Thread: Favorite Load for a .300RSAUM

Question Favorite Load for a .300RSAUM

Yep, I'm that "Guy".
    Bought a .300 RSAUM (Model 7) several years ago a when they came available and put a ton of money into it. As time goes by, any and all componets for this gun is getting harder and harder to come by.
    Does anyone have a load they're currently using that's consistent? I looking for 140-160gr for Caribou and 180-200 for Moose.

Default Past experience

I am not presently using the 300 RSAUM have had two different rifles chambered in this cartridge: Remington 700LTR (for duty use) and a Model 7 AWR that I only hunted once with and killed a small black bear. I never loaded any hunting bullets in the 300RSAUM only the 190gr Sierra MatchKings. I found the load I had developed that shot well out of the 700 also had very good accuracy from the Model 7. Brass was RP, stuffed with RL19 and IMR4350 somewhere around 2900fps average velocity. Not much help for you, but, if it is any consolation I actually preferred the RSAUM to the WSM. I know a little less case capacity but I trusted the feeding of the RSAUM over the steeper shouldered WSM. It is too bad that the RSAUM is about gone, I moved all the 300SAUM dies and brass on 3 years ago or so. I've gone thru a lot of different rifles without looking back, but that Model 7 was one of the ones I still think about. I've even considered finding a Model 7AWR in 7SAUM. Remington wants an outrageous price for a new one from the custom shop and they no longer put them in McMillan stocks. What I like about the 7SAUM is that it is a ballistic twin to the 280AI (one of my all time favorites).

"AND YE SHALL KNOW THE TRUTH AND THE TRUTH SHALL MAKE YOU FREE."

JOHN VIII - XXXII

Default ???

Quote Originally Posted by CW4 View Post
    Yep, I'm that "Guy".
    Bought a .300 RSAUM (Model 7) several years ago a when they came available and put a ton of money into it. As time goes by, any and all componets for this gun is getting harder and harder to come by.
    Does anyone have a load they're currently using that's consistent? I looking for 140-160gr for Caribou and 180-200 for Moose.
    what all did you have done to your gun? I've had the model 7 in a 300. for about 4 years BUT haven't reloaded for it. thanks

Talking You name it.....

I put way more money into this rifle than I should have ......Yes, I'm that guy. You know and met him several times, the guy who reads forums, listens to alot of friends who he trusts and sets out to do what he truely thinks is right. Then later fines out......wrong choice. Much like Timber Smith, he had two before he moved on.
    Things done to the gun ....so far,
    1. Kevlar Stock
    2. Kryo'd the Barrel
    3. Fluted the factory Barrel
    4. Muzzle Brake
    5. Trigger work
    6. Machined the bolt and handle to reduce weight
    7. Leopold mounts rings and 4-14x44mm scope

I like the way it shoots (recoil) and and it's super-lightweight. My goal is to shoot less than 1 MOA's at a 100yds. It might not do it, but "hey" I like the challenge.

Default thanks

for the reply. Yea I was gonna dump some $$$ into mine BUT then I figured the elk DON'T no the difference!!!

Default 300 saum

Take a look over on the 24 hour CampFire website. There is a post on this very subject running that has some very interesting info on it. I have a 700 LTR and a model 7 that my 11 year old shoots. I have a very accurate load using 4350 but am waiting on some RL 17 powder that from all reports should shine in the 300 SAUM (hope to find out soon).