Thread: Legality of Laser sight?

Default Legality of Laser sight?

I'm looking at buying a new Para-USA GI Expert .45(http://para-usa.com/new/product_expert.php), and just to make things easier for my wife I want to get a lasersight for it so she can use it for home defense and not have to worry about aiming. So my question is, "Is it legal to use laser's in Alaska"?

are you referring to regular lasers on grips or for rail attachment? yeah, they're legal. are they not legal in some states? i'm pretty sure they're legal everywhere.

Default Rules for self defense?

How timely is your question. Check out this thread from just a little while ago, and on this very forum (in another category). Thread title: Rules for a gunfight!

The short version is "Rules!? There ain't any rules!" A fight for your life is not a sporting event. Whatever tools you can bring, use them.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=45318

11. Always cheat, always win. The only unfair fight is the one you lose

If you are asking for legal advice, it would be best to consult a lawyer and pay for certified legal advice. But I follow this rule, "If I am not justified in following rule 11, I do not have just cause to use deadly force on another human being."

Give this a read: NO SECOND PLACE WINNER. by Bill Jordan (Bill Jordan's classic work on police gunfighting)

Think about using a laser, though. If there are no lights on, the laser just gives you a little red dot (or green in some units) It tells you where the bullet will be landing, but nothing about what the bullet will be landing ON. A combination flashlight/laser will light up the target area as well as the precise aiming point. I have a Surefire unit with their 3-way switch. Laser only, Light only, laser and light with choice of the switch will stay on or will shut off when my finger releases it. Spendy, but quality. Unfortunately, I don't have a rail mount for my 1911.

Good Luck

Lost Sheep

Laser sights are not legal for hunting, that may be where the question came from.

Default red dot

Are red dot sights legal to hunt with? Such as the bushnell trophy or an eotech? I have two of the bushnells on my Ruger chargers and I want to get some birds or rabits with them.

original question was for home/personal defense, yes lasers are legal.
    to hunt with? seems like the red dots would be legal, but i plead ignorance, not sure. will wait for someone else to chime in on this.

Quote Originally Posted by fozz View Post
    Are red dot sights legal to hunt with? Such as the bushnell trophy or an eotech? I have two of the bushnells on my Ruger chargers and I want to get some birds or rabits with them.
    Artificial light is illegal for hunting. If the red dot is powered by a battery, no[go IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by akjeff View Post
    Artificial light is illegal for hunting. If the red dot is powered by a battery, no[go IMO.

I understand that to be projected artificial light that lights up the target, not a lighted reticle.

For home defense use whatever works for ya.
    Now what ?