Thread: red shirt pike

Default red shirt pike

hows the fishing?? hows the hike?? what depth are the fish?? any useful info. we have 6 people headed out in the morning for 3 days 2 nights. 2 guys on sleds to haul the gear, the rest of us are going on snow shoes..staying at cabin number 2.( yes i know it is -40..but its a chance to go fishing.). any advice from any1 would be great..never fished red shirt b4.

Default Fishing

Well assuming you will be coming from the Nancy Lake Parkway I would say that where the snowmachines drop onto the lake would be your best bet. All along there are good weed beds and a few little streams that dump in from the swamps. I have caught a few in there over the years but nothing huge. About ten years ago though there was a group out there that iced two that were over 20lbs so they are in there. Another good place would be in the cove by your cabin. Not sure what depths are but I have fished about 15 feet down and hooked into some. Good luck.

thank you very much.. time for bed now, as morning comes in 6 hours...will fill every in on the finish results

Quote Originally Posted by polarisblake View Post
    group out there that iced two that were over 20lbs so they are in there.
    Well, at least they use to be

ive fished outside cabin 2 in that bay. if your standing at the cabin looking at the lake, fish the right side from the cabin all the way to the end where it cuts hard right. never had much luck from the middle of that bay left.

what a nightmare ..lol but a great experience. I thought i could hike 3 miles even at -30 to -40, with a light rucksack....that would have been great, but the almost 9 miles of the winter route pushed the extreme. We made it in to the cabin(i was wrong it was cabin3). and the two guys on the snowmachines( who refused to ride tandem under any circumstance) didnt want to go back out in the cold to do a second trip. of course the auger was part of the second trip. so we walked almost 9 miles. had a couple drinks, a poker game,went to bed, woke up, and walked back out. the journal in the cabin listed that the fishing has been good, though.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by chellesman View Post
    what a nightmare ..lol but a great experience. I thought i could hike 3 miles even at -30 to -40, with a light rucksack....that would have been great, but the almost 9 miles of the winter route pushed the extreme. We made it in to the cabin(i was wrong it was cabin3). and the two guys on the snowmachines( who refused to ride tandem under any circumstance) didnt want to go back out in the cold to do a second trip. of course the auger was part of the second trip. so we walked almost 9 miles. had a couple drinks, a poker game,went to bed, woke up, and walked back out. the journal in the cabin listed that the fishing has been good, though.
    Note to self.
    Lesson 1 learned: Never go out with "guys on snowmachines (who refuse to ride tandem under any circumstance)".
    Lesson 2 learned: A 3 mile hike can easily turn into a 9 mile hike.
    Glad you made it out OK.
    SP
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Quote Originally Posted by chellesman View Post
    and the two guys on the snowmachines( who refused to ride tandem under any circumstance) didnt want to go back out in the cold to do a second trip.
    some friends you got there...lol...
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....