Thread: looking to comeback to alaska but I want the real experience

Default looking to comeback to alaska but I want the real experience

Hey guys, Im new to the forum but not new to fishing. I'm from california and I am sick of catching 12 inch rainbow stockers in the eastern sierras. I made a trip up to anchorage a few years back but kept running into "combat" fishing. This time I'm hoping to do it a little different and find a spot with more fish and less people. I have been checking out Sitka and POW for their freshwater fishing but I am a little worried about how many streams and rivers are "accessible". I'm looking for freshwater salmon fishing during the summer but I am not much of a fly fisherman, any ideas on where to go to catch some big alaskan salmon on light spin tackle this summer? and do you guys recommend any certain place to stay? (btw the trip doesnt need to be chartered)

Sounds like a float trip to me

If interested, shoot me a pm. My wife and I take float trips every year. It is the best way to see the "real Alaska". Happy to help if needed.

Below is a slideshow of images from our recent trips...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2114408...27567944/show/
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

We get this question once in awhile. I think you will get lots of suggestions. My recommendation is this: If you want to catch lots of salmon on light fishing tackle with no crowds then you need to wait for the Pink Salmon run on many of the rivers. Most notably is the Kenai River, it is absolutely flooded with pinks when the time is right. Best part is there's hardly anybody that fishes it.

thanks for the quick responses. I actually fished the Kenai River and when I went in late June it seemed a little too crowded. Those pics from the float trip were pretty impressive but I was wondering if you can access those rivers by road because the 4 other guys Im going with are looking to stay at a lodge or motel and drive to the rivers and creeks.

No, you can't access them from the road. The trips we do require a flight from Anchorage to Kotzebue or Dillingham, then a 80-90 mile bush plane flight out to the river. You float for a week or two and get the bush plane to pick you up at a predetermined place. It is the remoteness of these trips that is the best part. River full of fish, wildlife is all around, scenery is great and nobody to share it with. If you want lodges/motels and road side fishing, you will have a very different experience to say the least. Just depends on what you are looking for.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

When staying on the road system, around lodges or motels, and wanting to chase salmon your gonna get crowds. Road system = crowds. I dont care where your at in south central alaska. South east is amazing and I have fished there in years past without alot of people. Great bow, and dolly and steelhead fishing. Again. if you need a car and a hotel or lodge your gonna have crowds. It is just the way it is up here. Plus if your fishing in the summer ummmm Hello. Prime Time. Fly out. It is the way. Dan knows his fly out floats. He is spot on
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Don`t rule out Kodiak...Lots of fish,less people.Do some research in the old forums.Good Luck.

I suggest you pick the three out of five buddies you like the least and tell them to stay home. Likely all five will not be on board come summer anyway, so ditch them now

Plan a kick butt 10 day float trip for you and the other two. The three of you could ride in a Beaver together with your gear. Past Dillingham, you would be looking at $1,250 each. That is for the flight and raft/frame/oar rental. Including your other expenses like commercial airline tickets, food, etc.. you are still in the $2-2.5k each price range. So for $225/day you can be floating a pristine Alaska river that is gem clear and full of fish.

Or if you would prefer, you can fly to Anchorage, rent a car, join every other yahoo from the lower 48 on the Kenai and stay at motels and eat $10 cheesburgers. Either way, you will spend $225/day. Not much for me to think about here, but I do realize we all have different ideas of what an Alaskan fishing trip should be.

If the other two or three guys want to come, they could arrange a similar set up. Two people with gear could fly for about $1000 each in a smaller plane. Or three guys could fly in a second Beaver load just like your group. So whether it is one or two rafts, in one or two planes, you would easily have a trip to remember. Food for thought anyway.

If you can't convince your buddies of this, I suggest you find some other fishing companions

Default Late August/September

Quote Originally Posted by jaree275 View Post
    thanks for the quick responses. I actually fished the Kenai River and when I went in late June it seemed a little too crowded. Those pics from the float trip were pretty impressive but I was wondering if you can access those rivers by road because the 4 other guys Im going with are looking to stay at a lodge or motel and drive to the rivers and creeks.
    The Kenai is probably the most crowed river in the state during July when the second run of reds are in the river. During June, the people are concentrated around the Russian for the first run of Russian reds. You would be amazed by the how quiet the city of Soldotna is when August 15th comes around. By the time the pinks are in the river, you will not see many people around. Ketchikan has a ton of pinks. I don't personally care to catch and keep them but I've had guests who have had a blast catching one salmon after another. Besides, the rainbow/dolly fishing is getting pretty hot on the Kenai as well from the red run spawn.

I second Kodiak!!!
    Not sure what your budget is but for a few more dollars you can fly on to Kodiak, stay at a B&B, rent a car and fish many streams for salmon and dollies. Sometimes the rivers have a lot of people on them and sometimes they don't. Most of the chums that I have caught in August I did not see another soul around.
    You can also book an ATV trip to Saltery to fish for reds. Or book a charter flight to the lake and set up a camp for a week or so.
    There are so many options on Kodiak and so little time to fish them and I live here. Work always seems to get in the way :-)

Default Kodiak, thumbs up...

Why do you think I worked my butt off from 2002 until 2006 to understand this place?

Absolutely, it fits the bill of your desires.

The bookstore on this site vends the book I wrote about it.

Feel free to click on my website for expanded information if you need it. PM me if you want further input. Your call is on my dime...

Rosenberg/Florida
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

You'll have to get off the road system to achieve what you want, and there are endless choices depending on your budget and where you want to go. There are many lodges to fly out to fishing a variety of river systems.

Heck, even though I live here I won't fish the kenai with a rod during the salmon season, just too crowded.

Default POW!!

Prince of Wales island has it all IMO. I can drive my pickup to any of 20 different spots within 45minutes of home here on POW and be catching coho, trout or steelhead depending on the time of year. I'll see a few people sure but 95% of the time I'll have the place to myself. There are areas to be avoided that local guides hit but there is plenty of great water to be had. In addition we have great saltwater fishing and if your coming all this way you might as well go bust some halibut, catch a few dungies and some shrimp for dinner while your here. We have numerous B&B's where folks can stay, a few cute places to eat and a decent grocery store. In addition if you decide to ride the state ferry up from Washington its cheaper than flying and is a fun little "poor mans" cruise. My wife and I ride to and from Belligham WA at least once a year with our pickup. We have found that it is very affordable. If "the rock" as we call it enters your plans send me a PM and I can get you started on a few spots that will produce if you plan your trip right. Might even be able to set you up with a boat ride in the salt or find a canoe or raft for you to use if you decide to do the river thing.
    Last edited by SEOceanking; 01-08-2009 at 15:52. Reason: Grammar

Wink Disregard last post!

My last post was a mistake. POW stinks!!! Anyone who reads this.... AVOID Prince of Wales Island AT ALL COSTS!

Default Secrets out

Quote Originally Posted by SEOceanking View Post
    My last post was a mistake. POW stinks!!! Anyone who reads this.... AVOID Prince of Wales Island AT ALL COSTS!
    Too late, secrets out.

Quote Originally Posted by jaree275 View Post
    Hey guys, Im new to the forum but not new to fishing. I'm from california and I am sick of catching 12 inch rainbow stockers in the eastern sierras.
    Heh I'm dreaming of going to the eastern sierras not gonna be fishing for stockers though, thats some of the best fishing in the country
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default 12" Stockers - Why not go after the Alper trout?

Greetings,
    Just wondering why you don't go after the Alper trout in the Sierras? They are a blast to catch!!!
    I highly suggest Kodiak. I was there last summer (from California) and am going back again this summer.
    To save money get a B of A Alaska Air credit card. They are currently giving 20,000 bonus miles to sign up. Add 5,000 more to the card and you can pick up a free trip to Kodiak (OK - the yearly fee on the card is $75 & the fee when you book your flight will be $10, so it's not totally free - but still a killer deal). I got this idea from Bernard Rosenberg - you've got to pick up his books for an Alaskan education!!!
    Another way to save money (anywhere in Alaska is to pick up the Alaskan TourSaver Book (http://www.toursaver.com/index.php/alaska-tours).

Olsby

Default Alaska Air Visa cards....

The best part of the Alaska Air Visa card is the $50 companion ticket you get each year. My wife and I each have our own card, so we have two companion tickets a year. Basically, buy one ticket at full price, the other person flies for $50. Kotzebue is about $1,200 for me from the east coast. Wife goes for $50, so $600/each. Can't beat that deal with a stick. We save the miles for a rainy day and have about 250k saved now. The companion ticket is the real beauty of the Alaska Air Visa card.

Default POW

I would contact Coffman Cove Adventures. They offer lodging, meals, and boats. This is not a guided or chartered service but a do it yourself fishing trip. They also supply the gear needed for fishing, both river and ocean. The fishing is great and much less crowded than in southcentral.

http://www.coffmancoveak.com/