Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trout Unlimited

Question Trout Unlimited

I was wondering how many people on this forum are members of Trout Unlimited. I am thinking of becoming a member and just wanted to see what people think of the organization. I also was wondering what % of donations and membership dues go towards restoration and research rather than those employed by TU.

I used to be. I have not renewed in quite a few years. They do some good things in the lower 48. As far as the % to restoration Im sure if you email them they will let you know that info.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Default Agree -

lots of good works. Enjoy their calendars too, but hesitating to renew.

Last year, I emailed inquiry about allocation of funds - specifically related to Pebble. The question was referred, then never answered. That shouldn't detract from their reputation or other achievments, especially in education.

If you live in Alaska and want to donate to a good cause, look here....

http://www.sportsmansalliance4ak.org/
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    If you live in Alaska and want to donate to a good cause, look here....

http://www.sportsmansalliance4ak.org/

Thanks Dan. One of my "issues" was that Trout Unlimited is very lower 48 based. I like to keep my money here.

I live in the lower 48 and still share your opinion. Protect our last great fishery. We have exploited ours in the lower 48 beyond helping. Why do you think I fly to Alaska 2-3x/year
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default Beyond helping?

Sorry Dan, but I strongly disagree. I just fished my way up through California, Idaho and Montana two summers ago and had a blast. A few of the rivers we fished had signs noting the fact that TU was largely responsible for the river's condition. I am a firm believer in what TU does for our rivers, nation-wide.

I actually have a pie chart from one of their mailings right here: 81.7% goes to conservation programs, 3.6% to membership, 4.8% to management & general and 9.9% to fundraising. They have been given the charity navigators 4 star rating too, apparently.

They don't do a lot in Alaska, but that's only because they don't need to; at least not yet. Membership dues are cheap and they usually have some pretty good promotions so you can get something back for your money. The calendars are awesome. I was late getting-in my membership dues because we moved so I had to renew online and haven't got my calendar yet. I'm missing it terribly already!

I encourage everyone to support this organization. There are no others I know of that have been as effective in literally transforming some of our nations worst polluted rivers and protecting many others from similar fates.

C'mon guys if you love trout, you should support them everywhere you can. I'm not saying you should all kick-in a life membership. I can't afford to yet either. But $35 or $50 is cheap for what they do.

Thanks for the #'s Scott. It sounds like TU is a good investment. I will also have to look into Sportsman's Alliance.

Default Money well spent

I'm a member of TU. They do great work all over the country and if I'm not mistaken have helped lobby against the pebble mine. So they do have some impact even here in AK. It's a well run charity organization that could end up doing some very important work here in AK.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Josh Rainbow.JPG  

Thumbs up Yo dog

That is one sweet picture. Oh and I know where that is Your secret is safe with me though Nice fish and the look on your boys face is priceless

Quote Originally Posted by Scottsum View Post
    Sorry Dan, but I strongly disagree. I just fished my way up through California, Idaho and Montana two summers ago and had a blast. A few of the rivers we fished had signs noting the fact that TU was largely responsible for the river's condition.

Glad you had a nice trip. I have wanted to get out to Montana myslef but have not found the time yet. Sounds like some nice fishing for sure. But for every picture you send me of a clear Montana stream, I will send you ten with beer cans lining the banks and signs by the boat launches warning of mercury content in fish. How do they determine it is safe to eat 1-2 fish per month, but no more? This is really on the signs in a lot of rivers. Scary.

If you are fishing in Alaska, Idaho, and Montana, you are seeing the best we have to offer. Unfortunately, it is not the same all over the country.

They do more in AK than is realized.
    I know they are working hard against the Pebble mine. In South East it was the group out of Ketchikan that worked with ADF&G to set the sizes and limits for steelhead back in the 90's (one fish per day and 36 inch minimum). The chapter out of Thorn Bay use to do a stream/road clean up along the thorn river. There are other projects in South East but I don't know the exacts on them. The amount of work done in area is dependent on how active the local chapter or State Council has been. TU is a pure grass roots org that depends on people.
    TU also lets chapters keep ALL the profit from their banquets for their own projects unlike the other unlimited org out there.
    The reason we don't see more from TU in AK is because we are not in a situation of losing or reclaiming streams (other than pebble mine).
    For those of you in the lower 48, contact your closest chapter and ask when they are having a project and ask to help. You can learn alot about trout habitat that way and meet some new people with the same interest.

Past President of PA Trout (a council of Trout Unlimited)
    Past National Resource Board Member of TU
    Founder of the Tiadaghton Chapter of TU #688, Galeton, PA

Default It all takes time

I wouldn't be surprised if TU had input in many of the catch and release regulations and etc. all over this state. If not directly, at least they have helped to bring the health of our rivers here and elsewhere into our every day thoughts.

Thanks for your efforts with TU Akflyfisher. As I said earlier, I am a devout believer in what they do.

But for every picture you send me of a clear Montana stream, I will send you ten with beer cans lining the banks and signs by the boat launches warning of mercury content in fish. How do they determine it is safe to eat 1-2 fish per month, but no more? This is really on the signs in a lot of rivers. Scary.

If you are fishing in Alaska, Idaho, and Montana, you are seeing the best we have to offer. Unfortunately, it is not the same all over the country. 1 Hour Ago 21:46
    Dan, does this mean we should just give-up on these streams? TU is effective, and they are working very hard to better the disgusting condition of the rivers you're referring to. It takes time though; and money. Look at it this way. More than 80 cents out of every dollar of your contribution to TU goes directly to restoring and protecting our streams. That's a worthwhile cause if you ask me. Yes the condition of some of our streams is abysmal, but if we just give-up and don't support the organizations that are dedicated to restoring these and protecting others, it won't be long before there are no streams left to fish; even here in Alaska.

Example that I have actually fished recently:

In 1991 a railcar tipped over, spilling enough toxic waste into the upper Sacramento River in Northern California to kill 35 miles of prime trout habitat. The spill killed everything; bugs, plants, trout, you name it. Thanks to organizations like TU, the fishing is once again excellent, less than two decades after the spill. It still isn't the 7000 fish per mile it once was, but I fished it with my Dad a few months ago and was very happy with the number of fish we caught and the condition of the river. The grassroots conservation organizations actually captured insect larvae from undamaged portions of the river and carried them in coolers up to the recovering area. Many of the insects re-established themselves thanks to these efforts. The trout are mostly stocked now(they were bred from trout captured on other sections of the river, so they're still close to native) but we did catch a few natives as well. This river is well on its way to recovery, thanks to organizations like TU.

Scott, you will need to look back at my post. I never said anything negative about Trout Unlimited. Donate your money where you see fit. I just made a suggestion of a group that is a little closer to home for the OP. I am surprised with the resistance on that suggestion. Lots of good organizations out there. Some will have more impact on your home waters than others.

Default Join

They are involved in AK. Fairbanks has a very strong TU even though they limited meetings to Winter they played a Key Roll in getting a local hatchery in Fairbanks.

I have been involved with T.U. for almost 30 years from average Joe working on stream improvement projects to Board Memeber.

An organization is only as strong as its memebers.

Moose-O

Default It all begins with education...

including mine. Thanks for the information about TU's efforts, Scottsum and Akflyfisher. I'll renew my TU membership and join LitoAk in learning more about Sportsmans. I share the interest in keeping most of my $ Ak-focused, but the broader points about conservation and education truly affect us all.

It can happen here: Bit by bit, Alaskans will no doubt face the issues/conflicts associated with growing populations which have been seen in the Lower-48. Already the Kenai has benefitted from restoration projects in one of the early phases of population-associated decrement to trout streams (PADTS). PADTS is my construct for sequence of issues that seems to follow nearby (regional) population growth; something like this: trash/ trampling, then roads/ ruination, buildings/businesses then decline in water quality, fish quality, fish numbers then water quantity. Of course, it's only the cartoon concept of what we all read about in TU's publications and the media, but in the end the consequences can be quite serious; a depleted resource, or the battles we see over private v public access. The important thing for me is to recognize that yes it can happen here and although we have plenty of time, people choose up sides early in these kinds of things. Threads like this one, help me to discern from knowledgable/trusted others where I ought to be investing my support - and why.

Divisiveness and what can be done: So few themes or ideals unify outdoorsfolk broadly. But, now is a great time to identify a few ideals (or organizations) we can support. Habitat preservation might be one issue we can stand solidly behind. I hope so. The agreement in this thread about TU's reputation in this area is important to recognize. So yes, I better send that membership renewal! Learning about other organizations, the Sportsmans Alliance for Ak, (mentioned by Dan), and maybe Ak Backcountry Hunters & Anglers (http://alaskabackcountryhunters.org/) too is something else I will do. As organizations also dedicated to habitat preservation, their role in educating us all about protecting the resources/ideals we value matters. Thanks for the helpful facts and perspectives.

Default No resistance here

Scott, you will need to look back at my post. I never said anything negative about Trout Unlimited. Donate your money where you see fit. I just made a suggestion of a group that is a little closer to home for the OP. I am surprised with the resistance on that suggestion. Lots of good organizations out there. Some will have more impact on your home waters than others.
    You're not getting any resistance from me Dan. I think it's our duty to support as many conservation groups as we can afford. It just sounded like you had given up hope on the polluted streams in your area and I'm just trying to shed some positive light on what organizations like TU are trying to do to restore some of those streams.

You're right, there are lots of good organizations out there, I'm simply advocating TU as that's what the OP asked about.

I also agree with Moose and the earlier poster. These organizations are only as good as their members. How about checking with your local TU chapter (or friends of rivers, or similar) and taking your new raft out on a river clean-up project to remove some of those beer cans you mentioned.

I'm not preaching here, as I too need to get more involved.

I seem to recall hearing about Alaska Flyfishers or something like that as an organization that heads-up the "Kenai River Clean-up" weekend every spring.
    Anyone know more about this?

I haven't looked into the sportsman's alliance yet, but I will. Thanks for the tip.

Default Sign the Pebble Mine Petition

I just signed the Pebble Mine petition on Sportsman's Alliance's website. It took less than 5 minutes.

For the record, I am typically a conservative voter and I usually support development, as long as it is done safely. IMO Pebble Mine is too big a risk, with too few direct benefits to our state.

I encourage everyone to sign this petition and get behind this effort.

Thanks for posting the link Dan, here's the link to the petition:

http://www.sportsmansalliance4ak.org...ristolBay.html

Here's a link to TU's Bristol Bay page as well:

http://www.savebristolbay.org/site/c....BE39/Home.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Scottsum View Post
    It just sounded like you had given up hope on the polluted streams in your area and I'm just trying to shed some positive light on what organizations like TU are trying to do to restore some of those streams.
    Now I got you man. Makes sense. I got off tangent there a bit. Thinking about organizations like Trout Unlimited and Sportsman's Alliance just reminded me of how dire circumstances are elsewhere.

Thanks go out to those of you that have signed the online Sporting Conservation Petition.

I just got back from the Denver Fly Fishing Show, where I represented the Sportsman's Alliance for AK in our effort to get the word out to the lower 48 fishing community about the possible negative effects that the proposed Pebble Project might have on the wonderful resources of Bristol Bay.

I have 3 more shows in the lower 48, in Bellevue WA (feb 6-7-8), Portland OR (feb 14-15), and Pleasanton CA (feb 27-mar 1), so if you happen to be reading this and live in or near these communities, I invite you to stop by the booth and check out the info we have to offer, or just chat about AK.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast