Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any word of Winter Draw Postponed?

Default Any word of Winter Draw Postponed?

Heard that there was grief from the general public about having the moose drawing in the winter. People are saying that F&G slid one past them. Now there is talk that the moose drawing will be held in the spring. Any one hear the same or better info?

Default Haven't heard that..

but I did hear or read that they were going to do ALL drawing hunts at once next winter. No winter and spring, but just one.

Default Haven't heard of any uproars

Where are you hearing that someone was upset? First I've heard of it.

F&G is changing the 2 period system. It will be in the winter.

From F&G website....

Beginning Winter 2009-2010,
    The Division of Wildlife Conservation will be returning to ONE application period for ALL drawing permit hunts. Details are still being determined, but the application period will be during the winter, and be open for a longer period of time, with drawing permit winners announced earlier in the spring than the current July announcement.

Additional details will be available in the spring drawing supplement available in May 2009.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

It was the same way it has been for the last several years. The same trophy draw tags were in the winter supplement that were in there last year more or less. The bulk of the moose draw is still in the spring supplement just as it has been.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    It was the same way it has been for the last several years. The same trophy draw tags were in the winter supplement that were in there last year more or less. The bulk of the moose draw is still in the spring supplement just as it has been.
    Not entirely. There was a few moose hunts (unit 20 any bull hunts) that was in the winter drawing period this year that used to be in the spring/summer draw. I should know since I used my 3 moose choices on these hunts in hopes that less people will apply, or not notice until it was too late.

Default any bull in 20

They changed unit 20 for any bull to a winter draw this year, but next year all draws will be in the winter. Now if I can just pull a S.E. elk tag, I know where I'll be pulling the trigger!!
    Even a jackass won't stumble on the same stone twice.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Not entirely. There was a few moose hunts (unit 20 any bull hunts) that was in the winter drawing period this year that used to be in the spring/summer draw. I should know since I used my 3 moose choices on these hunts in hopes that less people will apply, or not notice until it was too late.
    I expected a lot of people to be ticked off that this change was made with little notification. I had our entire group put in for 20A bull permits, and none of them knew that this was being done in the winter. The only way I found out is I put in for sheep and was contemplating putting in for Koyukuk, and noticed the 20A permits. I'm hoping this works out to our advantage this year. We are 1 for 10 on the 20A any bull permits, and had to pass up bulls last year and went mooseless.

Default funny

how people will blame someone else for thier own mistakes. Common sense should tell you to read the supplement, just as you do or should do with the new hunting regs, NEVER rely on someone else to take care of you.
    Those any bull permits are the very first ones listed under the moose draw section, huge blue map, how do you miss that? Its just like society these days, everyone wants their hands held or things done for them.

The only mistake Fish & Game made was to every list, identify, or highlight changes. It should be left to the individual to make sure they know and understand whats in the Regs or Sups

Quote Originally Posted by akhunter02 View Post
    It should be left to the individual to make sure they know and understand whats in the Regs or Sups
    I'll be the first to admit that I still struggle with reading and understanding the Reg and Sups. There are others that do, too.
    Lurker.

Default Im sure

Quote Originally Posted by COtoAK View Post
    I'll be the first to admit that I still struggle with reading and understanding the Reg and Sups. There are others that do, too.
    that some first-time users of Alaska's hunting regs might have some questions or be confused about what they are reading; however, between the internet and the telephone theres no reason why they couldnt get thier questions answered. But the drawing suplements are straight forward and a first time user wouldnt know that those draws werent there last year. Anyone who has been applying for hunts over the years does not have an excuse

My info came from a source within.

There's never a shortage of whiners. Just wait for results to be posted!

Quote Originally Posted by Kenaimike View Post
    There's never a shortage of whiners. Just wait for results to be posted!
    This is nothing, wait until after the results come out!

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45 View Post
    This is nothing, wait until after the results come out!
    +1.
    Wait until we find out who won!

Default Just heard

that F & G CANCELLED all drawing hunts for 2009 due to tier II issues! GOTCHA!! Of course I will be the only winner on 2009 drawing hunts!

Angry Whiners go tell your mother.

I can't belive that enough people whined about the winter draw. Congradulations on getting the drawing for any bull postposed. The whiners should stay more informed and be dedicated hunters by paying attention and being involved. It would of been a lot nicer to plan a hunt by receiving a drawing notice in January/February but now we will have to wait until late July, thanks alot. I am going to dedicate myself now to make sure as many people I can find, to apply for the any moose hunt in 20A, I will even put them in myself. I hope the whiners aren't successfull at all. Next they will be whinig about giving permits out for Minto Flats, and that to will have to be dealt with and most likely be taken away.

Maybe it just the people that aren't true residents which aren't here all year doing the whining.

Quote Originally Posted by northway View Post
    that F & G CANCELLED all drawing hunts for 2009 due to tier II issues! GOTCHA!! Of course I will be the only winner on 2009 drawing hunts!
    WHAT?! My inside source told me that I was getting a special "any area" sheep permit starting August 1. I sure hope that didn't get canceled!

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

Default Curious

I agree that that its the individual's job to become fully aware of what hunts are available, and I don't have a dog in the fight, but I'm curious about what makes someone a 'true' resident? Are you referring to people that leave for awhile in the winter to get away? What is your rationale for blaming them (them being the undefined 'true' resident)?

Quote Originally Posted by mtnmanut View Post
    I can't belive that enough people whined about the winter draw. Congradulations on getting the drawing for any bull postposed. The whiners should stay more informed and be dedicated hunters by paying attention and being involved. It would of been a lot nicer to plan a hunt by receiving a drawing notice in January/February but now we will have to wait until late July, thanks alot. I am going to dedicate myself now to make sure as many people I can find, to apply for the any moose hunt in 20A, I will even put them in myself. I hope the whiners aren't successfull at all. Next they will be whinig about giving permits out for Minto Flats, and that to will have to be dealt with and most likely be taken away.

Maybe it just the people that aren't true residents which aren't here all year doing the whining.

Default Yeh!

Quote Originally Posted by Chisana View Post
    WHAT?! My inside source told me that I was getting a special "any area" sheep permit starting August 1. I sure hope that didn't get canceled!
    Talk to Don Young, I did today and was not pleased.

Default Curious!

Quote Originally Posted by sockeye1 View Post
    I agree that that its the individual's job to become fully aware of what hunts are available, and I don't have a dog in the fight, but I'm curious about what makes someone a 'true' resident? Are you referring to people that leave for awhile in the winter to get away? What is your rationale for blaming them (them being the undefined 'true' resident)?
    I Appoligize, I am referring to someone that claims to be a resident but lies about it and hasnn't been caught. I would not blame someone that has just left to get a little sushine.
    Just Not happy with the confussion with the draw process, and how it is and going to be screwed up this year. Good luck not getting rejected because of it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast