pretty cool.

We have done several on both the XD 5" and the M&P 5"

Default xd rowland

how does the xd frame hold up compared to the 1911 comp system

Havbent had any bad reports yet....the 460 isnt a target gun, its a bear defense gun. I would view it like shooting heavy loads out of a 629, same effect

Default Do you stock any ammo for the .460?

It'd sure be nice if someone local was... Thanks!

P.S. I got 20 bucks says I ask you face to face before you answer this post!!!

(not trying to insinuate you're slow either, just that its more fun to check your stock out and ask questions than it is to be plugging away on this computer and asking questions!)

Default Well... I won the 20.00!

But he sold another handgun and bunch of ammo!

Yall are some expensive friends!

wildalaska - how did your 460 Rowland conversions work on the S&W M&P? What barrel did you use? Did you have an extended, and/or ported barrel? Frame and slide survive?

Also, if you are the same wildalaska, I read your post with on the firing line about the 460 Rowland test vs 44 mag. Thanks for doing the test and posting the results. Interesting and fun reading. You were using the Corbon 460, which appears to be not as hot as the Georgia Arms 460. Ever try the Georgia Arms ammo in your 460s?

We have done several M&Ps now and have had no negative reports, we dont do extenede barrels...the cool one we are doing is that Super Hawg Para 6" 14 shot...now thats a bear gun!

Thats me on TFL...we use the Corbon 460 becasue its easier to get (we are Corbon distribs) than the GA.....

The Para sounds great, but I'm looking more for just bear defense, with a lot of carry time. Don't care about long range accuracy. That means light weight, so I'll try one of the plastic guns. Glad to know it can be done.

Thanks again for the info.

Default .460 Rowland Questions and Personal Experience

Hey guys. I got a .460 Rowland on a Kimber 1911 and I am absolutely in love!!! What is this I hear about being able to convert an XD to .460 Rowland? That would be an absolute dream come true!!! Please if you guys have any info please please let me know. Thank you for your time

Default Rowland XD

I just had one done at WIld West...it's pretty impressive to have all that firepower at your disposal! The only drawbacks I can see are the limited supply of . 460 Rowland ammo, it seems also that 230gr is abouth the max for bullet weight (not enough room in the case) and being that its an auto, no flat nose bullets either. However I think the pros outwiegh any cons! and...its cool

Default more

I was also advised by another forum member that the .460 was the most finicky cartridge he's ever reloaded

Default I've been running across .460 ammo all over the place...

Quote Originally Posted by DeadWolf View Post
    I just had one done at WIld West...it's pretty impressive to have all that firepower at your disposal! The only drawbacks I can see are the limited supply of . 460 Rowland ammo, it seems also that 230gr is abouth the max for bullet weight (not enough room in the case) and being that its an auto, no flat nose bullets either. However I think the pros outwiegh any cons! and...its cool
    It' s been easier to find than 10mm or .45acp lately... Wild West has a bunch (I think) Boobdocks had a pile of it too...

We anticipate that we will see a steady supply of Corbon 460 Rowland. After all, the owner of Corbon is out hunting with Jim West right now and just took a 60" moose

We have wads of 45acp in stock by the way

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    We anticipate that we will see a steady supply of Corbon 460 Rowland. After all, the owner of Corbon is out hunting with Jim West right now and just took a 60" moose

We have wads of 45acp in stock by the way
    Funny how that works

Dont know anything about the Rowland cartridge. Anyone care to give me a rundown on it...any and all info is appreciated...

Default .460 Rowland

...is a hot loaded .45 acp. The case is a little longer than the .45 acp so as to keep the .45 Rowland from chambering in a regular .45s. The Clark Custom Guns site, http://www.clarkcustomguns.com/ has a bunch of info, as they make a dropin kit. The company that makes a carbine upper for 1911 & Glock lowers has a .460 Rowland upper as well.

Bottom line, as far as I can tell, is near .44 mag performance i.e. 230 grain @ 1300fps.

Not Earth shattering compared to the .454, .480/.475, .460 S&W & .500 S&W, but having 14+ rounds in your hand of 'almost' .44mag isn't too bad. I know I'm going to do this someday.

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    Funny how that works

Dont know anything about the Rowland cartridge. Anyone care to give me a rundown on it...any and all info is appreciated...
    A 45 caliber semi-auto round similar to the 45 acp but in a longer case .960" vs .898" of ACP and loaded to the same overall length as the ACP. Meant to be used in the same guns. The round is loaded to approximately 40,000 psi and the brass is beefed up to take the pressure. (Slightly thicker and with a harder temper.) To convert to the Rowland we put in heavier recoil springs and a matching firing pin or trigger spring (depending on type of gun) and a barrel chambered for the longer cartridge. The ballistics are quite impressive and give a 230 grain bullet 1300 fps from a six inch barrel. In my 1911's I converted the 5" barrel was swapped for the Rowland 6". There is also a 45 Super, stronger brass but same dimensions of the ACP. These two conversions need barrels that support more of the case body but the super and the ACP can use the same barrel. The feed ramp of the 1911 barrel may be cut away too much to take this pressure level. Also my guns, in the super and the Rowland feed flat nosed bullets fine. In particular the Sierra 230 grain FPJ bullet and they reach 1150 and 1300 fps respectively. Both are limited to bullets of about this weight as case capacity and magazine length come into play here. It is a full power 1911 and I suppose the same goes for any pistol. I don't know much about the XD but don't care for its looks and feel. I suppose it is as good as any. I got to examine a Rowland on the CZ 45 ACP frame the other day. An interesting conversion.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

So we're talking far exceeding the 10mm capabilities. I imagine you can use the same factory mags so cartridge capacity stays the same?

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    So we're talking far exceeding the 10mm capabilities. I imagine you can use the same factory mags so cartridge capacity stays the same?
    You betcha!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast