Thread: POW/S.E. snow

Default POW/S.E. snow

It's been a long time since S.E. had this much snow. I sure hope somebody ( since I'm not there) has the kahoonas to dump some spruce on the beaches so the deer don't have a major die off to winter kill. The old timers used to do this during hard winters. Imagine that, a conservation effort by hunters concerned about the health of the deer population!
    Even a jackass won't stumble on the same stone twice.

yeah....2 years ago was really a long time

Actually snow was deeper last year at Hollis than it is now .... but here in Ketchikan ... that's another story .... the last time it was like this was like '82.

We took the skiff out on the 31st and snowshoed up a little ways off the beach out in Thorne Arm..

50 yards off the beach we were sinking two feet. The little sign we did see you could see where the deer' bellies were dragging in the snow.
    We did spot one doe, but when we got back to the skiff we saw her fresh prints go right by it.... lol..

Looked like the deer were having a rough go of it. I know we were.

Default yeah....2 years ago was really a long time

O.K. so YOU didn't get the snow, how about where you are not at?
    Even a jackass won't stumble on the same stone twice.

Ok...that was sarcasm. My mistake...two years ago we had record snowfall across a good portion of southeast (tapering off around the end of Baranof into some serious rain, from what I've heard). There was talk of 10+ feet of snow in some places straight off the beach...So we've already had a massive winter kill year recently...

http://www.arh.noaa.gov/clim/climDat...=31&endyr=2007

Quote Originally Posted by ACNDHO View Post
    It's been a long time since S.E. had this much snow. I sure hope somebody ( since I'm not there) has the kahoonas to dump some spruce on the beaches so the deer don't have a major die off to winter kill. The old timers used to do this during hard winters. Imagine that, a conservation effort by hunters concerned about the health of the deer population!
    This is the the third year in a row in these parts, although I think this is the longest and COLDEST stretch of snow we've had. Had 2 degrees last night before bed.

The spruce idea, would that be legal? I am guessing the idea is they would then be able to browse the needles? Would other types of trees work? I all for helping out the local population. Usually it's by getting rid of some wolves, but thats hard to do when they've got all they want to eat already.

Quote Originally Posted by Stickeen View Post
    The spruce idea, would that be legal?
    That would not be legal ... the last time I heard of that type of action was back in '72 and they fell Cedar for beach browse .....

Quote Originally Posted by Stickeen View Post
    Usually it's by getting rid of some wolves, but thats hard to do when they've got all they want to eat already.
    POW Island Wolves always get fat in the winter ...... but they can be hunted in the winter easier than any other time. The season is open till March 31.

There is no problem with the POW Island Deer at this point and there is rain on the horizon .... during the last 2 winters there was deep snow events and there was minimal die offs on POW Island. That was not the situation north .... as Dr.No pointed out.

Quote Originally Posted by muskeg View Post
    POW Island Wolves always get fat in the winter ...... but they can be hunted in the winter easier than any other time. The season is open till March 31.
    Just hard to keep the traps working in this weather. Creeks are frozen or snowed in and they just don't seem to be as interested in the bait when they have fresh meat running around. There was noticeably a lack of older, mature bucks running around Wrangell and surrounding islands this fall. Plenty of younger bucks, but the older ones were just not there as they had been prior to the last few winters.

Default Spruce?

You wanna feed the spruce hens? they're about the only thing I know that ear spruce needles.