Thread: Burris Bushness 4200 or Leupold

Default Burris Bushnell 4200 or Leupold

OK, I know this is a Leupy crowd but I've got a decision to make and need some input.
    I am looking for a new scope for a 300WSM.
    I can get the Burris 4.5-14 X42 with range finder(I'm sure is not good) for $330
    Burris 3-9x40 with binos or GPS for about $200
    Bushnell Elite 4200 for $300
    OR Luepy for $330(bullet drop reticle)

What are pros/cons? I want water/fog proof. It would be nice to save the extra $100 and use on something else but if the Burris is junk I don't want to waste $200/$300. I'm in Missouri so constant wet weather isn't an issue like Alaska but I do plan to hunt CO and AK some day.
    TIA
    Justin

Default Decide what kind of hunting will be its primary use

Welcome to the forum! I can give you a couple of ideas to help you choose your scope. First, decide what the primary use will be, and what matches the rifle for size and weight. If you bought an ultralight rifle, generally you will want to use a compact scope, and lightweight rings and bases. If you will do most of your shooting at ranges up to 300 yards, you will probably be happy with a 1.75-6X, 2.5-8X, 3-9X, or a 3.5-10X. They are found in all the manufacturers' lines, and in the price range you are looking at, very good optics can be purchased. In the high quality brands, you will find features on each one that you may prefer--smoothness of operation on the focus and magnification ring, long eye relief, light weight, finger grip knobs for windage and elevation, appearance, reticle design, etc.

I recommend making your choice based on the scope only, and then if another item is thrown in, consider it a bonus. Go to a shop where you can view through several of the scopes you are considering, "side by side". Be sure the scopes are in proper focus before you compare them, and compare them all at the same multiplication. You will soon be able to discern which ones you like looking through the best, and you can narrow your choice down from there.

Bushnell's Rain Guard lens coating is very effective in wet weather. Leupold has really good scopes with superb warranty service and factory backup. Those are some ideas for you--let us know how you end up.

Jim

Here are some scopes I'd recommend in no order of favoritism and I would use any of them anywhere:

The new Nikon Monarch 2-8x32 w/BDC reticle-$300

The new Sightron SII 3-9x40 w/Hunter Holdover reticle-less than $250

Leupold VXII 3-9x40 w/Long Range duplex-$330

Bushnell Elite 4200 3-9x40 w/std plex-$290

I didn't leave Burris out because I don't like them but because in order to be in the catagory of the scopes I recommended I feel you would have to go to the Signiture Series and they cost more than the above scopes.
    I also left out the 4.5-14 power scope because I feel for an all around scope that 4.5x is a little much at the low power end for quick/close-up shooting.

Just my opinion. Hope it helps.

Leupy crowd? Hah.

I love Burris. Got one on a 300 Weatherby and my Armalite 50 BMG. I wouldn't trade them for anything. Got a signature on the 300 and a Black Diamond on the BMG. I have had a Burris Fullfield on another 300 Weatherby and it was fine, but the Signature Series has better optics/build quality. One thing about Burris, the Forever Warranty. They are known for their great customer service. Both my Burris scopes are dead on and hold their zero. A nice feature on the guns I have them on. I can not speak high enough of Burris. I know the deal you speak of on the Fullfield. A ton of scope for the money and it may very well suit your needs. If you can, put some extra money in and get a signature series Burris. I have no doubts you would be happy with it. Get the best rings and consider lapping them. Midway USA has a cheap lapping kit for about $40. Easy to do and comes with instructions. PM me if any info needed. Below is a link to my suggestion. I have the 6-24 electro dot on my Weatherby. Amazing scope for 8 years or so now. Had the Black Diamond 8-32 on the 50 BMG for three years with flawless performance.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...760&hasJS=true
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

I have both Burris & Bushnell scopes & think they are superior to Leupolds... I like the Burris signature series & the Bushnell Elite 4200. Have them both & haven't a lick of problems w/ them unlike the Leupolds ( yes more than one ) I have had....

Well I went with the Bushnell 4200. I had the Leupold VX-II and returned it. I have now doubt it's a good scope but the Rainguard adds a lot of value. All other asplect of those 2 scopes were about equal. The burris I just couldn't get comfortable with that it would be a lifetime scope in bad weather and the entire eye piece adjusts so a Butler Creek cap is difficult to use.

Thanks for all the info. Although I'm in MO I frequently lurk here a lot. I figure if equipment will stand up in Alaska it should be just fine for what I current hunt and when I get enough $$(kids out of the house and off to college) and can start going to CO, AK and Canada on hunts.

Thanks again.
    Justin

Default scope

I have a leupold 3x9 40mm with the long rang reticle and I love it. It is om a 7mm rem mag I did side by side comparison with the same scopes you had mentioned and the leupold seemed to be the best all the way around. but you have to go with you gut. good luck