Thread: Paddling a jet boat

Default Paddling a jet boat

I read this on another forum and wanted to pass it along.

If you run a jet boat you MAY have gotten your self in a situation where you had to paddle but if you ever really jet boated you SURELY have gotten yourself into a situation where you need a shovel. A paddle makes a good paddle but a crudy lightweight shovel or prybar, a heavy handled shovel makes a great shovel or prybar and a ok paddle, it weighs about 3 pounds more and is 5 times stronger so why not put the paddle that is taking up valuable space in your boat in your rubber raft and fill that space back in with a nice shovel.

I will be making the trade when the water softens this spring.

*Disclaimer: if your forum handle is tjm (Toshiro) the first part of this post does not apply, you will need 2 very large inflatable pontoons to haul in a 580 Case backhoe.
    19' Lowe Roughneck
    90/65 Honda 4 stroke
    Outboard Jet

Quote Originally Posted by Lowe & Slow View Post
    *Disclaimer: if your forum handle is tjm (Toshiro) the first part of this post does not apply, you will need 2 very large inflatable pontoons to haul in a 580 Case backhoe.
    funny stuff...I'm usually ok just hauling around some good friends, but I'm not sure how long those guys are going to feel like pushing...lol...so your tip is appreciated...
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Default Hauling Friends

When you wear out your friends backs just post a few more videos and I'm sure you can find a few victims oops! I mean volunteers that just want a little thrill ride.
    19' Lowe Roughneck
    90/65 Honda 4 stroke
    Outboard Jet

I am curious as to when you need a shovel in a jet boat? I always used a come-a-long. I know it is a lost cause to try to dig a hole when there is running water, and I figure if I manage to get myself so "high and dry" that it looks like it would be easier to dig a canal to the river than winch the boat back to water, I am going to take some pictures for bragging rights then douse the boat in gas and burn it.

Default A shovel can come in handy when.....

you find yourself on a small, shallow silt bar in the middle of the Tanana just feet from the channel and nothing to anchor a come along to. This happened to me the first year I had my inboard. I had a come along and lots of rope but no shovel.....Two men do not push (or even move) a 3,000+ lb jet boat, but with time, a channel can be dug through soft silt with an oar. Now, I always carry long handled shovels which double as paddles.

I pack both. You can use a shovel for a paddle but paddle all day long with a shovel and you will wish you had a paddle. Paddle weighs next to nothing so it is not a problem to take along.

Default 10 ft oars & oarlocks

I have full blown river raft oar locks on custom mounts and carry a set of 3-piece 10 ft rafting oars for emergency. I have sucessfully ferried across rivers with a loaded boat with little more effort than for a 16 foot loaded raft. Have also rowed just for a challenge about 1 mile across a lake (not much wind at the time).

I simply don't trust engines and want to have control over the boat if dies and where to be suddenly floating uncontrolled downriver or being washed towards the rocks in the ocean. I trust my oars.

The oar locks are on top of the rails at midship right behind the canopy drop curtain. I will post a picture if people are intrested. I stand up to row and face downstream if backrowing in a river with the bow pointed down, or face backwards if front rowing and tyring to go forward on a lake.

Default Post some pics

Yes please post the pics we are always interested in inovation
    19' Lowe Roughneck
    90/65 Honda 4 stroke
    Outboard Jet

I have thought about putting oar locks on mine several times it is good to hear that it has been done successfully!

One paddle, and one military entrenching tool '64 vintage to dig with.

Default jet boat oars - photo

Here is the set up on my 20ft Wooldridge Sport.
    I use 10 ft 3-piece raft oars ($300 pair)

This works, I have used it for ferrying across rivers at the usual downstream trajectory of about twice as far as the river is wide.

I get a full dip of the oar blade and full stroke without hitting anything. The drop curtain sides don't even get in the way, but the door does need to be rolled up.

The mounts fit inside my slant back cover. I store the assembled oars on the floor behind the bench seat and can mount them quick if needed.

I stand up to row as described in previous reply to this thread.

The mount is a 1.5" aluminum tube with the next smaller aluminum pipe diameter sleeve milled down by a machine shop to fit snugly between the oar lock mounting post and the inside of the 1.5" outer pipe.

The boat came with one of 1.5" deals mounted as shown that was used for a crab pot puller or something like that...........I had the other one installed by Silverstreak and then had the sleeves machined after wearing out some hand whittled wood ones!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Great innovation on the oarlocks bandito. I may give some thought to mounting a set on my sportjon. I, like most others mentioned carry both oars and a shovel. If you do any camping on the river you're going to need the shovel at some point. Digging a channel to refloat doesn't sound too apealing but if that's what it came down to I'd hate to think about doing it with an oar.

Thanks Tito! That looks like another mod to add to the list... I also want a slant back now too, it looks like the ticket for sleeping on the boat while hunting, just add the Mr. buddy heater and it's just like home!

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    it's just like home!
    either your boat is really clean or your home smells funny...lol..
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Default modified slantback

Here is my modified slantback cover. The original Buster's cover did not have the window panel or the large side zips. Silverstreak modified the cover per my directions. They did not want to run the zipper the full length, but I made them do it, and gave them detailed instructions on where I wanted the roll up tabs. With this cover I can do the following:

Leave the entire cover snapped down and see out the back while driving
    Roll up either side only
    Roll up both sides
    Roll up and stow the main middle panel and leave the sides down
    Roll up and stow the entire cover leaving it attached at the top (which is necessary if you are going to row the oars)

I think I should patent this design. It works awesome!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by titobandito; 01-13-2009 at 23:07. Reason: more info

Don't patent it yet. My wife does industrial sewing and I think I'm going to have to show her your picture and work me up one of those. The only thing is you're trapping whatever noise you might block out with the dropdown curtain in with you but if I'd wanted a quiet boat I wouldn't have bought the sportjon. Maybe I should start a new thread for this question but anyone have any experience with using the sound deadening mat inside of their engine cover. I was considering doing it but the stuff is pretty expensive. Some confirmation that it works well might convice me to drop the cash.

Default titobandito??

I like your inovative thinking and follow through along with your toys, I was wondering if you were interested in adopting a son, my stats are:
    44 years old
    eat alot
    would rather fish and hunt than work
    have three sons and a wife

The good news is I could sell all of my stuff and use yours so overcrowding wouldn't be a problem.

seriously I am glad you chime in on these threads and share your ideas and pics.
    19' Lowe Roughneck
    90/65 Honda 4 stroke
    Outboard Jet

Thats too funny! Thanks for the tip on the shovel guys!

Default mods

Quote Originally Posted by Lowe & Slow View Post
    I like your inovative thinking and follow through along with your toys, I was wondering if you were interested in adopting a son, my stats are:
    44 years old
    eat alot
    would rather fish and hunt than work
    have three sons and a wife

The good news is I could sell all of my stuff and use yours so overcrowding wouldn't be a problem.

seriously I am glad you chime in on these threads and share your ideas and pics.

I never own anything without either modifying it, or wanting to modify it. I learn lots on this forum, so I try to give back a bit.

Already got two adopted sons............now a second wife sounds interesting and possibly entertaining.......but would probably end up being more trouble and expense than even owning and endlessly modifying a boat!