Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Whittier Construction

Default Whittier Construction

Has anyone heard how the construction is going in Whittier? I'm wondering if they will be done before the shimping opener in April.

Quote Originally Posted by 00Buck View Post
    Has anyone heard how the construction is going in Whittier? I'm wondering if they will be done before the shimping opener in April.
    I certainly hope so because I sure love them Shimp!

Seriously, if Mother Nature is ready for the shrimp opining in April Ill be surprised.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Quote Originally Posted by breausaw View Post
    I certainly hope so because I sure love them Shimp!

Seriously, if Mother Nature is ready for the shrimp opining in April Ill be surprised.

Jay,

You know you can get to PWS from Seward. It is a nice little boat ride.

Tim

Here's a link to the latest thread on the topic. If anyone is out and about in Whittier, be sure to snap a pic or two of the progress and post it for all to see.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...light=whittier

Quote Originally Posted by T.R. Bauer View Post
    Jay,

You know you can get to PWS from Seward. It is a nice little boat ride.

Tim
    Hay Tim,

An additional 120 roundtrip road miles from Anchorage, no thanks; for you thats a long hall for a C-brat from Wasilla.
    Looks like well get our CBGT in PWS this summer, although malti-hull-ethnical.
    Im not a brand snob; just think everyone should own a CD.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Quote Originally Posted by breausaw View Post
    Hay Tim,

An additional 120 roundtrip road miles from Anchorage, no thanks; for you thats a long hall for a C-brat from Wasilla.
    Looks like well get our CBGT in PWS this summer, although malti-hull-ethnical.
    Im not a brand snob; just think everyone should own a CD.

Jay,

I think it was you and I that talked about getting to together for CBGT in PWS and then we both just did our regular summer thing. I have a huge problem, I love the Gulf Coast halibut fishing and I love PWS. So, I go to both places. I like to hit Whittier early in the year as the weather on the sound is normally more placid. Then about late June or so hit Seward hard as the North Gulf will often have 3 foot seas or less on good days and chase those big butts by our little big island: that is Montague Island for those that are confused. You know last year, I never made it over that far as I always got into some really nice ones well before Point Puget. Oh well, maybe this year. I hear yeah about the drive times.....

Default Update from the Harbormaster on the ramp upgrade

I just ran across this on the Whittier Harbor website:

Message From The
    Harbormaster
    January 2, 2009
    I hope you all have weathered the Holidays with plenty of good will and good cheer.
    Although there seem to be plenty of challenges facing Alaskans and all of us as
    Americans, I think there is still a lot to be thankful and optimistic about. Here on the
    waterfront in Whittier, your staff is working hard to improve our service to you, the
    customer, and to continue to work towards maintaining and improving the facility.
    We have survived another budget building and tariff setting process for Calendar Year
    2009. The budget for the Harbor is a fairly neutral one that reflects no increase in
    moorage fees. There was a suggestion to raise Transient Fees by 20% to help support
    Revenue Bonding for float replacement, but that notion failed in the budget process.
    The East Ramp Replacement Project is still in the construction phase but is slated to be
    complete ahead of its scheduled date for Substantial Completion of April 1, 2009. The
    three lane ramp will allow two lanes of traffic to go one direction while one lane will
    handle traffic going the other. This should help to reduce the anxiety levels for those
    waiting to go in and those rushing to catch tunnels on the way out. We will still have the
    West Boat Ramp open as tides allow.
    Enclosed in January billing you will find two additional items. One is a DRAFT copy of
    the new Rules and Regulations portion of the new contract packet being recommended by
    the Port and Harbor Commission to the City Council. If you have any suggestions or
    comments please feel free to email me at: harbormaster@whittieralaska.gov
    The Harbor Staff is trying to separate the Rules and Regulations from the City Code for
    easier understanding while Title 12 of the Code (pertaining to the Harbor) is being
    updated for consistency and accuracy. The second is a note from The Whittier Boat
    Owners Association. They are seeking folks interested in attending their meetings and
    participating in WBOAs events. Theyre a great group. Check them out.
    We hope that in 2009 we will see some great things happening on our waterfront. We are
    working hard to get the marina floats replaced, the sheet-pile installed, the boardwalk
    replaced, the Harbor Building improved or rebuilt and a dozen other projects that we
    believe we can accomplish. Everything takes time and money. It also takes heartand
    that weve got!

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by jrogers View Post
    I just ran across this on the Whittier Harbor website:

Message From The
    Harbormaster
    January 2, 2009
    I hope you all have weathered the Holidays with plenty of good will and good cheer.
    Although there seem to be plenty of challenges facing Alaskans and all of us as
    Americans, I think there is still a lot to be thankful and optimistic about. Here on the
    waterfront in Whittier, your staff is working hard to improve our service to you, the
    customer, and to continue to work towards maintaining and improving the facility.
    We have survived another budget building and tariff setting process for Calendar Year
    2009. The budget for the Harbor is a fairly neutral one that reflects no increase in
    moorage fees. There was a suggestion to raise Transient Fees by 20% to help support
    Revenue Bonding for float replacement, but that notion failed in the budget process.
    The East Ramp Replacement Project is still in the construction phase but is slated to be
    complete ahead of its scheduled date for Substantial Completion of April 1, 2009. The
    three lane ramp will allow two lanes of traffic to go one direction while one lane will
    handle traffic going the other. This should help to reduce the anxiety levels for those
    waiting to go in and those rushing to catch tunnels on the way out. We will still have the
    West Boat Ramp open as tides allow.
    Enclosed in January billing you will find two additional items. One is a DRAFT copy of
    the new Rules and Regulations portion of the new contract packet being recommended by
    the Port and Harbor Commission to the City Council. If you have any suggestions or
    comments please feel free to email me at: harbormaster@whittieralaska.gov
    The Harbor Staff is trying to separate the Rules and Regulations from the City Code for
    easier understanding while Title 12 of the Code (pertaining to the Harbor) is being
    updated for consistency and accuracy. The second is a note from The Whittier Boat
    Owners Association. They are seeking folks interested in attending their meetings and
    participating in WBOAs events. Theyre a great group. Check them out.
    We hope that in 2009 we will see some great things happening on our waterfront. We are
    working hard to get the marina floats replaced, the sheet-pile installed, the boardwalk
    replaced, the Harbor Building improved or rebuilt and a dozen other projects that we
    believe we can accomplish. Everything takes time and money. It also takes heartand
    that weve got!
    Great news! If they follow through, then we may not see the backed up traffic at the ramp that we were anticipating!

Lanes dedicated to each way. That would be perfect. But I can see problems with some idiots who don't know or don't care what the rules are. Probably the same people who go to the "12 items or less" lanes at the grocery store with a cart full, or people who like to cut in line. I hope someone is there to enforce it. I'd be in favor of fines just to keep some people in line (no pun intended). Also wonder about whether or not launch fees will be increasing.

Before the lanes were directionaly dedicated it would be akward to call someone an idiot for going the wrong way. Now, if they are marked and someone messes up the flow, its easier to let em' have an ear full. My patients for monkeys at Alaska's boat ramps is gone!

Quote Originally Posted by Myers View Post
    Before the lanes were directionaly dedicated it would be akward to call someone an idiot for going the wrong way. Now, if they are marked and someone messes up the flow, its easier to let em' have an ear full. My patients for monkeys at Alaska's boat ramps is gone!
    I'm talking about people who would know that the lanes are directionally dedicated. So those are the idiots I'm talking about. I don't believe the lanes have ever been directionally dedicated at Whittier.

Oh I realize they have never been directionally dedicated, that's the glitch. You can't really get after someone if the lanes go either way, people just jump in and load or unload regardless, what can you really say to them?

Default directional launching

I envision one lane always launching, one lane always retrieving, and the center lane switching between launching and retrieving, depending on the day. i.e. Friday afternoon center launch, Sunday afternoon center retrieve.
    They could post a (changable) sign at the ends of the center dock to instruct those that can read.
    Specify an area for the 'Yaker charters.
    All crazy ideas, I'm sure.
    Kingfisher 2525. 225, 20, and 2hp Hondas.

maybe they'll put up some electronic signs like they have for the tunnel That ought take care of any problems

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    maybe they'll put up some electronic signs like they have for the tunnel That ought take care of any problems
    Yeah, like Whittier will pay for that!!!!!

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

You know what would be nice? A pedestrian bridge to go over the dang railroad tracks so we wouldn't have to walk a mile to/from the parking lot. That walk makes my fat cry, especially when I'm doing it at 6 am!

Quote Originally Posted by Larsenvega View Post
    You know what would be nice? A pedestrian bridge to go over the dang railroad tracks so we wouldn't have to walk a mile to/from the parking lot. That walk makes my fat cry, especially when I'm doing it at 6 am!
    There is a tunnel that goes under it. It cuts the time down considerably if you are using the east ramp. Instead of taking a left towards the main road, take a right. Just past the boat yard there is a path that heads under the tracks. It pops up by the east ramp/ferry terminal.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

I want to see Grey on a pink bike this year!!

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    There is a tunnel that goes under it. It cuts the time down considerably if you are using the east ramp. Instead of taking a left towards the main road, take a right. Just past the boat yard there is a path that heads under the tracks. It pops up by the east ramp/ferry terminal.
    Are you serious? I went out of Whittier 10+ times last season and never knew that. On one of my first trips down there, the parking lot lady asked me which ramp I was headed towards. I told her that I was at the west ramp, and she told me to take the long way around. In my head, I was like, "what other way is there?". It all makes sense now...

Quote Originally Posted by Larsenvega View Post
    Are you serious? I went out of Whittier 10+ times last season and never knew that. On one of my first trips down there, the parking lot lady asked me which ramp I was headed towards. I told her that I was at the west ramp, and she told me to take the long way around. In my head, I was like, "what other way is there?". It all makes sense now...
    If you use the east ramp and you park on the east side of the parking lot, I would guess it would cut your walk in half. If you use the west ramp, probably not.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast